They added the rule to encourage guys to go for throws im guessing, but to basically award someone for poor technique in their throw is a joke. Oliver was no where near exposure or even remotely a takedown.

He was very near exposure. The call itself was correct, it's the rule that people don't like. IMO, it should be 1. Would JO still have won if the score was 3-3?

True. If anything I hope he learns and adjusts before trials. I just want the best wrestler to win. Zain scored on 3 technical moves. Oliver 0. Just a bad taste in my mouth after watching that.

I'm waiting for Flowrestling to upload the match. I need to see it again. Both have adjustments to make. I think Zain had two step outs and one passivity point. Oliver had 2 for Zain's hands to the face, and 2 for the throw. I'd like to see a rematch in the near future, but the way things are at this level, we don't know if the rematch will be in a month, or about a year from now.

Zain has always been a little obnoxious with his hands to the face (Pico called him out for this years ago and said he'd be happy to beat him in a boxing match too of he wanted to be so chippy). I do disagree with the last 2 points, but if that's what they want to push then it is what it is I suppose.

Lol that'd have been an ever worse beating than he took on the wrestling mat...

It was the correct call unfortunately but hey that's what happens when we have a dumb@$$ organizational body.

Just a down period for us, we will be back and better than ever in 2 years.

And. The. Dynasty. Is. Coming. Back.

It's been down for a long time now. Honestly ever since Gable retired.

And with the way PSU has been getting recruits and preparing these kids it'll be a long long time before it's comes back. Cael is the new Gable of the modern era and see PSU having decades of dominance under his lead. I honestly dont see Iowa coming back to its glory days under this regime.

Someone young and fresh and beloved by the Wrestling community that can generate a huge amount of excitement and buzz needs to take over in order to attract top level recruits away from PSU. I don't feel the Brands bros are capable of doing that. Maybe someone the likes of a Jordan Burroughs or a David Taylor. That person would have to have major success almost right off that bat as well, not a gradual rise, creating an immediate impact setting the tone for long term succes.

I was a huge fan of the Brands bros during their competition days in the 90s and was actually very excited when Tom returned to Iowa as a head coach, but honestly feel that after his dual recruiting class moved on he's proven to be a bit of a flash in the pan, especially considering he was brought back specifically to bring NCAA titles and the dynasty back to Iowa. Imo hes doing not much better than Zalesky.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

Correct throw rule is dumber than the clinch. Sorry:-) Oliver got all 4 of his points given to him by absurd calls. Not being biased........ I hope they rematch at trials and my money is on Zain. 

Just when it seemed like Freestyle was turning the corner, and possibly could make some sense. 

We were leaving yesterday after my son competed and Jordan Burroughs was in front of us. I know he's not huge but he has the tiniest lower legs I have ever seen on somebody that supposed to weigh 165ish.

Calves are a waste of weight!  :)

Although I consider his upper body body to be pretty large, he is decidedly smaller than he was a couple of years ago.

Just re-watched the Oliver/Retherford match.

Some observations:

1) Retherford did not do enough to win the match. He scored via push out, shot clock  without a committed attack in the entire first round, push out.  The last push out was sweet.

2)The hands to the face call was correct.

3)The missed throw was a good call and an exciting move.

4) Oliver didn't do enough to win either, so he won a roll of the dice.

Just re-watched the Oliver/Retherford match.

Some observations:

1) Retherford did not do enough to win the match. He scored via push out, shot clock  without a committed attack in the entire first round, push out.  The last push out was sweet.

2)The hands to the face call was correct.

3)The missed throw was a good call and an exciting move.

4) Oliver didn't do enough to win either, so he won a roll of the dice.

This is a perfect example of why I don't like freestyle compared to folkstyle.

It's been down for a long time now. Honestly ever since Gable retired.

And with the way PSU has been getting recruits and preparing these kids it'll be a long long time before it's comes back. Cael is the new Gable of the modern era and see PSU having decades of dominance under his lead. I honestly dont see Iowa coming back to its glory days under this regime.

Someone young and fresh and beloved by the Wrestling community that can generate a huge amount of excitement and buzz needs to take over in order to attract top level recruits away from PSU. I don't feel the Brands bros are capable of doing that. Maybe someone the likes of a Jordan Burroughs or a David Taylor. That person would have to have major success almost right off that bat as well, not a gradual rise, creating an immediate impact setting the tone for long term succes.

I was a huge fan of the Brands bros during their competition days in the 90s and was actually very excited when Tom returned to Iowa as a head coach, but honestly feel that after his dual recruiting class moved on he's proven to be a bit of a flash in the pan, especially considering he was brought back specifically to bring NCAA titles and the dynasty back to Iowa. Imo hes doing not much better than Zalesky.

Has Iowa ever gone out-of-state for a head coach?  Maybe its just me, but I have the impression that they'd want a former Hawkeye or someone with close ties to the state. 

Come on. I think the throw rule is stupid but lets not pretend folk always gets a perfect result. Ever see a bad call cost a wrestler a match in folkstyle? Only happens...constantly.

I agree. I don't think folkstyle is perfect, however I think the rules are more consistent, clear, and objective. You get rewarded for outcomes of your moves, not the effort.

Freestyle rules in general have always allowed for opportunities for the wrong wrestler to "win", much more so than folk.

In folkstyle, when this happens it's generally the fault of the ref, not the fault of the rule.

In freestyle it's often times the fault of the rule, not the person enforcing the rule.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

What really annoys me about the penalty 2 against Retherford is that Oliver must of clubbed Zain in the head 5 times after falling behind 3-0 and didn't even get a warning. Then the ref goes out of his way to call what appeared to be a pretty benign shove to the forehead a major infraction. Piss poor officiating. 

I just caught up with the Zain/JO match. It's amazing that JO didn't actually score any points during the match. The caution and two that JO got was sketch and the correct throw was dubious. Zain did all the work and JO got his hand raised. Well, the US Open is not the main event. The WTTs are. 

Meh. Retherford wouldn't have won a folkstyle match either. The coin flip would have been the UTB after an uneventful 3-3, 111/2 minute match.

Can't use this argument because they didnt actually wrestle in that style. Both guys would have approached the match differently.

That's like saying Wrestler A should win a match because he was leading after the 2nd period and we're not going to count the 3rd period where Wrestler B took the lead and in freestyle we only have 2 periods.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

Can't use this argument because they didnt actually wrestle in that style. Both guys would have approached the match differently.

That's like saying Wrestler A should win a match because he was leading after the 2nd period and we're not going to count the 3rd period where Wrestler B took the lead and in freestyle we only have 2 periods.

The point of my comment was when you don't do enough to win a match, the outcome is highly random. It is the same in folk.

There is no basis for Retherford to complain about the outcome.  On the other hand, Oliver knows he won a coin flip.  C'est la vie.