Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

Serious Question: Why is the U.S. Open not Open and Why have a Separate WTT?

Usually the term "open" when it comes to tournaments means that the tournament is open to all comers-- like the British Open in golf or the U.S. Open in tennis. So why is the U.S. Open closed to all non-Americans? Maybe they should call it the U.S. Championship.

Given that it's closed, why not make the U.S. Open the world team trials. I know that the WTT is more closed than the "Open" and that you have to qualify. But they could do something like have all the top guys get byes into later rounds.  

As someone said, the U.S. Open does not seem to attract a lot of fans. It's mostly to see who gets a bye into the finals of the WTT.  Can someone explain all this?

U.S. open, Russian open, Iranian open,  and maybe Japanse open?. Have four open majors championship tournaments like golf/tennis. Award points for athletes who place say 1-20. The top 32 athletes in each weight based on points qualify for the worlds. This would allow true world championships of the best guys, not just one per country. It would also take some power away from the IOC and possibly allow the sport to grow. Each open could have large cash prizes. 

Not sure the British Open is the best example, there are a lot of qualification tournaments for that, so it's not "open to all comers."  I believe you mean it's open to all nationalities. 

I'm not sure of the longer history of having a national tournament and a WTT, but that's the flow USAW desires in regards to identifying the best possible world team and qualifying for the WTT. Adding non-US athletes would confuse the **** out of finding the best US wrestler, since it may not be accurate to simply select the highest placing US athlete as being your WT member, or sitting out to the finals of the WTT.

Regarding your suggestion, how do you define "the top guys" to give byes to? 

This year's Open had a decent amount of fans, not many more or less than previous years. Without a team component and the draw of an NCAA team tournament, it's hard to put people in seats outside the OTT for an open tournament. Did you go? 

Not sure the British Open is the best example, there are a lot of qualification tournaments for that, so it's not "open to all comers."  I believe you mean it's open to all nationalities. 

Well if you look at the most popular individual, tournament sports they are golf and tennis. I think it would make sense for a lot of reasons to use the models those sports have. 

Of course, no one can walk up to the British or US Open and enter. You have to qualify. But it's an "open" because anyone who qualifies may compete. 

It would be cool to have a true U.S. Open. The tournament they held the other day would be better termed the U.S. Championship. Maybe this is all semantics, but it's still odd that they have one tournament to determine the best U.S. wrestler and another 6 weeks later to determine the U.S. world team member (with some competitors getting a bye not just out of the first round but into the finals).

And, no, Tony, I did not attend. But that's not a sleight on the tournament. It never attend sporting events that are 2000 miles from home as much as I'd like to.

Edited by NJDan

Of course, no one can walk up to the British or US Open and enter. You have to qualify. But it's an "open" because anyone who qualifies may compete. 

It would be cool to have a true U.S. Open. The tournament they held the other day would be better termed the U.S. Championship. Maybe this is all semantics, but it's still odd that they have one tournament to determine the best U.S. wrestler and another 6 weeks later to determine the U.S. world team member (with some competitors getting a bye not just out of the first round but into the finals).

And, no, Tony, I did not attend. But that's not a sleight on the tournament. It never attend sporting events that are 2000 miles from home as much as I'd like to.

Firstly, anyone who qualifies for the US Open can compete.  :)

Dave Schultz and Bill Farrell are truly open tournaments AFAIK. They are reasonably successful in attracting foreign wrestlers.  What are you looking for beyond that?

One reason for a WTT may be because they want to limit the bracket size for the bye to the finals concept.  Perhaps other reasons.  Also, it used to be that brackets were required to finish in one day but that has now been extended to two days.  The US Open is a great qualifier for the WTT and is used as a tool to force the best  wrestlers to compete in it.