Sign in to follow this  
Fletcher

NaTo & Martin next year; weights

Heard rumors that NaTo could move back down to 125 (despite already looking like a big 133 lber.) - any truth to this?

Also, is Martin at 184 for good? I thought he looked a little undersized at NCAAs and wonder if he still could make it down to 174. Any chance he could he swap with Jordan, who looks like a big 174 lber. as it is? 184 does clear out a bit next year, but Nickal still isn't going anywhere.

Any insider insights from Ohio State fans?

So you're an Ohio State insider now too?

I am what ever that inner voice in your sweet little head thinks I am. Your inner voice once suggested I was Cael Sanderson, or Cunningham, so it has been consistently misguided on things. 

Edited by TBar1977

I don't see NaTo making the cut to 125. A Martin move down requires Bo Jordan to also move down, and I don't see that happening either. Not sure a Martin move helps Ohio State either. 

Unless Martin and Bo trade weights.  I remember Heflin jumping weights like that despite not being super tall.  I think Bo would do about the same at 184 as at 174.  Nickal's the only guy I'd say he couldn't beat at 184.  If Martin is a higher finisher at 174 I'd consider it.  

Here is what NaTo thinks about the weight cut. And this is recent.

Still, wrestling has never been more enjoyable for Tomasello that right now, and part of that is because he moved up one weight class to 133 upon returning to competition in December. It’s a more natural weight for his 5-foot3 frame.

No longer is Tomasello, a two-time All-American who can bench-press 285 pounds and dead-lift 455, spending an inordinate amount of time running and dieting to cut weight.

“Last year was so tough making it down to 125 (pounds),” he said. “It just took the joy out of not only the sport, but out of life a little bit. It was tough to be excited to wrestle and it was tough to be excited for life. At that point, I was like, ‘Why am I doing this to myself?’ ”

Less time running this season has meant more time in the wrestling room working on the mat. Tomasello has thrived on being able to once again concentrate on learning new moves, improving his technique. He’s a savant for strategy.

“This year I’ve just gone into matches with a free, open mentality to shoot as much as I can,” Tomasello said. “I feel like I have an infinite amount of gas in my tank because I’m not cutting that much weight.

“My conditioning is at its best. I’m as strong as I’ve ever been since I’ve gone up a weight. I don’t feel I have too much pressure going into matches. And I’m not over-analyzing opponents and thinking too much.”

http://www.dispatch.com/news/20170302/front-row-tomasello-happy-healthy-and-hungry-on-ohio-states-wrestling-mat

P.S. Reading stuff like this doesn't make you an Ohio State Insider, it just makes you sound like one to Internet Trolls. 

^that was prior to NCAAs.

Now they know their best lineup is nato 125, Pletcher 133 and Hayes 141

Nato wants to go out with a team win. The best chance for that is him at 125.

He can make it, but it is difficult. J wouldn't be surprised to see him at 133 until January, and see how it looks then.

^that was prior to NCAAs.

Now they know their best lineup is nato 125, Pletcher 133 and Hayes 141

He can make it, but it is difficult. J wouldn't be surprised to see him at 133 until January, and see how it looks then.

So in order to lose by less they are willing to take the joy out of wrestling, and even out of life for a 1x National Champ and 3x All American.  Should do wonders for recruiting. 

Edited by TBar1977

Has he actually said this, or do you just imagine it?  Personally, unless Nate is 100% set on going down to 125 to (1) give himself the best chance to win his 2nd title, and (2) help the team compete for a title, I'd rather see him finish his career where he's more comfortable at 133. It also allows Pletcher to redshirt.  

A Martin / Bo weight swap doesn't make any sense at all. 

Edited by steamboat_charlie

I was wondering the same thing.  With the new international weigh in rules, and knowing that NaTo has his sights set on bigger/better/beyonderer types of things, settling in at 125 for his final year makes a ton of sense, if he can manage it with his body style.  Again, I think that for his size and class, less focus on benching/deadlifting, more on "Ultimate Ninja Warrior" type strength training would do him wonders.  His flexibility would rival Mega's, and his "functional strength" would increase dramatically, allowing superior functional strength that requires less mass (weight).  Just sayin'.

I may be on an island, but I would agree that BoJo would be a great fit at 184, and MyMar would do himself more justice at 174.  Then again, the amount of points at NCAA's probably doesn't change a whole lot with the switcheroo.

125-NATO

133-Pletcher

141-Hayes

149-M Jordan

157-Burcher

165-Campbell

174-BoJo

184-MyMar

197-Moore

285-Snyder

That is one salty and tough line up. I see 6 potential finalists and AA's at 8 weights at least. That's enough to compete with PSU

Finally!  A "decent" post made by... well... a definite Fanactic.

Slide Racer in at 157, past Burcher, and that is a pretty nice lineup.  My homerish predictions, if these hold true:

125 - CHAMP

133 - Low/Mid AA

141 - Low/Mid AA

149 - 2nd-4th

157 - NQ (maybe R12?)

165 - NQ (maybe R12+) This will largely depend on how well he does and grows in the tOSU room

174 - 2nd (again)

184 - 2nd-4th

197 - CHAMP

285 - CHAMP

Finally! A "decent" post made by... well... a definite Fanactic.

Slide Racer in at 157, past Burcher, and that is a pretty nice lineup. My homerish predictions, if these hold true:

125 - CHAMP

133 - Low/Mid AA

141 - Low/Mid AA

149 - 2nd-4th

157 - NQ (maybe R12?)

165 - NQ (maybe R12+) This will largely depend on how well he does and grows in the tOSU room

174 - 2nd (again)

184 - 2nd-4th

197 - CHAMP

285 - CHAMP

If NaTo can make 125 none of these predictions by itself is un realistic.

NaTo and TR should re-watch "I just want to have fun" montage from the parade of national champions PSU sent out 5 weight classes in a row. Cael has a strong history of successful results when his guys go up weights. I think NaTo could go 141 and be even money with Heil.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk