Sign in to follow this  
silver-medal

Best Program Over Last Three Years--Ohio State?

Ohio State:

1, 3rd, 2nd at NCAA's

2 Big Ten Tourney Titles

4 Time NCAA Champion

1 Olympic Gold Medalist

2 World Champions

PSU fan is going to argue all day that they've been better but the Olympic Gold and 2 World Title thing just trumps everything, doesn't it?

My apologies for "trollish" behavior.

I think it entirely depends how you qualify "best program". I argued (up until this year) that Ohio State gets guys ready faster than everyone (NATO, Myles, Logan, Kyle all had success as freshman). PSU obviously has Hall and Vincenzo, but I think this argument still stands.

It is always difficult for me to decide if international success has any bearing on where a college team should be "ranked."

How much of Snyder's success is related to being in the tOSU room?  It is hard to quantify. 

I think everyone would agree they have been one of the 5 best programs.  Ordering becomes subjective based upon what issues you rank as most important.

I think it entirely depends how you qualify "best program". I argued (up until this year) that Ohio State gets guys ready faster than everyone (NATO, Myles, Logan, Kyle all had success as freshman). PSU obviously has Hall and Vincenzo, but I think this argument still stands.

Suriano, Nickal, Nolf of current roster all had great freshman years as well. Taylor, Ruth, Nico, etc etc from a few years farther back. 

Ohio State:

1, 3rd, 2nd at NCAA's

2 Big Ten Tourney Titles

4 Time NCAA Champion

1 Olympic Gold Medalist

2 World Champions

PSU fan is going to argue all day that they've been better but the Olympic Gold and 2 World Title thing just trumps everything, doesn't it?

yes tOSU has been the best program for producing freestyle success during the past 3 years. and 2nd best NCAA program over same 3 year period.  

Interesting. Like rlw028 said.. it depends on how you qualify "best program"

Your last 3 reasons that make Ohio State the "best program" is based on the accomplishments of 2 wrestlers.

While that certainly does help your cause, where do they stand when you remove either wrestlers individual accomplishments?

In my opinion the "best program" would be the one that has the greatest cumulative accomplishments even when you remove a few of their premiere wrestlers here or there.

Penn State has the best NCAA program over any recent span of time. 10 years, 8 years, 6,5, or 3 years. it simply does not matter the length of time at 10 or fewer years as Penn State wins no matter what. Ohio State is an NCAA program first and foremost as their room doesn't even exist without their being an NCAA program. 

Additionally, FLO just ran a piece naming Penn State the best room. Based on sheer numbers FLO is correct. Just look at all the top end guys that room has going this wknd in Vegas. Far more than Ohio State.

BTW, I love the PSU - Buckeye rivalry. Great for the sport to have the two best wrestling states as prime rivals. 

Edited by TBar1977

Obviously, PSU has won the last 2 Titles so they pretty much guaranteed themselves top billing in the "last 3".  Still, if you want to "bigmik" the numbers to best suit you, there are ways to argue for tOSU.

1.) PSU has finished 6,1,1 at NCAA's  tOSU has gone 1,3,2.  So, PSU has averaged 8/3=2.667th place, while tOSU has averaged 6/2=2nd place.

2.) PSU has finished 5,2,1 at B1G's. tOSU has gone 1,3,1.  PSU again averaged 2.667th place, while tOSU improved to 1.667th place.

3.) tOSU has had at least 2 NCAA Finalists the past 3 years, PSU has not.

4.) tOSU had a wrestler win his 4th Championship during this time.  PSU has yet to have one.

5.) tOSU destroys PSU in oral hygiene, which is easily witnessed by their superior tanning techniques.

6.) Tom Ryan endorses the National Duals Concept.

Obviously, PSU has won the last 2 Titles so they pretty much guaranteed themselves top billing in the "last 3".  Still, if you want to "bigmik" the numbers to best suit you, there are ways to argue for tOSU.

1.) PSU has finished 6,1,1 at NCAA's  tOSU has gone 1,3,2.  So, PSU has averaged 8/3=2.667th place, while tOSU has averaged 6/2=2nd place.

2.) PSU has finished 5,2,1 at B1G's. tOSU has gone 1,3,1.  PSU again averaged 2.667th place, while tOSU improved to 1.667th place.

3.) tOSU has had at least 2 NCAA Finalists the past 3 years, PSU has not.

4.) tOSU had a wrestler win his 4th Championship during this time.  PSU has yet to have one.

5.) tOSU destroys PSU in oral hygiene, which is easily witnessed by their superior tanning techniques.

6.) Tom Ryan endorses the National Duals Concept.

You forgot that O comes before P in the alphabet. 

You forgot that O comes before P in the alphabet. 

I couldn't really use that.  Everyone in the "we" community should know that "t" must go in front of Ohio State University whenever referencing the Buckeyes.  Now I could have used B before N......

10 dual losses the last 3 years.  Pathetic. 

I should have used that as well.  Thanks to Cael, nothing matters other than March.  As such, I have proven without any possible doubt that tOSU has been superior in March.  Just look at the numbers above.  Everyone in the "we" community should know this.

Tom Ryan has also destroyed the importance of duals by frequently wrestling back-ups and preventing marquee match-ups in duals. At least Cael wrestles his guys in duals, he just doesn't support a dual tournament because that's who he is. They both are flawed looking after the best interest of their own rather than the sport. But hey they don't get paid to grow the sport, just their program.

While I like your criteria (pushed Nebraska up in the rankings), I don't buy it.

The best college program is the one with the most success in college.  I do not buy when people claim a FB program is better than another because of the number of NFL draft choices. 

While I like your criteria (pushed Nebraska up in the rankings), I don't buy it.

The best college program is the one with the most success in college. I do not buy when people claim a FB program is better than another because of the number of NFL draft choices.

For the most they go hand in hand because it's not all about the X's and O's, more about the Jimmy's and Joe's (same applies with wrestling)

For the most they go hand in hand because it's not all about the X's and O's, more about the Jimmy's and Joe's (same applies with wrestling)

There is a lot of overlap but there are a large number of exceptions. While most Heisman trophy winners are drafted in the 1st round, there have been a number drafted later (since 1990, 9 fell out of the 1st round). 

Another example is Troy Aikman, who transferred out of Oklahoma to become the 1st player chosen in the draft (he went to UCLA). The QB who replaced him won the NC, running a wishbone offense. NFL doesn't care about that. 

Even today the spread offense is quick popular and puts up tons of numbers.  But few of the top spread QBs will get the opportunity to play in the NFL. 

Cael truly believes that tournament set up is a better format for determining best team vs. dual format, and since this is subjecvtive he can't be prov en wrong on that.

The minute we go to a dual format to determine the NCAA title, which I doubt ever happens but for conversation's sake .... , that is the minute guys start balling up to prevent getting tf against or worse, pinned. Nobody wants to see that. 

The longer Nato and MyMar have been in the tOSU room, the less likely they have been to win NCAA titles. So they get them ready fast, and then what? 

Tom Ryan has also destroyed the importance of duals by frequently wrestling back-ups and preventing marquee match-ups in duals. At least Cael wrestles his guys in duals, he just doesn't support a dual tournament because that's who he is. They both are flawed looking after the best interest of their own rather than the sport. But hey they don't get paid to grow the sport, just their program.

Every coach's job is to do as well as they at Nationals. It isn't Tom Ryan's fault that that is where the importance sits.

Remember tOSU had their highest attendance for a dual EVER this last season. It's not like he ignores duals. He does however prioritize NCAAs, just like everyone else. 

Every coach's job is to do as well as they at Nationals. It isn't Tom Ryan's fault that that is where the importance sits.

Remember tOSU had their highest attendance for a dual EVER this last season. It's not like he ignores duals. He does however prioritize NCAAs, just like everyone else. 

Ryan has had a history of sitting guys out, though, so that criticism seems valid to me. 

Ohio State:

1, 3rd, 2nd at NCAA's

2 Big Ten Tourney Titles

4 Time NCAA Champion

1 Olympic Gold Medalist

2 World Champions

No.