Sign in to follow this  
TBar1977

Jared Verkleeren to PSU (per his twitter and psu board)

Former Cadet Freestyle World Champ Jarod Verkleeren commits to PSU. 

JarodVerkleeren‏@verkleeren_j 7m7 minutes ago
After a very long process I decided to continue my Academic and wrestling career at Penn State University. #WeAre 

Penn State's Young Guns Pipeline Continues. 

Edited by TBar1977

Former Cadet Freestyle World Champ Jarod Verkleeren commits to PSU. 

JarodVerkleeren‏@verkleeren_j 7m7 minutes ago

After a very long process I decided to continue my Academic and wrestling career at Penn State University. #WeAre 

Penn State's Young Guns Pipeline Continues. 

Its a shame the young man would rather be a cheerleader than compete.

I have read 10 or more posts from Hawkeye fanatics regarding Verkleeren to PSU. All 10 basically claim Verkleeren is either scared, over rated, a bench guy, or maxed out.

Lulz. Hatahs gonna hate.

What is lulz? and hatahs?

Edited by MinnesotaWrestling

He's very slow footed and max'd out talent wise. I hope he's going for an education and no expectation of ever stepping on the mat...

Have fun being 4th in the B10....9th in the nation.

YOU.ARE.NOT.COMING.BACK...  ;-)

I don't fault Verkleeren for wanting to score points and have fun.  That's what Penn State is all about. 

http://www.flowrestling.org/video/1189859-david-taylor-is-finally-adjusted-to-the-weight-class#.WQc4kje1sdU

Yes, Verkleeren is only a 1x PIAA AAA champion and a Cadet (not Junior) world champion, but Cael is known for making lemonade of out lemons when it comes to finding talent in unexpected places.  Just look at what he's done with Nick Suriano.  Who had even heard of that kid before this past season? 

Edited by Frank_Rizzo

I don't fault Verkleeren for wanting to score points and have fun. That's what Penn State is all about.

http://www.flowrestling.org/video/1189859-david-taylor-is-finally-adjusted-to-the-weight-class#.WQc4kje1sdU

Yes, Verkleeren is only a 1x PIAA AAA champion and a Cadet (not Junior) world champion, but Cael is known for making lemonade of out lemons when it comes to finding talent in unexpected places. Just look at what he's done with Nick Suriano. Who had even heard of that kid before this past season?

Insert obligatory Jordan Conoway reference here.

I don't fault Verkleeren for wanting to score points and have fun.  That's what Penn State is all about. 

Yes, Verkleeren is only a 1x PIAA AAA champion and a Cadet (not Junior) world champion, but Cael is known for making lemonade of out lemons when it comes to finding talent in unexpected places.  Just look at what he's done with Nick Suriano.  Who had even heard of that kid before this past season? 

Dude like totally know what you mean man!

Like I mean DUH..

I mean anyone could coach a blue chipper athlete like James English to beat the returning national champ!

Like totally no big deal at all!

It is an interesting decision. 

I have consistently said Verkleeren isn't the best recruit. I see him as second tier, maybe in the 30-40 range for his year. I get why he is technically seen as a top 10-15ish type guy, but in terms of his growth potential, I think 30-40 is more accurate. 

With that said, his strengths like up well with Cael's philosophy. He is an excellent scrambler and he is confident in those positions. I imagine rolling with Nolf all day will dramatically improve that area of his game. 

He also has clean singles, but could use some work on chaining his move set together. That is exactly what that part of the lineup does so well at PSU.

I don't know if he will make the starting lineup, but that isn't a knock on him. Lee and mostly Berge are incredible. I think Berge has the potential to be a multiple time champ.

Very excited to see how good he becomes

It is an interesting decision. 

I have consistently said Verkleeren isn't the best recruit. I see him as second tier, maybe in the 30-40 range for his year. I get why he is technically seen as a top 10-15ish type guy, but in terms of his growth potential, I think 30-40 is more accurate. 

With that said, his strengths like up well with Cael's philosophy. He is an excellent scrambler and he is confident in those positions. I imagine rolling with Nolf all day will dramatically improve that area of his game. 

He also has clean singles, but could use some work on chaining his move set together. That is exactly what that part of the lineup does so well at PSU.

I don't know if he will make the starting lineup, but that isn't a knock on him. Lee and mostly Berge are incredible. I think Berge has the potential to be a multiple time champ.

Very excited to see how good he becomes

Sums up how I feel as well. Nice get but...

I guess some of that depends on where the weights sort out. Looking at this spreadsheet, seems like he may be able to take whichever of 14/157 that Berge doesn't as a RS Sophomore. That's a long time from now, so who knows what will happen.

Well, that seems hard based on that spreadsheet with Suriano, Teasdale, RBY, Nick Lee and Joe Lee all there.  Not that Verkleeren would be that light, but those guys down there are going to force each other up  Good luck to him, though.

It will be interesting to see where all these kids land. Who will remain at PSU and be a starter, who will stay and be a backup, who will transfer after a year..etc. The way they're loading up would it be crazy to see someone sit the bench for 2-3 years then come out and win a national title? I'm sure we will have many interesting story-lines emerge from this if nothing else. (EX. Bubba Jenkins)