Sign in to follow this  
Plasmodium

Iowa lineup 2017-2018

Oooo Jered Cortez who left Illinois because he was mentally weak and couldn't beat Zane Richards. I'm so worried about him. He's also almost as old as Pat Downey, he's maxed out. He'll be lucky to be a R12 guy. Teasdale isn't a man of his word, oh well. It is what it is and good luck to him.

2/3 years and we will be back on top baby. I'm so sick and tired of hearing about Cael this and Cael that. He takes top 5 P4P who live the right lifestyle and puts them in a room together. A monkey could coach that team to win NCAA titles.

Oooo Jered Cortez who left Illinois because he was mentally weak and couldn't beat Zane Richards. I'm so worried about him. He's also almost as old as Pat Downey, he's maxed out. He'll be lucky to be a R12 guy. Teasdale isn't a man of his word, oh well. It is what it is and good luck to him.

2/3 years and we will be back on top baby. I'm so sick and tired of hearing about Cael this and Cael that. He takes top 5 P4P who live the right lifestyle and puts them in a room together. A monkey could coach that team to win NCAA titles.

I've read many of your posts and generally enjoy what you write. Sometimes I agree with you and sometimes I don't, but in this thread you're seriously coming off like a hypocritical jerk.

Cael is a great coach who is beloved by his wrestlers and promotes a fun positive environment.

Tony Ramos has some choice words in his opinion of Tom Brands.

Brent Metcalf didn't even seek Tom Brands advice or opinion when negotiating with Iowa State.

I just watched the Daniel Dennis biopic on Flo and he refers to the Iowa room as intense hell and the Brands bros as "crazy bastards"

This super intense Iowa stsyle system works for some and not for others. There's no right or wrong. And if you think "A monkey" could create an NCAA Championship program, I guess your beloved Brands bros are less coaches than a monkey right now!

@HawkFanactic1 All that, and you fixate on Cortez? LOL. How about your #1 recruit getting his arse kicked? Cael's really in your head. I didn't mention him once. Maybe people would take you seriously if you knew how to spell "fanatic". LOL

In freestyle homie, his first ever freestyle tournament in a match he was smaller against a Jr World Champ. I knew he was going to lose that match. It's freestyle I don't care. LOL I spell everything correct, the Fanactic was a joke. You really don't understand what Iowa's about and from your handle, you became a PSU fan in 2011. Wrestling has been going on a long time.

And. The. Dynasty. Is. Coming. Back.

In freestyle homie, his first ever freestyle tournament in a match he was smaller against a Jr World Champ. I knew he was going to lose that match. It's freestyle I don't care. LOL I spell everything correct, the Fanactic was a joke. You really don't understand what Iowa's about and from your handle, you became a PSU fan in 2011. Wrestling has been going on a long time.

And. The. Dynasty. Is. Coming. Back.

Wow...

a.) Metcalf cared about Freestyle

b.) Ramos cares about Freestyle

c.) McDonough (sp?) cared about Freestyle

d.) Brands Bros. care(s)(d) about Freestyle

All wrestlers have an option to continue their passion once they leave the collegiate ranks.  Right now, to pursue their passion, it's Freestyle, Greco, or MMA.  My "gut" tells me that the "Iowa Style" DOES care about freestyle, so the question becomes, do you really understand what Iowa is about?  To me, Iowa represents all that is and could be RIGHT with our sport.  It represents a masterful historical context, that has bred today's wrestling environment.  Without Iowa, we most likely wouldn't have our sport, and our athletes, where they are at today. 

So... please stop with the incessant entitled millennial bs, and realize that the others on this thread are a.) not out to get you, and b.) find no real joy in seeing Iowa having an off year.  Is it "nice" to know that other Big Ten teams are on top right now?  Absolutely.... do we ALL realize that a healthy and competitive Iowa is BETTER for our sport?  Absolutely.  Do we know that you've become a really decent troll?  Yup...

When I said it was freestyle, I don't care it means that I don't care about THE BULL's results in freestyle right now. It was his first ever freestyle tournament and it wasn't to go and win it, it was to go and get better. That's what he did. And he proved himself to be an AA threat with his performance. Is that so hard for you people to understand?

When I said it was freestyle, I don't care it means that I don't care about THE BULL's results in freestyle right now. It was his first ever freestyle tournament and it wasn't to go and win it, it was to go and get better. That's what he did. And he proved himself to be an AA threat with his performance. Is that so hard for you people to understand?

Yes....

Anthony Valencia just placed 4th at the US Senior Open.  He did not AA this past year.  I'll "give" you this... is "The Bull" an AA threat?  Sure.  However, he is just as likely to DNP as well. 

Question:  The Bull is from Ohio.  Would you be "all about The Bull" if he went to tOSU?  I doubt it.  Why?  Because you really (not many of us do) have personal ties to these guys.  They (he) just happens to be enrolled at your school of choice.  Cool... now that that's settled...

Anthony Valencia was also cutting too much weight, has a weak gas tank as it is, and needs to develop more than a quick double. If Anthony Valencia was at 174, does he AA? Yes absolutely. He's also a weak mat wrestler. THE BULL is in phenomenal shape always, has varied offensive attacks, good mat wrestler and won't be cutting hard next year.

Plus AV is a far better freestyler than folk whereas it's the other way around for THE BULL

@HawkFanactic1 I'm in your head now. I know it because now you have nothing meaningful to say about wrestling so now you're examining my profile....and everyone reading this thread knows it. ROTFLMAO

Edited by PANewbie

If they don't finish top 10, will Brands be out of a job?

Chiming in late.    At the Open I sat with some people in the know who mentioned Mark Perry as someone Iowa wants to look at closely in terms of coming in and taking over.    Perry was 3 seats over from me,  but the dude was glued to the action and I didn't want to bug him.    I imagine he wouldn't have conceded anything other than a political type response.   Not sure, I don't know him.     I think it would be great for Iowa and he has a pipeline to Cali where he's been pulling top level studs.    Iowa, Cali, Illinois, NJ, Oklahoma, that's some talent rich areas to recruit from.         I'd like to see it.   

Chiming in late. At the Open I sat with some people in the know who mentioned Mark Perry as someone Iowa wants to look at closely in terms of coming in and taking over. Perry was 3 seats over from me, but the dude was glued to the action and I didn't want to bug him. I imagine he wouldn't have conceded anything other than a political type response. Not sure, I don't know him. I think it would be great for Iowa and he has a pipeline to Cali where he's been pulling top level studs. Iowa, Cali, Illinois, NJ, Oklahoma, that's some talent rich areas to recruit from. I'd like to see it.

I would rather Zalesky come back than get Mark Perry. He may be the most hated Iowa alum and that includes Dresser.

I would rather Zalesky come back than get Mark Perry. He may be the most hated Iowa alum and that includes Dresser.

How would  staff of Perry, Mocco, and Gumby (drawing a blank on the name of the guy who beat Brands at OTT) go over in Iowa City?   

That staff might be able to mold some kids into AA's and champions.   

Please do tell me where Verkleeren fits into the line up? I'd much rather have Nelson Brands, at least he doesn't quit in All Star matches and lay on his back and get pinned.

149 post Zain, unless Berge or Lee beats him out for the spot. 

I would say he is likely better than Lee, but worse than Berge. With that said, there is plenty of time for all to improve, grow, etc. 

My dream Iowa staff would be Terry Brands as HC, Jared Frayer as HAC, David Taylor as the 3rd assistant and heir apparent, and Ian Miller as volunteer assistant. As HWC coaches, I'd like to have Metcalf and Dennis. That'd be far and away the best staff in the country.

Yes I said David Taylor because I like what he brings to the table in terms of recruiting, knowledge, and ability. It would still give him the ability to train and he would be coached by the best freestyle coach there is (Terry Brands). Tom Brands I would prefer out.

My dream Iowa staff would be Terry Brands as HC, Jared Frayer as HAC, David Taylor as the 3rd assistant and heir apparent, and Ian Miller as volunteer assistant. As HWC coaches, I'd like to have Metcalf and Dennis. That'd be far and away the best staff in the country.

Yes I said David Taylor because I like what he brings to the table in terms of recruiting, knowledge, and ability. It would still give him the ability to train and he would be coached by the best freestyle coach there is (Terry Brands). Tom Brands I would prefer out.

Someone needs to forward this gem to Tom Brands. Copy Morningstar too.

Edited by TBar1977

149 post Zain, unless Berge or Lee beats him out for the spot.

I would say he is likely better than Lee, but worse than Berge. With that said, there is plenty of time for all to improve, grow, etc.

I like that PSU is attracting kids that don't fear competing or waiting for a spot in the lineup. Improves depth and competition in the room and is a statement that they're not afraid of a challenge. Good programs can draw kids with drive - kids that don't back down. Gable attracted that kind of depth during Iowa's glory years - Cael seems to be emphasizing depth and is building a Gablesque roster.

Oh .... and since this is an Iowa thread, Brands has an opportunity to demonstrate that he is an elite coach this year as many do not rate Iowa highly this year. We shall see.

Edited by swoopdown