Ankle - yes, you are right, he did make 1 TD attempt then a reshot that Dake used an underhook to counter.  I did forget.  

Ok, one attempt that scored 0 points.  Dake took at least 2 attempts and scored a point each time.  

Oh noooo, what's Dake going to do now that he has to wrestle the entire mini tournament AND THEN beat JB 2 out of 3?  Isn't that the reason he ran from Burroughs the last time?  Wasn't that the real reason JB beat him 4 times in a row?    

If that match proved anything, it proved that Dake certainly hasn't opened up any kind of gap on Burroughs.  Wrestling from a tripod is lame and should be called passive every time.     

Agreed.  If Dake wants to be "the man." then act like it.  Being conservative and relying on great defense may  not be enough. 

actually yes, that's exactly why burroughs eat him 4 times in a row.  You're and idiot if you think dake cant beat him on full rest.  Dake just proved he can,  tough to beat a world champ and the refs.

Tripods and 2 on 1 isn't "winning" matches. It is hoping you find a way not to lose. If you are planning to win via slaps to the face against a multiple world champion you might want to re-think your strategy. 

Dake did not clearly pull ahead. I thought Dake would be able to get the job here, but he made a few tactical errors. As much as people don't like it, Dake has the right idea complaining to the ref. How he complained was the issue. It was more of a "whiny" style of complaint. He needs more of a "Ref, you see what's he doing and I'm sure you'll make the right call next time" look and slight nod. The subtle difference is effective. This could be huge for the next match because Burroughs, like Zain, suffers from "constant hands to the face" syndrome. Putting the refs on extra notice, and even talking to them before the match and telling them to look out for it can work in his favor. Burroughs usually is able to score so much that it gets overlooked a bit. Now that he's slowing down, and is hitting explosive takedowns much less, the hands to the face stand out all the more.

A couple of tactical blunders by both wrestlers. Easily fixable. I didn't think Dake was going to let Burroughs control the ties so much. If he wrestles this way again, he might find himself on the shot clock twice in a period again. I thought he would be more aggressive. I think the key to winning for Dake is to be more offensive. He's dangerous in scrambles and he may have the edge there, but I think he's a bit hesitant because of Burroughs' physical strength.

Burroughs needs to find his angles and convert. Regardless of what happens the rest of 2017, it's become exponentially more difficult to see Burroughs on the 2020 Olympic team. I still give Dake a very good chance to win at the trials.

How does it become "exponentially more difficult?"

Ankle - yes, you are right, he did make 1 TD attempt then a reshot that Dake used an underhook to counter.  I did forget.  

Ok, one attempt that scored 0 points.  Dake took at least 2 attempts and scored a point each time.  

He also came a few fractions of a second from scoring a third time in the end.

But all he did was tripod while JB was lighting it up....

Agreed.  If Dake wants to be "the man." then act like it.  Being conservative and relying on great defense may  not be enough. 

"conservative" Dake took two shots and scored on both, Burroughs took 1 shot and scored on 0

Maybe its because a lot of people dislike dake, but I don't see how anybody could argue that wasn't questionable officiating. Just my opinion. Still think Burroughs is great and could win worlds again.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Honestly don't give a crap about either.  Thought JB was better.  I also think JB is on the decline. 

The fact of the matter is this. Dake needs to decisively and definitively beat Burroughs. Burroughs doesn't need to beat Dake. Burroughs is going to get all the questionable calls to go his way because of who he is and what he's accomplished. Its like the old saying goes... "Leave no doubt"... "Don't leave the match in the hands of the ref" because at the end of the day, if it's up to the refs, you can darn well be sure they're going to go with Burroughs, and some ways you almost can't blame them.

This...

"conservative" Dake took two shots and scored on both, Burroughs took 1 shot and scored on 0

Dake scored he's, but they were pushouts. Imo Burroughs push out was more impressive because it was by brute force. The fact that Dakes push outs were off shots means nothing, and actually means less to me because he didn't actually finish either takedown.

Time for Dake too move up to 86 before trials, as Burroughs has an unfair advantage for getting to sit out until the finals 

I hope he does because I finally think DT has turned the corner.  I get the DT fantasy jokes, but he should beat Dake.  If not, then mental. 

Dake scored he's, but they were pushouts. Imo Burroughs push out was more impressive because it was by brute force. The fact that Dakes push outs were off shots means nothing, and actually means less to me because he didn't actually finish either takedown.

More impressive that burroughs scored from a straight arm push (which by rule is no longer a point) then Dake scoring twice from a shot, and burroughs was never able to come even CLOSE to scoring a takedown

I don't like wrestling from a tripod, but I think it is smart when you wrestle someone that moves backwards to set up their offense and has a world class leg attack from that set up.  You shouldn't have to move forward or present your face/head to that.

I agree that you don't have to move forward, and it may have been smart to wrestle that strategy. With the addition of passivity though, you will be hit for passivity if you sit back in a tripod.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

There was no reason at all for the ref putting Dake on the shot clock at the end when he already had been put on it earlier especially when Dake had been in on more shots than JB. They gave it to JB. I see it no other way. However I would rather have JB on the team.

He got put on the clock because he either had a hand or knee on the mat in his stance for an extended period of time. Dake has some right to complain about calls in this match, but this is not one of them.

All of you saying "its passivity to be in a tripod" how isn't it passivity to back up and just post your hand on your opponents head? seems passive on both fronts, just the latter actually scored offensive points

There was no reason at all for the ref putting Dake on the shot clock at the end when he already had been put on it earlier especially when Dake had been in on more shots than JB. They gave it to JB. I see it no other way. However I would rather have JB on the team.

In regard to the shot clock...half the time it is bogus.  One guy gets called, then the next time the guy who I thought was more aggressive gets called...to balance things out.  FS a joke. 

Dake wasn't better, no matter the narrative one wants to create. 

Ok...Then explain what Burroughs did to make him better?  

Without the passivity point, Dake scored two legitimate points; Burroughs scored one.

Want to tell me how that makes Burroughs better tonight?

The fact of the matter is this. Dake needs to decisively and definitively beat Burroughs. Burroughs doesn't need to beat Dake. Burroughs is going to get all the questionable calls to go his way because of who he is and what he's accomplished. Its like the old saying goes... "Leave no doubt"... "Don't leave the match in the hands of the ref" because at the end of the day, if it's up to the refs, you can darn well be sure they're going to go with Burroughs, and some ways you almost can't blame them.

I 100% buy this for clean wrestling and questionable calls, but letting the champ punch dudes in the face just because he is the champ is a bad look for USAW. 

It's sad to say but Dake will need to beat Burroughs by 4+ points to win a match.  If the match is close, the officials will find a way to give it to Burroughs.  Burroughs is still USA's Golden Boy and you can be assured USA Wrestling (and its officiating crew) is protecting Burroughs.  

I 100% buy this for clean wrestling and questionable calls, but letting the champ punch dudes in the face just because he is the champ is a bad look for USAW.

Agreed, but unfortunately what's considered a punch and 100% clean wrestling is subjective. And please mind you I was predicting Dake to win. Edited by BigTenFanboy

In regard to the shot clock...half the time it is bogus.  One guy gets called, then the next time the guy who I thought was more aggressive gets called...to balance things out.  FS a joke. 

EXCEPT when it's JB in the US. Then his opponent gets called for two shot clocks no matter how little JB actually did to earn it.