Sign in to follow this  
sansbarksdale

Freestyle and it's rules absolutely suck

Haha glad to see more people agreeing with me!

I saw none of this complaining after the NCAA finals (other than the BOJO match) and here we have Ramos winning on some bs, Oliver winning bc of a dumb rule, and some absolute snooze fests. Give me more folkstyle and less of that crap.

I saw none of this complaining after the NCAA finals (other than the BOJO match) and here we have Ramos winning on some bs, Oliver winning bc of a dumb rule, and some absolute snooze fests. Give me more folkstyle and less of that crap.

Yes! Freestyle rules which change every other month make no sense and honestly make the sport look like a joke compared to other sports.

Let's not overstate your 12 day existence here as some shining beacon of thought-provoking non-freestyleness. This is an argument on this board that's stood the test of time (and three iterations of the website since 2001). 

Every spring the freestyle nuts come out of their caves because you don't see them the rest of the year, that is including the officials who look like they never wrestled a day in their life.

And every year, freestyle proves while it can be exciting at times but can also perhaps be the dumbest sport on the planet.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Every spring the freestyle nuts come out of their caves because you don't see them the rest of the year, that is including the officials who look like they never wrestled a day in their life.

And every year, freestyle proves while it can be exciting at times but can also perhaps be the dumbest sport on the planet.

Unfortunately this post is 100% true.

Personally I can't justify encouraging non-wrestling people to watch a freestyle match. Even know you know the rules, all too often the sport makes no sense.

I've encouraged non-wrestling people to watch folkstyle, and they've typically responded positively to the expereince.

Let's not overstate your 12 day existence here as some shining beacon of thought-provoking non-freestyleness. This is an argument on this board that's stood the test of time (and three iterations of the website since 2001).

Jason...come on. I am a shining beacon of intelligent thought.

Serious question here - to this point in time, this tournament (US Open) Senior Men's Freestyle - how many falls have the been?  I haven't really been watching, but to the extent that I have - I haven't seen any occurred yet.

To me, that's the big difference between the two - Folkstyle still has the fall as the ultimate objective, and there are many who work to achieve that.  Freestyle, not so much.  It really is mainly a takedown tournament (and no,I don't consider a leglace a pinning combination!).  don't get me wrong, freestyle isn't too bad - it beats watching golf!  But it will always seem like Lite-Wrestling to me.

Edited by redblades

....and every year about this time..we have folkstyle fans who think they should score Freestyle matches using folkstyle rules....

Every year the folkstyle fans watch the us open and trials, hoping their favorite NCAA athletes will be able to make a world team off of riding time. Unfortunately, vets like Perry and Oliver crush those dreams.

Maybe the issue is with Cael needing to focus more on freestyle and not the rules.

Every year the folkstyle fans watch the us open and trials, hoping their favorite NCAA athletes will be able to make a world team off of riding time. Unfortunately, vets like Perry and Oliver crush those dreams.

Maybe the issue is with Cael needing to focus more on freestyle and not the rules.

Honestly don't think is the reason for annoyance. For me atleast, the rules for freestyle can be very hokey.

Not sure why Ramos winning was at all controversial based on the rules themselves.  Although, I don't like anyone winning when the score is tied, Ramos scored his two correctly.  1 for the shot clock expiring and another for the step out.

Also, the best example I have for my dislike of Freestyle is the Oliver/Retherford match.  They scored 8 points  between them, wrestling 100 % in the Neutral Position, without either ever getting a takedown.  That shouldn't be possible, period!