Sign in to follow this  
Fletcher

NaTo & Martin next year; weights

Weight cutting and nutrition has changed a great deal in the last 20 years.

Did you like and then unlike my post just now?

Whatever Tomasello decides to do is his own decision, but I didn't particularly care for your quote because I feel the way it was written sends the wrong message.

He ju

Did you like and then unlike my post just now?

Whatever Tomasello decides to do is his own decision, but I didn't particularly care for your quote because I feel the way it was written sends the wrong message.

He just made 125.663 in an off-season tournament, less than two months removed from St. Louis.

Bringing up 3 unfortunate deaths 20 years ago is a bit extreme and outside the norm.

I'm sure Tomasello can make the weight if he wants, but there's a huge difference between making 57 kg with day before weigh-ins and making 125 lbs every week for four months in a row with 1-hour weighins.

The reason I think NaTo may go down is that starting in 2018, the international weigh-ins will switch to same-day. 133 lbers cutting down to 57 kg weeks after the college season ends will be a thing of the past staring next year.

He ju

He just made 125.663 in an off-season tournament, less than two months removed from St. Louis.

Bringing up 3 unfortunate deaths 20 years ago is a bit extreme and outside the norm.

Not when the analogy is "The euphoria will outlast a few months of pain."

This is the same exact philosophy that motivated those 3 unfortunate deaths.

Again I did not care for the way that quote was written.

I'm sure Tomasello can make the weight if he wants, but there's a huge difference between making 57 kg with day before weigh-ins and making 125 lbs every week for four months in a row with 1-hour weighins.

The reason I think NaTo may go down is that starting in 2018, the international weigh-ins will switch to same-day. 133 lbers cutting down to 57 kg weeks after the college season ends will be a thing of the past staring next year.

I do not think he would be at 125 the entire season. He might go the "Palacio" route. See you guys in Cleveland! 

This still doesn't overcome 5 champs, and "X" # of additional AA's that PSU will be bringing... that's some serious horsepower between those two teams...

PSU is not s lock for 5 champs. Cenzo and Hall could very well lose (no disrespect, they just have solid competitors in their weight classes)

PSU is the favorite, but Ohio State can make it interesting and maybe even win. They are returning 110 points, Nato can score some more with a win, Pletcher at 133 can AA, Hayes could AA at 141, they can easily top last year scores at 157 and 165, Martin is likely to place higher, as is Moore.

That is 110 points plus possibly 40

This still doesn't overcome 5 champs, and "X" # of additional AA's that PSU will be bringing... that's some serious horsepower between those two teams...

Everything will have to go right for PSU to have 5 champs again if NATO drops to 125. Nickal's worst match up is MyMar, BoJo vs Hall is a toss up, Vincenzo has IMar, Massa, and THE BULL to go through.

It's by no means a wrap if NATO drops to 125. I think Pletcher competes for a national title at 133. He was smaller at 141 than Gross was and looked what Gross did at 141 (rd12) and at 133 (2nd). He will have a lot of horsepower behind him. Hayes will have a great year. I definitely don't think Racer beats Burcher, I'm not high at all on the kid. I'd be surprised if he lasted the entire year.

It will be a battle between the two programs for 1st with the Dynasty coming in strong with a 3rd place finish...positioning itself well for future title runs

NaTo and TR should re-watch "I just want to have fun" montage from the parade of national champions PSU sent out 5 weight classes in a row. Cael has a strong history of successful results when his guys go up weights. I think NaTo could go 141 and be even money with Heil.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

You're nuts.  Nato hasn't won a title at 125 or 133 the last 2 years while Heil has gone 64-1 with 2 titles and a 41 match win streak at 141.  But in your mind the lesser wrestler is going to bump up a weight over his head (literally since he's 5'3") and go even money?  

Edited by boconnell

Everything will have to go right for PSU to have 5 champs again if NATO drops to 125. Nickal's worst match up is MyMar, BoJo vs Hall is a toss up, Vincenzo has IMar, Massa, and THE BULL to go through.

That road goes thru Cenzo and I Mar, and the BULL wil;l be paying TOLLS just to cross that road. Those tolls will be heavy. But Iowa can finish top 10. Confident they slip no lower than that next year. 

That road goes thru Cenzo and I Mar, and the BULL wil;l be paying TOLLS just to cross that road. Those tolls will be heavy. But Iowa can finish top 10. Confident they slip no lower than that next year.

THE BULL will be there at the end, I'm not worried. Will Cenzo? That I'm not certain of. And enough of this garbage "can finish top 10", we will be top 3.

125-NATO

133-Pletcher

141-Hayes

149-M Jordan

157-Burcher

165-Campbell

174-BoJo

184-MyMar

197-Moore

285-Snyder

That is one salty and tough line up. I see 6 potential finalists and AA's at 8 weights at least. That's enough to compete with PSU

Good lineup, but I thought the plan is for Pletcher to RS next year.

Maybe I'm overestimating the size difference, but I think Jordan would be a better style match-up than Martin against Nickal. Jordan is extremely conservative and relies on error-free defense and counter wrestling. I could see this frustrating Nickal and encouraging him to get offensive, where Jordan could capitalize off of small errors or imperfect technique.

Pure conjecture, as I agree with others who noted that switching Martin and Jordan doesn't really help them from a team standpoint (plus the fact that Martin has beaten Nickal twice, fluke or not). Just would love to see a Jordan-Nickal match.

You're nuts. Nato hasn't won a title at 125 or 133 the last 2 years while Heil has gone 64-1 with 2 titles and a 41 match win streak at 141. But in your mind the lesser wrestler is going to bump up a weight over his head (literally since he's 5'3") and go even money?

I dislike Dean Heil's style more than anyone I know but I would favor him to control NATO. I mean really where is NATO better? He's not as athletic, he's not stronger (I'd say they are even money there), his defense isn't as stingy as Heil's, he doesn't finish leg attacks as smoothly as Heil, and he doesn't out wrestle him on the mat.

If Dean Heil was Brands trained, he would be the 2nd best wrestler in college right now with his talent and skill set. But he's still pretty dang good and seems like a nice kid.

I dislike Dean Heil's style more than anyone I know but I would favor him to control NATO. I mean really where is NATO better? He's not as athletic, he's not stronger (I'd say they are even money there), his defense isn't as stingy as Heil's, he doesn't finish leg attacks as smoothly as Heil, and he doesn't out wrestle him on the mat.

If Dean Heil was Brands trained, he would be the 2nd best wrestler in college right now with his talent and skill set. But he's still pretty dang good and seems like a nice kid.

Right when I was ready to call you 21guns west you throw out a mostly reasonable post... 

I also hate Heil's style more than almost any in the country.  Not because he is defensive (some guys need to be due to talent), but because he doesn't need to be.  But you do a nice run down of why it's absurd to pick NATO over him.  

I do think tOSU could redshirt Pletcher and Martin in 18-19 and come out with this lineup in 19-20

125- Heinselman

133- Pletcher/Decatur

141- JRod/Pletcher

149- Hayes

157- Carr/Mattox

165- Mattox/Carr

174- Romero

184- Martin

197- Moore

Hwt- Singletary

Add in Sasso and Hayes could stay down at 141.

I do think tOSU could redshirt Pletcher and Martin in 18-19 and come out with this lineup in 19-20

125- Heinselman

133- Pletcher/Decatur

141- JRod/Pletcher

149- Hayes

157- Carr/Mattox

165- Mattox/Carr

174- Romero

184- Martin

197- Moore

Hwt- Singletary

Add in Sasso and Hayes could stay down at 141.

Won't Micah still be wrestling for Ohio St or do you expect a transfer? wink wink

Edited by lu1979

Right when I was ready to call you 21guns west you throw out a mostly reasonable post...

I also hate Heil's style more than almost any in the country. Not because he is defensive (some guys need to be due to talent), but because he doesn't need to be. But you do a nice run down of why it's absurd to pick NATO over him.

It seems like every time he attacks he scores and it's not like they are all super well set up either. He has a great low double ala Logan Stieber but his is more from space, nice knee pull, and very solid from a front head.

I think his future is brighter in freestyle than it is in folk.

Won't Micah still be wrestling for Ohio St or do you expect a transfer? wink wink

No. This is 3 years down the road. they can go for it all next year, then have a rebuilding year, and come back as contenders after Nolf, Nickal, and Nevills graduate.

Rebuilding year would look like:

125- Koontz

133- JRod

141- Hayes

149- Jordan

157- Burcher/Racer

165- Romero

174- Campbell

184- Smith

197- Moore

Hwt- Singletary

Edited by LemonPie

PSU is not s lock for 5 champs. Cenzo and Hall could very well lose (no disrespect, they just have solid competitors in their weight classes)

PSU is the favorite, but Ohio State can make it interesting and maybe even win. They are returning 110 points, Nato can score some more with a win, Pletcher at 133 can AA, Hayes could AA at 141, they can easily top last year scores at 157 and 165, Martin is likely to place higher, as is Moore.

That is 110 points plus possibly 40

Very much agree. Penn State could conceivably have 6 champs. 3 are heavy favorites (Nolf, Nickal, and Retherford) and the other 3 are early favorites to varying degrees (Suriano, Cenzo, and Hall) but of that group, Cenzo is the one I'm least confident in due to the depth at 165. 

Ohio State has 2 strong favorites in Moore and Snyder and another favorite in NaTo assuming he goes 133 (or any weight for the matter, I favor him). But their remaining 7 guys aren't going to be able to pick up enough slack nor will these 3 score as many points as Penn State's big 3. 

Hawkfanatic1 seems more like a troll from another school (likely PSU) impersonating an Iowa fan in order to stir up negativity about them rather than an actual Iowa fan.