I think Kyle will roll right through Gadsen. I would be shocked if Kyle's attacks and attack rate dosen't wear Gadsen down almost immediately. That being said Gadsen did look good enroute to his title at the Open.

No

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

You know.. kinda like Helen Maroulis had no chance in beating Saori Yoshida.

You know.. kinda like Rulon Gardner had no chance in beating Alexander Karelin.

You know.. kinda like Larry Owing had no chance in beating Dan Gable.

Tremendously difficult and unlikely? Yes

Impossible? No

You know.. kinda like Helen Maroulis had no chance in beating Saori Yoshida.

You know.. kinda like Rulon Gardner had no chance in beating Alexander Karelin.

You know.. kinda like Larry Owing had no chance in beating Dan Gable.

Tremendously difficult and unlikely? Yes

Impossible? No

Opinion, we both have one.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

The fact that he was the best wrestler at the Open doesn't really mean much.  The field at 97kg are miles behind the top 2--and it's not as if Gadson came out and 10-0'd everyone (4-3 decision in round 1 and 3-0 decision in round 2).  Not to mention, Gadson would have to come through the challenge tournament and then beat a rested Snyder 2 out of 3.  That further decreases the chances of Snyder getting "caught."  

Is there a chance? Sure--but it's small enough that for the sake of discussion, we might as well say no, he doesn't have a chance.  

Edited by steamboat_charlie

If Gadsen makes the WTT finals and finds a way to get an ice cream cone on his singlet somewhere, that would be fantastic. 

HAHA. He really does need some motivation. I think if he wrestles Kyle close he will stick around ....if he doesn't then I think he hangs it up. At trials last year he did wrestle Varner pretty decent sort of .....although Varner did win a controlled 4-0 match.  

I think Gadsen can keep the score close in match one, but the match won't be as close as the score. 4 - 0, 5-2 or something like that. Second match Gadsen is both physically and mentally wore out (Snyder does that to people) and may get tech'd. 

I think Gadsen can keep the score close in match one, but the match won't be as close as the score. 4 - 0, 5-2 or something like that. Second match Gadsen is both physically and mentally wore out (Snyder does that to people) and may get tech'd. 

My thoughts exactly.  If there is one difference that I'm beginning to see in our absolute "best" wrestlers, it's the level of intensity/tenacity.  It's really beginning to separate, in my eyes, the past few years.  Examples:

* Snyder:  What makes him so good (besides his TD abilities and defense) is his motor.  It... just... won't... stop... Even with bruised ribs at NCAA's, against guys 20-50lbs heavier, his motor never stopped.  Attack attack attack attack... this then lends itself to...

* Taylor:  In his post Open interview, he kept stating how he "wants" to be relentless.  I truly think the top guys are seeing this behavior exhibited by Snyder, and are now emulating even moreso... which leads me to #1 emulator...

* Kollin Moore:  His motor is incredible.  He was NOT a blue chip recruit, and his RS year, he took some lumps.  This past year, came out guns blazing, looking like a "mini Snyder", and kept the pace to a 3rd place finish, all the while pushing Cox (that 3rd period was incredible) and beating Pfarr at Big 10's.  It's the motor that appears to be different, which leads me to...

* Stieber:  He's never out of the match, and his motor doesn't stop.  Even when he looks like he's about ready to pass out... wham... last second TD to win at the WC, multiple times... which leads me to...

* Zain/Nolf:  Both have motors that seemingly go on forever, scoring whenever possible... which leads me to NaTo...

* NaTo:  Still not the "top" guy by any means, but is developing the same kind of motor that is apparently being taught at BOTH tOSU and PSU

(Notice:  My list above only lists tOSU and PSU guys... why?  because of that same "vein" of approach/attack). 

Last second add:  Burroughs:  When he was winning everything... what was his MO?  relentlessness...

Do "others" have "motors" per se?  Sure, but not on the level of these guys are exhibiting I would suggest.  Heil?  nah... Hall?  not yet.  Zahid?  not yet. 

The idea that motor is what separates our best guys is nonsense. Sorry, no offense, but it is. At most three 2017 NCAA champs can be described as having endless motors, and even that is arguable.

Motor may not be the best word... but there's this relentless intensity that is exhibited... even when Snyder is taken down, he's right back up and pushing the pace, constantly creating action, constantly looking to score.  I do not believe that a second does not go by, in which Snyder isn't looking to score.  DT then obliterates the field at the US Open, and then credits his "approach" to a "relentless" style. 

Empirically, it may be nonsense, but is anyone else taking a step back and even attempting to examine "what" may be going on with our top flight guys?  Once upon a time, the "style" that won was the "positioning" style... then an era came where "throwing" was not only popular, but awarded... then an era came where "getting the most pins" was popular and dominant... now... i'm seeing the cream rise to the top with those that have one thing in common... Relentlessness/Motor/Tenacity... call it what you will, but if you're going to throw a dart... at least offer an alternative suggestion.  At least I'm giving it a valiant attempt as a non-inner circle fan...

There certainly are some guys out there who choose the "relentless" approach.   But there are also those who choose the conservative approach with great results.    Our rep at heavyweight doesn't do much at all.    No way we can call him relentless.  

Kyle Dake who was in the OTT finals last year up a weight and is right there with Burroughs now, wrestles out of the tripod position.   

The US Open champ at 65 kg is regularly criticized for doing the bare minimum out there.    

Cox is ultra conservative himself.   

Ramos is not exactly a scoring machine.   

It's a different style, but I don't believe we can say it's what the top guys are going to.