131 replies to this topic

#1 wnywrestling

wnywrestling

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 05:14 AM

https://www.nfhs.org...hool-wrestling/

What exactly are "shorts designed for wrestling"?  Are any such shorts being marketed?  Before a team orders new uniforms, how can they be sure they're in compliance?  The wording makes it sound like there's more to it than just a 4" inseam.

MARCH MAT-NESS

Week 1 - ~76 teams - NCAA Tournament (The same 3-day tourney everyone loves; team score determines wildcards)
Week 2 - 16 teams - Dual meets, separate locations, separate times (Conference dual champs + wildcards)
Week 3 -  8 teams - Dual meets, separate locations, separate times
Week 4 -  4 teams - Winning team is NCAA champion

Anything else is bush league.

#2 superbowlhomeboy

superbowlhomeboy

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 05:36 AM

I think that's just their way of saying "Fight Shorts" and not just any old general mesh or nylon gym shorts. It would make sense that the NFHS wouldn't want to refer to part of a uniform as a "fight" anything. 

Edited by superbowlhomeboy, 02 May 2017 - 05:36 AM.

#3 MadMardigain

MadMardigain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,408 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 05:36 AM

I would just assume not super baggy "Fight Shorts" that are not to long, since their is a length requirement involved.

#4 wnywrestling

wnywrestling

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 06:50 AM

Just found these, which look about the right length.  Of course, teams need a similar cut with their custom colors/design.  Most I've seen that are custom are too long, especially for the lightweights.

Asics Feud

http://www.eastbay.c...ing-shorts-mens

Edited by wnywrestling, 02 May 2017 - 06:52 AM.

MARCH MAT-NESS

Week 1 - ~76 teams - NCAA Tournament (The same 3-day tourney everyone loves; team score determines wildcards)
Week 2 - 16 teams - Dual meets, separate locations, separate times (Conference dual champs + wildcards)

#5 MadMardigain

MadMardigain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,408 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 07:33 AM

Just found these, which look about the right length. Of course, teams need a similar cut with their custom colors/design. Most I've seen that are custom are too long, especially for the lightweights.

Asics Feud
http://www.eastbay.c...ing-shorts-mens

With new approval I'm sure the major apparels companies are already working on a design to have out on the market this summer.

#6 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 07:37 AM

I dont think those shorts will be legal. They are still too loose and not considered "compression" shorts like the rule states.

I believe that they're talking about this type....

http://www.wwsport.c...ut-Short_325045

#7 MadMardigain

MadMardigain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,408 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 07:39 AM

I dont think those shorts will be legal. They are still too loose and not considered "compression" shorts like the rule states.

It says:
The "compression shorts or shorts designed for wrestling" shall be school-issued and shall have a minimum 4-inch inseam that does not extend below the knee.

Shorts designed for wrestling would basically be fight shorts that are not to long or baggy.

Edited by MadMardigain, 02 May 2017 - 07:42 AM.

#8 superbowlhomeboy

superbowlhomeboy

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 07:40 AM

Those are just "compression" shorts. The way the sentence is worded is tricky, but I don't think "shorts designed for wrestling" is used as an identifier (appositive phrase) for "compression shorts," I think it's a separate object in the sentence meant to refer to the shorts that we call "fight shorts." This means wrestlers can wear compression shorts OR "fight shorts" with their compression top. 

As for the length of fight shorts, some kids will just need to buy a size smaller than they are currently wearing. 

Edited by superbowlhomeboy, 02 May 2017 - 07:42 AM.

#9 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 07:50 AM

Those are just "compression" shorts. The way the sentence is worded is tricky, but I don't think "shorts designed for wrestling" is used as an identifier (appositive phrase) for "compression shorts," I think it's a separate object in the sentence meant to refer to the shorts that we call "fight shorts." This means wrestlers can wear compression shorts OR "fight shorts" with their compression top. 

As for the length of fight shorts, some kids will just need to buy a size smaller than they are currently wearing. 

The shorts I showed you are designed specifically for wrestling made by Cliff Kean. They're basically the bottom half of a singlet and the ones that were used years ago when Colleges used the 2 piece uniforms and are very different from compression shorts made by UnderArmour.

You're right, the rule needs wording that further clarification because the way I read it.. "or shorts designed for wrestling" does not mean they have a choice between two styles of wrestling short. Its classifying that the shorts be compression shorts made specifically for wrestling. Again.. I could be completely wrong, but thats just how I read it.

We'll see how officials and governing bodies interpret the rules.

Edited by BigTenFanboy, 02 May 2017 - 07:57 AM.

#10 superbowlhomeboy

superbowlhomeboy

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 08:05 AM

It's a poorly worded sentence by them, but I'm almost certain they mean "fight shorts," but they're too PC to use the word "fight." 

#11 wnywrestling

wnywrestling

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 02:06 PM

I'm pretty sure they mean fight shorts too, otherwise this rule will do nothing to increase participation.  But most available fight shorts are way too baggy... check out the video Flo posted as an example. Even for bigger guys (160-pounders in video) they have to tuck them up to make them comfortable.  I can't imagine what they'd look like on a 106-pounder.  This rule's gonna be a bust unless someone makes an acceptable short.

http://www.flowrestl...chool-wrestling

MARCH MAT-NESS

#12 HawkFanactic1

HawkFanactic1

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 02:20 PM

Talked to a buddy on one of the state boards in Minnesota (good guy, lifelong Hawk fan) and it can be either compression shorts or fight shorts.

I've found that most fight shorts run a size too small. I like mine a little baggy before I tighten the string. He said the shirts have to be tight but not tight to the point that it sticks to your skin. Thank god, that's the worst thing in the world to get on/off

#13 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 02:32 PM

That's very interesting.. I rememeber about 10 years ago they didnt like the two piece uniform due to the "possibility" of fingers getting snagged in the waist band of the shorts. Made no sense to be since the shorts were compression. By that logic it "would make sense" to be against fight shorts since fingers "could" get caught in the waist bands of those.

I used "" because to me it was a ridiculous argument.

Anyways either style works for me. If it doesn't increase participation, at the very least it gives the wrestlers one less thing to be defensive of with nonwrestlers.

This should have been instituted 10 years ago.

Edited by BigTenFanboy, 02 May 2017 - 02:34 PM.

#14 superbowlhomeboy

superbowlhomeboy

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 11:49 PM

People complaining about fingers getting caught are just looking for something to whine about. Kids practice in this stuff every single day. If it's not an issue at practice, why is it magically going to be an issue in meets, especially with the regulations regarding length and fit? 

#15 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 12:01 AM

People complaining about fingers getting caught are just looking for something to whine about. Kids practice in this stuff every single day. If it's not an issue at practice, why is it magically going to be an issue in meets, especially with the regulations regarding length and fit? 

Agreed. Just pointing out the argument that was made years ago when the 2 piece uniforms first came out. I knew a bunch of first year middle school wrestlers who saw the two piece uniforms and thought they were "awesome" and "looked so cool" but unfortunately were not allowed to use them instead of the singlet.

#16 Zebra

Zebra

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,782 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 03:26 AM

Does this mean all of those "I quit wrestling because of a singlet" kids will now start wrestling and make this the most popular sport in the world? 

#17 fanta

fanta

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 03:42 AM

A lot has to do with their privates and how they appear when they wrestle and what comments they get from the student body in middle school and high school as well as how that area ends up looking in pictures. It is tough for middle schoolers to get over comments from friends even if they have wrestled for years and even worse to try and get new wrestlers out. Seems to show that teams should at least have the option and I would bet millions that sometime in the future singlets will be gone.

#18 superbowlhomeboy

superbowlhomeboy

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 04:00 AM

Does this mean all of those "I quit wrestling because of a singlet" kids will now start wrestling and make this the most popular sport in the world? 

No, but it will help. If it helps, it's worth the switch. There are no real negatives outside of "we just bought new singlets." 

#19 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 04:02 AM

Probably not. Truth be told I don't think kids that say I wont wrestle because of the singlet actually mean they would if they didn't use a singlet. Its just an easy excuse/cop out.

Allowing the use of the two piece uniform just gives people 1 less excuse and 1 less thing to make fun of towards wrestlers.

#20 Zebra

Zebra

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,782 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 04:15 AM

Probably not. Truth be told I don't think kids that say I wont wrestle because of the singlet actually mean they would if they didn't use a singlet. Its just an easy excuse/cop out.

Allowing the use of the two piece uniform just gives people 1 less excuse and 1 less thing to make fun of towards wrestlers.

That's what I've been saying for years. Anybody who quit because of a singlet actually quit because they didn't want to wrestle in the first place. 

• BadgerMon likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users