Wish I could say I was. Just stating what I observed. They were on people all weekend for dropping to a 3-point stance and called it for passivity routinely. They let Dake get away with it nearly the entire match so I don't feel bad for him at all for not getting the hands to the face call he was looking for. I honestly think part of his strategy was to stay in that stance and take hands to the face in hopes of getting points out of it. It didn't happen and he ultimately threw a massive tantrum after the match. I have no stake in this fight and I would be fine with Dake being our rep if he ultimately takes the spot in June. Just stating I think the outcome and officiating was justified based on how they made calls all weekend. 

name me who got called for a three point stance.  i watched all weekend long and i didn't see anyone get called for doing you like you say.  So if it was so prolific, please share five times when it happened, because i know you can't.

Burroughs was wrestling his normal style, and Belarus was very upset at all the hands JB was doing to the face, so he hit back.  It was called against Belarus, but not Burroughs.  

When you are the icon of a sport, you are going to get away with things.  It's like how refs in basketball would call fouls against Michael Jordan or how they do against Lebron James.  

Either way...Dake and his fans shouldn't be blaming the refs when the guys spent the entire match in a tripod, and his only offense was 2 pushouts.  

Exactly it was called against Belarus because what he did was over the line.  What Burroughs does is a set up and a gauge.  

What was so egregious?

There was no reason at all for the ref putting Dake on the shot clock at the end when he already had been put on it earlier especially when Dake had been in on more shots than JB. They gave it to JB. I see it no other way. However I would rather have JB on the team.

I like both these guys, but USAW really looks bad after this one.  This looks like a backroom decision made by the organization in order to keep their cash cow on top.  Dake on the clock twice and Burroughs zero?  Burroughs did NOTHING.   Its kinda hard to complain about how corrupt the Olympic officiating when we've had such suspect officiating over the last few days (not just the Dake/JB match), capped off by literally handing our most famous wrestler a win (and ignoring clear rules violations).  Sorry, but its real hard to defend the sport to others, feels like professional boxing...

Regardless, I can't see JB winning big on the world level again. He's flat out gonna get called for those hands to face when USAW isn't there to tell the ref to overlook it.  Hes definitely lost a step.

You guys and lost a step....got taken down 1 time whole tournament...hes not as active as once was with constant scoring but until i see him loose again..hes still got it!!!

0 Takedowns for Dake, and he spent the entire match in a three point stance.  You can't complain about the ref when you do that.

Burroughs isn't what he used to be, that's for sure.  Dake isn't any better though, unfortunately.  Either way, no matter who we send, we are no longer dominant at 74 kg.  

I can't see how people are complaining about JB's hands the to the face..He has done that his entire career.  Remember when Belarus was tossed from a world semifinals for almost starting a fight because of it?

Good post.  If you want to win, take it.  I am starting to think that Dake will never beat JB because he is mentally weaker.  I had Dake winning today comfortably--he disappointed. 

I think Hall is the heir apparent. He is a better at freestyle than folkstyle and he will probably be able to make this weight for his career.

Maybe. but things are very fluid. 

Exactly it was called against Belarus because what he did was over the line.  What Burroughs does is a set up and a gauge.  

please see the thread labeled "nothing to see here" and tell me thats a set up!

The only person I saw take risks in that match was Dake.  The only person I saw with deep shots in that match was Dake.   The only guy put on the shot clock was Dake.  The only person I saw with hand raised at end was Burroughs.  Dake was the better wrestler in that match.  Just my opinion.  

He does talk to the ref too much.  I'm betting it gets into his own head.  Probably doesn't serve him well.  Also, when he pulls the trigger, good things usually happen. He needs to pull the trigger more.  Take it out of the hands of the ref.

My point is if Retherford's hand to the face was worthy of a call, JB should've been disqualified. He literally 1-2 slap punched Dake straight in the face and didn't even get cautioned. 

BS call anyway.  Zain got totally screwed. 

Oh noooo, what's Dake going to do now that he has to wrestle the entire mini tournament AND THEN beat JB 2 out of 3?  Isn't that the reason he ran from Burroughs the last time?  Wasn't that the real reason JB beat him 4 times in a row?    

If that match proved anything, it proved that Dake certainly hasn't opened up any kind of gap on Burroughs.  Wrestling from a tripod is lame and should be called passive every time.     

actually yes, that's exactly why burroughs eat him 4 times in a row.  You're and idiot if you think dake cant beat him on full rest.  Dake just proved he can,  tough to beat a world champ and the refs.

The fact of the matter is this. Dake needs to decisively and definitively beat Burroughs. Burroughs doesn't need to beat Dake. Burroughs is going to get all the questionable calls to go his way because of who he is and what he's accomplished. Its like the old saying goes... "Leave no doubt"... "Don't leave the match in the hands of the ref" because at the end of the day, if it's up to the refs, you can darn well be sure they're going to go with Burroughs, and some ways you almost can't blame them.

As a JB fan, he should have lost that match.  Dake was better the whole match through.  at the end with the possible step out, isn't the out of bounds considered a cylinder?   Just because his hand didn't touch the out of bounds doesn't mean he wasn't out of bounds before the time ran our.  This is the first time I have felt bad for Kyle losing to Jordan, and it is just.

What did Dake do again?

actually yes, that's exactly why burroughs eat him 4 times in a row.  You're and idiot if you think dake cant beat him on full rest.  Dake just proved he can,  tough to beat a world champ and the refs.

Dake absolutely can beat Burroughs.  Many, including me, picked him to win this match.  He just hasn't beaten him.  This is now the fifth time in a row that he hasn't.  

It's the inconsistent calls that make the sport constantly frustrating. Really tough to comprehend how inconsistent the refs are at the level.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Agreed.

I could see the argument that it shouldn't have been called.  But it is very far from the worst call i've seen in wrestling..And very far from the worst call i've seen this weekend.  Dake was sitting back in the tripod way too much. He was playing with fire by doing that.  

It's not like they gave Burroughs the caution and 2 at the end..Dake still had 45 seconds to score and win the match.  

Agree on most points and there were much worse calls this weekend but this was the match of the event and other that snyder/varner the biggest match in the last 4 years. 

206j5ns.png

Nah... I don't think there were hands to the face.  Given the caution Burroughs received with 0:39 to go in the first period, it should have been two points for Dake.  Just ask Retherford.

The ref ignored the violation b/c he knew it would be two points & a 4-1 lead.  If there hadn't already been a caution in the first, I bet he would have given Burroughs a caution for this.

Edited by lu_alum

I like both these guys, but USAW really looks bad after this one.  This looks like a backroom decision made by the organization in order to keep their cash cow on top.  Dake on the clock twice and Burroughs zero?  Burroughs did NOTHING.   Its kinda hard to complain about how corrupt the Olympic officiating when we've had such suspect officiating over the last few days (not just the Dake/JB match), capped off by literally handing our most famous wrestler a win (and ignoring clear rules violations).  Sorry, but its real hard to defend the sport to others, feels like professional boxing...

Regardless, I can't see JB winning big on the world level again. He's flat out gonna get called for those hands to face when USAW isn't there to tell the ref to overlook it.  Hes definitely lost a step.

So, before the match, there was some backroom conversation to not call hands to the face on JB, because that's the only way JB could win? And, this covert operation happened because JB a can make more money for USAW than Dake? I don't know that the rivalry get's less interesting with Dake finally taking one from JB. If anything, I think a Dake win gets more attention than yet another loss. I suspect that USAW makes more money when more people care about wrestling. 

Either way, it's gonna be interesting at WTT!

The only person I saw take risks in that match was Dake.  The only person I saw with deep shots in that match was Dake.   The only guy put on the shot clock was Dake.  The only person I saw with hand raised at end was Burroughs.  Dake was the better wrestler in that match.  Just my opinion.  

He does talk to the ref too much.  I'm betting it gets into his own head.  Probably doesn't serve him well.  Also, when he pulls the trigger, good things usually happen. He needs to pull the trigger more.  Take it out of the hands of the ref.

Better wrestler than the olympic/ 3 time world champ who has now beaten him 5 times in a row?  Are you insane?  Btw Burroughs had a deep double attempt in the match.  Maybe you missed it.  

Burroughs has always been pretty dirty, in my book, but that was egregious.  Dake has every right to call USAW on their bull**** because they were calling much less than that all weekend and they not only balked on calling it on the celebrity and gave him multiple calls to boot. 

Get a grip.

He did. JB "won", but......

Dake did not clearly pull ahead. I thought Dake would be able to get the job here, but he made a few tactical errors. As much as people don't like it, Dake has the right idea complaining to the ref. How he complained was the issue. It was more of a "whiny" style of complaint. He needs more of a "Ref, you see what's he doing and I'm sure you'll make the right call next time" look and slight nod. The subtle difference is effective. This could be huge for the next match because Burroughs, like Zain, suffers from "constant hands to the face" syndrome. Putting the refs on extra notice, and even talking to them before the match and telling them to look out for it can work in his favor. Burroughs usually is able to score so much that it gets overlooked a bit. Now that he's slowing down, and is hitting explosive takedowns much less, the hands to the face stand out all the more.

A couple of tactical blunders by both wrestlers. Easily fixable. I didn't think Dake was going to let Burroughs control the ties so much. If he wrestles this way again, he might find himself on the shot clock twice in a period again. I thought he would be more aggressive. I think the key to winning for Dake is to be more offensive. He's dangerous in scrambles and he may have the edge there, but I think he's a bit hesitant because of Burroughs' physical strength.

Burroughs needs to find his angles and convert. Regardless of what happens the rest of 2017, it's become exponentially more difficult to see Burroughs on the 2020 Olympic team. I still give Dake a very good chance to win at the trials.

Better wrestler than the olympic/ 3 time world champ who has now beaten him 5 times in a row?  Are you insane?  Btw Burroughs had a deep double attempt in the match.  Maybe you missed it.  

And how did that go for him? He didn't even come close to a score and had to pull out after Dake jacked him up. Dake actually scored on his shot.