BigTenFanboy

What does Dake do now?

Does Dake stay at 74k? Or does he go after Taylor at 86k?

I'm a big Taylor fan but Dake does seem to have his number...

You seriously think Dake has enough time to put on size?  DT has been continuously trying to get bigger whereas Dake went back a weight.  DT has turned a corner...and you know what, it may not mean anything if he wrestles tentative.  If Dake wasn't in his head I would say a slam dunk for DT, but I still say advantage for DT.  I have seen them live and DT could win but doesn't necessarily believe it.  Perhaps now with his summer?

You seriously think Dake has enough time to put on size?  DT has been continuously trying to get bigger whereas Dake went back a weight.  DT has turned a corner...and you know what, it may not mean anything if he wrestles tentative.  If Dake wasn't in his head I would say a slam dunk for DT, but I still say advantage for DT.  I have seen them live and DT could win but doesn't necessarily believe it.  Perhaps now with his summer?

Hey man I agree with you. I'm a big Taylor fan and wanted him to pull off a Cael Sanderson career in college. I've always rooted for him over literally everyone hes faced. But until he beats Dake straight up, in this matchup Dake is "The Man"

Just like until Dake beats Burroughs, Burroughs is "The Man"

Well Dake wrestled a pretty smart match. He neutralize JB's speed and shots. I think that KD is right there and just needs to improve his finishes and the number of attacks. I think one of Dake's obstacles is that psychological barrier, that he is wrestling a guy he hasn't been able to beat. He has to find a way to break through, and If he can improve these things, I think he will find his way on top of the podium.

I have a difficult time watching Dake confront the ref after the match. Nothing good can come out of talking to the ref especially when he's basically trying to tell the ref he's wrong.

Does he expect the ref to suddenly go "Gosh darn it Kyle, you're right! I totally blew those calls there and screwed you over! Let me go back to the scorers table and change the calls I made to your satisfaction!"

Edited by BigTenFanboy

In addition to a bye to the finals, JB will also have a little bit of a home crowd advantage during WTTs. I hope Andrew Howe qualifies for trials and competes for the spot, too.  Imo, he's as tough of a matchup for Dake as JB, Ringer or DT.

I don't think Dake will bump up to 86kg - though he has a mental edge over DT, Taylor has improved in leaps & bounds, plus who knows if J'Den will be back in the mix.

Someone mentioned last year that Dake may be feeling some pressure from his sponsors to make the US World (or Olympic last year) team. Fortunately, if things don't work out in June we could see him, JB and Taylor all on our WT next year with the added weight classes.  We'll see.

In addition to a bye to the finals, JB will also have a little bit of a home crowd advantage during WTTs. I hope Andrew Howe qualifies for trials and competes for the spot, too.  Imo, he's as tough of a matchup for Dake as JB, Ringer or DT.

I don't think Dake will bump up to 86kg - though he has a mental edge over DT, Taylor has improved in leaps & bounds, plus who knows if J'Den will be back in the mix.

Someone mentioned last year that Dake may be feeling some pressure from his sponsors to make the US World (or Olympic last year) team. Fortunately, if things don't work out in June we could see him, JB and Taylor all on our WT next year with the added weight classes.  We'll see.

Dake does seem to have quite a mental edge over Taylor.  Wouldn't the biggest obstacle for Dake at this late stage be to overcome the seeming 26 lb advantage Taylor now has?  Taylor moved up and gradually grew himself into the weight.  Dake doesn't seem to have that time to spend.  And while Dake probably cuts a bit, 15-20 lbs (my guess) seems a bit much.  I think Taylor's biggest obstacle may be Cox.

Edited by PANewbie

Go to 213! No 163 is his best shot at Gold. He could beat JB at WTT. He should have beat him tonight. The only thing is maybe 176 next year with the new weight classes. 

I don't follow freestyle closely.  What are these new weight classes of which you speak?

I think Dake needed to do a bit more offensively. Choosing to remain in a crouch and take two effective shots was a good strategy but too passive.

Three. He very nearly scored again and would've with .3 seconds more in the match.

Meanwhile, how many effective shots did JB take? I believe it was the big old goose egg. He took one half shot that went nowhere and another real shot that got stuffed easily.

All the criticism of Dake not being active enough might be warranted IF Burroughs had done any more, but he didn't. He did less.

The new rules are stupid if they aren't called consistently.  Dake had a legitimate gripe,  Burroughs had his hands in his face the whole match, I saw the 2 called all day for much less.    Burroughs was flagrant.  I like Burroughs and I'm not a fan of Dake, but that match was a gift to JB.  

Three. He very nearly scored again and would've with .3 seconds more in the match.

Meanwhile, how many effective shots did JB take? I believe it was the big old goose egg. He took one half shot that went nowhere and another real shot that got stuffed easily.

All the criticism of Dake not being active enough might be warranted IF Burroughs had done any more, but he didn't. He did less.

American fans might not think much of JB anymore but the Iranians still revere him so there is that.  

American fans might not think much of JB anymore but the Iranians still revere him so there is that.

That's because American fans are all about the bandwagon. If Burroughs wins a world title they will all come running back. Edited by BigTenFanboy

Trailing 2-1 in the final period against Dake, Burroughs scored the go-ahead point off the shot clock and held on for a 2-2 criteria victory to win his sixth U.S. Open title. - Stupid no one actually won they just awarded the match because they were tired of watching this ignorant form of wrestling.

I think all Dake needs to do is work on his mental game and his cardio and he will win at the trials. He absolutely out-wrestled Burroughs. When Dake really turned it on, he scored. When Burroughs turned it on, he didn't.

If Dake had been more focused on winning at the end and less focused on crying to the ref, he would have got that push out and this discussion would be moot. He was a fraction of a second away from winning even with Burroughs wrestling as dirty as can be. And if his cardio was a little better, he could have turned it on even more. Burroughs didn't win that on wrestling skill but by getting into Dake's head. I have no doubt that if Dake hadn't been whining to the ref the whole match, the ref would have been more likely to call the face pushing, head clubbing, and finger twisting that Burroughs relied on to pull this one out. I've been a Burroughs fan up until now, but I lost a lot of respect for him in that match. 

Edited by Alyosha

Let's face it... It's tough for people to get over the fact that JB quit in the wrestlbacks at Rio.

Not hard to root for a guy who will try to win Bronze

This is a fair criticism. I was a bit annoyed by that as well.