It's sad to say but Dake will need to beat Burroughs by 4+ points to win a match. If the match is close, the officials will find a way to give it to Burroughs. Burroughs is still USA's Golden Boy and you can be assured USA Wrestling (and its officiating crew) is protecting Burroughs.

Yup! "To Be the man, you gotta beat the man"

Dake needs to beat Burroughs, Burroughs doesn't need to beat Dake.

But I disagree it has to be by 4. It just needs to be by 1.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

It's sad to say but Dake will need to beat Burroughs by 4+ points to win a match.  If the match is close, the officials will find a way to give it to Burroughs.  Burroughs is still USA's Golden Boy and you can be assured USA Wrestling (and its officiating crew) is protecting Burroughs.  

How about one takedown?

Wow. That *almost* looked like the fix was in. Thankfully Flo posted the match after the fact so I could actually see it since they screwed the pooch with the live webcast yet again, to the surprise of no one.

I thought JB said he wasn't interest in MMA. Could have fooled me.

Edited by Frank_Rizzo

Wow. That *almost* looked like the fix was in. Thankfully Flo posted the match after the fact so I could actually see it since they screwed the pooch with the live webcast yet again, to the surprise of no one.

Webcast worked fine for me.

Yup! "To Be the man, you gotta beat the man"

Dake needs to beat Burroughs, Burroughs doesn't need to beat Dake.

But I disagree it has to be by 4. It just needs to be by 1.

Dake will never win by 1.  If he ever beats Burroughs, it will be because it was not even close enough for the officials to make it close.  

How does it become "exponentially more difficult?"

He appears to have lost a step. 3 years from now it will be even worse. Not too many 32 year olds making the Olympic team at the middle weights. I don't see him holding off the competition for that long, though maybe I should save "exponentially more difficult" for winning the 2020 Olympics rather than simply making the team. Or maybe not. In addition to Dake, Hall and company will be knocking on the door by that time. We'll see what happens.

I disagree. Yazdani and Geaduav are up a weight. Dake or JB would win worlds.

I dont know about JB winning worlds, and nobody would be yelling and screaming any louder than me, but Dake is not winning a world championship no matter who moves up. If Iran, Russia, and Azerbsijan have an entry, then Dake is no better than 4th best and maybe even behind others.

I dont know about JB winning worlds, and nobody would be yelling and screaming any louder than me, but Dake is not winning a world championship no matter who moves up. If Iran, Russia, and Azerbsijan have an entry, then Dake is no better than 4th best and maybe even behind others.

you understand that Dake has a win over a world champion right? with a broken hand... he is absolutely capable of winning a world championship

I feel like this is unfortunately true.  Taylor has taken a huge step apparently, while Dake seems to be no better off than he was the last time he wrestled JB.  The international refs will also be very unfriendly with his passive style.  The passive American wrestlers always seem to do worse internationally than domestically (Rey, Marable, Hrovat, etc).  

I like both these guys, but USAW really looks bad after this one.  This looks like a backroom decision made by the organization in order to keep their cash cow on top.  Dake on the clock twice and Burroughs zero?  Burroughs did NOTHING.   Its kinda hard to complain about how corrupt the Olympic officiating when we've had such suspect officiating over the last few days (not just the Dake/JB match), capped off by literally handing our most famous wrestler a win (and ignoring clear rules violations).  Sorry, but its real hard to defend the sport to others, feels like professional boxing...

Regardless, I can't see JB winning big on the world level again. He's flat out gonna get called for those hands to face when USAW isn't there to tell the ref to overlook it.  Hes definitely lost a step.

True, true and TRUE!

I disagree ...both would be the favorite. Taylor destroyed the 163 Olympic champ already. Dake or JB would win in my opinion but you may be right the big three Iran, Russia or Aze probably do have a new stud in the pipe.

Agree. Watch the match everybody. The fix does appear to be in!

Edited by PRyan2012

I feel like this is unfortunately true.  Taylor has taken a huge step apparently, while Dake seems to be no better off than he was the last time he wrestled JB.  The international refs will also be very unfriendly with his passive style.  The passive American wrestlers always seem to do worse internationally than domestically (Rey, Marable, Hrovat, etc).  

The problem with that is Dake is not a passive wrestler.  He wrestled that style to combat Burroughs speed from separation and very likely to make it very obvious how much Burroughs batters the face and head.  If guys actually engage, Dake wrestles a much more open style.

Edited by MSU158

I called it a few months ago. As long as it is under the auspices of US wrestling Dake would never get an honest shake against Burroughs. It's a travesty but easy to anticipate.

Are you serious?  I watched the match expecting Dake to win but didn't really care who won. Close, but I didn't see anything egregious other than passivity which I am not sure has to be called or not.  This said, if you smell blood, then kill.  This is not Dake's style...then you get what you get.   

Dake blocked off nearly the entire match.  That's ok to do during the last 30 secs in folk, but you can't take a defensive stance the entire match and not expect to be banged for passivity.  Watch the match, Burroughs is nearly constantly pressuring trying to get Dake to open up and wrestle.