Sign in to follow this  
Plasmodium

Iowa lineup 2017-2018

I could see Sorensen, Kemerer, Marinelli, Young, and Stoll, but wouldn't hold my breath about anybody else. But I don't see either Marinelli or Young very high up the All-American stand, and is Stoll going to get healthy? They'll likely finish top ten, certainly, but I see about 75 points as a ceiling for this team, and I'm not sure that'll be enough to get into the top five.

That said, other than Ohio State and Penn State, the rest of the upper-echelon does seem to be mildly weaker than this past year.

Marinelli and Young seem like a bit of a stretch. They could, but would need to show vast improvement.

Not a knock on them, they are just both in stacked weight classes with a ton of returning AAs and I don't think either has beaten any of the AAs in college.

Marinelli and Young seem like a bit of a stretch. They could, but would need to show vast improvement.

Not a knock on them, they are just both in stacked weight classes with a ton of returning AAs and I don't think either has beaten any of the AAs in college.

House, I was trying to be most optimistic towards Iowa for that listing. Wasn't looking for slam-dunk All-Americans, just guys who could land on the AA stand.

58 AA's the past 10 seasons under Brands.  That is almost an average of 6 per season.  13 of those AA'd their first time wrestling "varsity".  I am not saying that anyone other than Sorenson and Kemerer are Finalist contenders but I would put the Over/Under at 5.  Obviously, health is a huge factor, but excepting injury, I see Sorenson, Kemerer, Marinelli and Stoll AAing with 1 or 2 of Happel, Turk, Young or Wilcke sneaking onto the podium.  With what everyone else has(waaaaay behind PSU and tOSU)  I could see them contending for a 3rd place finish.  Considering this is by far the biggest rebuild Iowa has had under Brands, if they take 3rd that would be one hell of year for what they will be putting on the mat!

Guest Kingsland

Jordan Rogers (I think he has year left) or Jacobe Smith moves up?

Honestly, I was thinking they were almost two deep at every weight except heavy and I didn't actually look at the roster until you called me out.

Keegan Moore maybe.

MSU I will take the under without hesitation. This is middle of pack Big 10 lineup that won't be close the podium at Nationals. (PSU, tOSU, OSU, Michigan, Minnesota, Lehigh, Arizona State, Missouri, Rutgers, Illinois) I am sure I am missing some.

I'll take Iowa States redshirt to outscore the Iowa redshirts at Nationals

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Someone has to say this.  Tbar attempted.  MSU attempted.  A bunch of folks have attempted. 

As wrestling fans, we ALL enjoy it when we see talent and achievement.  We ALL enjoy identifying the next 4x'er before anyone else does, the next World Champion, etc. etc. etc. 

But... this idolatry of Iowa has reached "religious" levels, whereby no amount of "common sense" and/or facts will deter the Iowa Faithful from the fact that they will NOT have a Top Team next year.  Be humble.  Be realistic.  Encourage your team, your coaches, and your community to band together to fight the pendulum swing to PSU/tOSU.  But... please be realistic about your expectations.  How many folks picked Anthony Valencia to take the world by storm at 165?  He didn't even AA.  How many people, after NaTo won his first title at 125, thought he had the makings of the next 4x'er?  (guilty here).  Same with IMART. 

As TBar pointed out, Michigan will have a VERY good team next year (possibly Top 3-5 if all turns out well).  Their team, up and down the lineup, will beat Iowa, given the lineups posted thus far.  PSU has this in the bag next year, with tOSU bringing as much heat as they can.  Otherwise, it's a fight for 3rd, and there are 5 other teams (than Iowa) that will have their say about that.  Michigan, Okie State, VT, heck... even Lehigh, Nebraska, etc. etc. etc.

So... although I applaud the Iowan's fandom... let's have a reality check.  Stoll isn't beating Snyder.  No one from Iowa will dethrone the PSU train from 149-184, and the amount of AA's being predicted from the next Top 20 teams are greater than the available number of AA's given. 

So... here's to a fanastic Big Ten season for 2017/2018.  I'd like to see Iowa competitive, as it's healthy for the sport... but... I just.. don't... see it...

You say that yet you secretly love Iowa being "down", just like your fellow fake PSU fans who want to congratulate us after a season. You want to see us fail because we dominated the sport for so long. Enjoy Cael and his recruiting but don't pretend like you want Iowa to ever be beating PSU.

You say that yet you secretly love Iowa being "down", just like your fellow fake PSU fans who want to congratulate us after a season. You want to see us fail because we dominated the sport for so long. Enjoy Cael and his recruiting but don't pretend like you want Iowa to ever be beating PSU.

Doesn't look good for your boys...Mark Hall slapped Marinelli silly tonight.  157 to 174...there isn't a Nittany Lion he can beat.

Haha yeah he won but last time I checked folk matters more and my guy will be there Saturday night in March...I doubt yours will be.

Let's review:

PSU wins NCAA's in March with titles in every weight class from 149 - 184

PSU has all their titleists AND Suriano and Cortez coming back

Iowa 4th at nationals and losing A LOT

Gilman lost in semis

Teasdale flipped (apparently Lee isn't his only friend in PA)

Iowa State happened

Metcalf's a Cyclone now

HWC not a factor again this freestyle cycle

Lee got hurt

Instead of worrying about PSU, prepare the Hawks to worry about Michigan.

#truthhurtshawks