PRyan2012

I understand the naked Mongolians

After this US Open I am back hating Freestyle again. I was so excited in 2013 and actually started liking Free over Folk but then this US Open happened and I am just shaking my head at how incompetent our leadership can be. Why would you officiate a event like you just did? Why would you yellow card greats like Varner, Jamil Kelly and Slay and many other coaches for questioning refs who obviously made horrid calls that costs their wrestlers the match. This was the worst event I have ever seen. Now I can truly understand why the Mongolians took their clothes off. Please fix this for the better of our sport. We had the best rules we ever have had the last couple of years. Why on earth change that?

That's the part that really hurts...

Yes. was all pumped then this! It makes you really appreciate good leadership. This stuff is worse than the ball grab and offer a leg era which was so stupid that I didn't think it could be worse but let's see one WC before I have a certified opinion. The wrestlers can not speak out. They have one dream and they do not want to be politically blackballed. Same with coaches pretty much as they have careers to keep intact. 

Edited by PRyan2012

Need to go back to early 80s rules. Feet to back max was 3 on a leg attack, bonus point for amplitude. Otherwise TDs were 1. This tech fall stuff after three TDs with a little exposure, and the sumo stuff is ridiculous. Butt cheek leg laces weren't worth anything without a true exposure.

Par Terre was part of the game, and something that gave the athlete something interesting to work on.

I do miss par terre.  We don't see enough of it anymore, they call them back to their feet too quickly to get anything going.   80's rules made matches a lot more fun to watch.  See LewBoo matches for an example.

mspart

The correct throw rule is the dumbest thing I ever have heard of in my life. That is like giving a guy 1 point in basketball for getting a shot off and missing.

They are now hiring psychics to review the officials' premonitions on appeal - this should help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last year's rules had an aspect of simplicity that made it easy for non-fans to become fans. 

For example, your neighbor walks into the living room and has no idea what's going on.  You explain 2 for takedown, 2 for turn, 4 for feet to back, and 1 for pushout. That's it.  Five minutes later he's into every match. 

Passivity for not holding the center and the shot-clock made logical sense. 

Simple and transparent rules.  It's a lot of fun when your next door neighbor can come over and keep score.

On a side note, non-scientific observation.  I had family come watch the olympics.  Getting a tech fall was every bit as exciting to them as seeing a pin.  The 10 point tech and multi-turns/laces was exciting.  Watching the ref signal 2 2 2 2 2 then end the match can be thrilling like a knockout or TKO in boxing.

Edited by mostTD

The caution and 2 is my least favorite change. That is a match ender too often at the highest levels, and it gives the refs almost unlimited power when two elite wrestlers face each other. Given how crooked UWW has proven to be, this new rule is a true ball buster and sets the stage for Mongolians, if not others, going all the way in their strip protest next time.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

I know why the caged mongolian strips. 

I didn't think the officiating was bad at the US Open. some refs did a better job than others but it was more the rules than anything else. and even the rules weren't a disaster, just less than ideal. 

I'd do lots of things differently if it were up to me but that's pretty much always the case, for UWW and for the NCAA. in the meantime I mostly just enjoy the wrestling. 

I know, I know, what fun would message boards be if everyone just came on here to say, "yeah, not perfect but still really cool"? but whatever, just sharing my 2 cents like everyone else I guess. 

Yes. was all pumped then this! It makes you really appreciate good leadership. This stuff is worse than the ball grab and offer a leg era which was so stupid that I didn't think it could be worse but let's see one WC before I have a certified opinion. The wrestlers can not speak out. They have one dream and they do not want to be politically blackballed. Same with coaches pretty much as they have careers to keep intact. 

What was the rationale for the recent changes? I mean, are they really just crooked enough to add more subjectivity? What problems were they trying to fix?

Correct throw is an old rule, right?

Caution then 2 is a huge penalty, they must have thought they were fixing some kind of broken strategy there. I thought Zain's match was the worst. I guess Perry's was bad too, but Taylor was owning him regardless. 

I didn't pay attention to the forums when the new rules were being discussed, so forgive me if my questions are ignorant.  

I have not heard an explanation for such changes. I really hope none with USA wrestling was responsible. That would be pretty bad if true. Either way the new rules were used by the refs at the open to determine match outcomes-really sucks for two guys that could have byes into the finals because of it.

All we have to do to protest is wear Naked Mongolians T shirts:-)

Edited by PRyan2012

Personally, I don't mind the caution then two call. Interlocking fingers is bull$#!* and slows down a match for no good reason. Injury is a real thing in that case, so penalize the hell out of that behavior and get matches moving with less opportunity for some sort of problems with people's fingers.

The correct throw I remember from back in the day. I'm not a fan of rewarding someone for style points. Hit the move and score or don't.

That said, and I know it's not new this year, but I like the slipped throw call. It increases the ability for the wrestlers to take chances and I applaud that.

Par terre should be given a 10 second clock from the moment the takedown is awarded. This should be something that is indicated on the scoreboard so there is zero subjectivity involved in that call.