Sign in to follow this  
Housebuye

College Wrestling Rules - Move towards Freestyle?

Should college rules move closer to Freestyle?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Should college rules move closer to Freestyle?

• Yes
    • No

It seems like many of the rule changes over the past few years have moved college Folkstyle closer and closer to Freestyle. 

Do you want this trend to continue? Will this improve the USA's ability to compete on the International stage? Should we stick to Folkstyle and only make rule changes that improve Folkstyle? 

The last few years we've seen the best brand of folkstyle in the history of college wrestling (defined by how long I've been watching closely which is since 2000).  Every rule change that increases action has made the sport better.  More of this please!  And can high school pull it's head out of it's butt and make better changes as well?

Is the original statement even true? What rules, other than out of bounds stalling have taken college closer to freestyle, keeping in mind that the proposed rules for next year have not yet been approved?

Man, you're on a roll today!

I was thinking the same thing.

And wasn't it RPW that adopted the pushout that made FILA consider it when they saw how it solved one of the sport's problems?

I am not even sure how I would identify a move towards freestyle. What makes freestyle freestyle? I mean, the rules have changes so much over the years...

But the obvious problem with moving to freestyle is the issue of who controls it. Within a few years of adoption of UWW rules, the NCAA freestyle and UWW freestyle will look completely different as Russians or Iranians will push through some rule and have another change to the sport, and that is even if you think the NCAA coaches won't lobby for their own rules on the NCAA side.

It is best to keep the sport that is known to millions of people who have a connection to youth, high school, or college wrestling, even if it will cost the occasional medal at the Olympics.

Also, it would seem that this poll's timing would lend it to a freestyle bias since it is US Open time and college wrestling fans have largely tuned out.

1.  Replace folkstyle top/bottom with freestyle par terre turns/forced standup after 30 seconds.  

2.  Add exposure points.  

Just make those two changes.  We don't need everything to be the same as freestyle, but we need those two things to change. 

Otherwise, we will keep having our stars of the sport largely fail at the level of competition that matters.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

Is the original statement even true? What rules, other than out of bounds stalling have taken college closer to freestyle, keeping in mind that the proposed rules for next year have not yet been approved?

I'm assuming many of the proposed rules will be implemented. I assume you would agree if that is accurate.

Technically you are correct

I'm assuming many of the proposed rules will be implemented. I assume you would agree if that is accurate.

Technically you are correct

Are you talking about the suggestion to replace the folkstyle challenge flag with a foam brick like they have in freestyle?  I don't think that change would hurt folkstyle much if at all...Come on, it's not like they're using the angry bird as the challenge brick.  

I don't think Nenad Lalovic is going to come out from behind a curtain and do the draws for the NCAA tournament with his assistant. Don't panic yet.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

Are you talking about the suggestion to replace the folkstyle challenge flag with a foam brick like they have in freestyle? I don't think that change would hurt folkstyle much if at all...Come on, it's not like they're using the angry bird as the challenge brick.

I don't think Nenad Lalovic is going to come out from behind a curtain and do the draws for the NCAA tournament with his assistant. Don't panic yet.

If they bring in the foam brick, folkstyle as we know it is over

Honestly, I think that if the NCAA went towards a Freestyle-like format, with some nods to American Folk, you'd see UWW start looking west and adopting the style that the U.S./NCAA came up with. The rules are good now, but there remains room for improvement.

1. Replace folkstyle top/bottom with freestyle par terre turns/forced standup after 30 seconds.

2. Add exposure points.

Just make those two changes. We don't need everything to be the same as freestyle, but we need those two things to change.

Otherwise, we will keep having our stars of the sport largely fail at the level of competition that matters.

Yeah let's definitely not. Let's have the freestyle stars go to RTC's and focus on freestyle while the other 99% wrestle the greatest sport ever invented known as folkstyle in college and get a degree and move on in life.

Yeah let's definitely not. Let's have the freestyle stars go to RTC's and focus on freestyle while the other 99% wrestle the greatest sport ever invented known as folkstyle in college and get a degree and move on in life.

Uhhhhhhh, no.

People here have long said that a switch to American Folk would benefit only six to eight guys. That's simply not true. If we had a clear path to a professional option and went with it, that path (a hybrid style of Free and American Folk) would create more options for guys who want to take part in it. This sort of thing would create more depth on the U.S. team, RTCs would have more than a handful of guys at each of them and the change would make this country's International wrestling far stronger than it is now.

Growing up and wrestling in the 70's and 80's, my perception was always that college wrestling was "different" than HS rules anyway.  Longer matches (Like Freestyle), riding time, more aggressive stalling (like Freestyle's passivity), etc.  

I don't think striving to take the best elements of both can possibly hurt the product.  Sure, there are some Freestyle scoring head-scratchers that even the wrestlers and coaches struggle to understand.  That element of Freestyle needs to be avoided at all costs.  The push out has been a roaring success from my perspective as a spectator.  More points for takedowns, back exposure, and limiting mat wrestling with no scoring are all positive elements of Freestyle that we could incorporate. Maintaining a focus on control, some significant opportunity to work on top, etc. are all positives of Folkstyle that we should keep, imo.

Somehow incorporating guts and laces at the college level (and eventually younger), I would think would improve our biggest weakness in Freestyle, but I suppose that might be too much.  One only has to look at the community reaction here in Columbia to Cox's Olympic run to recognize that International success is good for wrestling at all levels and anything we can do to increase that is a net good.

Why change a system that has been working for a style that may not even be in the Olympics in 2024 and beyond? A system of mass corruption? Why change our entire system for that? For 6-8 guys every year to have marginally more success?

This^.

Why change a system that has been working for a style that may not even be in the Olympics in 2024 and beyond?

This is the incredibly short-sighted point of view that seems to be prevalent among people among people who haven't been around the sport very long.

The World Championships are back to eight weight classes in years that are not the Olympic Games. That is a very solid sign of health in the sport and progress from the threats the IOC leveled prior to the 2016 Games.

Not a single coach at the Division I level would tell you that the pinnacle of the sport is NCAA wrestling.

A system of mass corruption? Why change our entire system for that?

No one said to hand the keys to UWW. NCAA and USAW can work together to, as stated above, develop a style that takes from both Free and American Folk.

The other aspect you forget is that the United States/NBC owns the Olympic market. With wrestling becoming stronger again and the United States developing a forward vision for the sport, money talks. American dollars would make for a strong opportunity to make the changes this country wants, if invested on the world scale.

For 6-8 guys every year to have marginally more success?

You skipped right past the creating depth aspect of moving that direction. No one is saying that this is an overnight fix, but it will mean more opportunity for more athletes, which then means more participation.

How am I being shortsighted? We were very nearly cut from the Olympics and still may be cut. I love folkstyle, I love Tilts and the chess match that goes on on the mat.

And how does it create more participants? We still have same number of programs. I think our current system is going to produce a lot more depth with more money being poured into RTC's.

I wouldn't mind some NAIA freestyle programs, I think thatd be great for the sport.

How am I being shortsighted? We were very nearly cut from the Olympics and still may be cut. I love folkstyle, I love Tilts and the chess match that goes on on the mat.

And how does it create more participants? We still have same number of programs. I think our current system is going to produce a lot more depth with more money being poured into RTC's.

I wouldn't mind some NAIA freestyle programs, I think thatd be great for the sport.

1000% agree with you here.

In what way is folkstyle even remotely close to being as entertaining as freestyle? This is a serious question because I can't think of any. Unless those who prefer folk just don't understand the rules. In which case I would say before u say no, learn them. Give it a shot. I bet 9/10 would then agree freestyle is far better. 

In what way is folkstyle even remotely close to being as entertaining as freestyle? This is a serious question because I can't think of any. Unless those who prefer folk just don't understand the rules. In which case I would say before u say no, learn them. Give it a shot. I bet 9/10 would then agree freestyle is far better. 

in everyway absolutely no comparison