• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#121 Zebra

Zebra

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,782 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:31 AM

There are 330,000,000 people in this country and a majority of a small minority is a minority and by definition, few. I assure most of them who approve are not doing for same reason as you. Most will be exactly like me and really not care one way of the other. I have no opposition to a change but I'n not going to pretend it's going to make a difference. Ten years form now somebody will look at the participation numbers and the variation year to year will be tracking similar to what it did the years prior. There will be no magical spike starting in the 2017-2018 season.   

#122 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:51 AM

The bottom line is this... Some people believe the excuse behind the singlet... some people dont...

#123 Zebra

Zebra

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,782 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 05:43 AM

But it's more that just that individual level issue.

Some people have actually come to believe this is the reason (or primary one anyway) wrestling numbers are declining and will magically fix the issue. I am a realist and will not fall into that fantastical trap. Over time any impact will be less than the statistical error associated with any data set. 

Homophobia and fat shaming will continue on forever. 

#124 Jeff_Pape

Jeff_Pape

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 837 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 07:42 AM

I have to agree with those that say this will not increase numbers. The numbers have been fairly consistent. Even USA wrestling announces record numbers in many years and participation increased by like 12 wrestlers that particular year (okay that is an extreme but it's pretty accurate in certain years). 

To me even the number of wrestlers in the USA is in question. I always wanted to figure out how many wrestlers actually stayed with wrestling the entire year. I can remember in high school, we started out with a ton of Freshman wrestlers every year and after even a few weeks the numbers dropped significantly. Are the high school numbers just anyone that ever stepped into a wrestling room that particular high school season? And how many of those Freshman wrestlers finish the year out. 

If we were interested in growing wrestling, figure out how to run a tournament so the fans and parents and wrestlers don't need to be there for 8 to 10 hours. That will help grow the sport more than changing uniforms. Although, hopefully I am wrong and there is a huge increase in wrestlers next year.

Jeff Pape

WrestlingGear.Com

#125 1032004

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 11:28 AM

It's a combination of things. First off it's the one piece factor. Second it's the tightness factor. 3rd is the wearing a tight 1 piece, while rolling around with another man factor.

The sport of wrestling unfortunately evokes a negative reaction to many in the general public. Therefore every aspect that is considered "suspect" will be nitpicked at. The singlet actually is very functional, but is identical to what some sprinters wear. Sprinters in track wear unitards all the time, but dont get ridiculed for it. Swimmers wear Speedos but don't get ridiculed nearly as much as wrestlers for 2 reasons. People acknolege the fact that when swimming it's best to be streamlined. And 2, since youre in the water, theres not much to be seen.

OK I'll give you the singlets in track, but track athletes would sometimes get ridiculed for wearing "short shorts."

I think speedos do get ridiculed fairly often though. And from what I've seen more swimmers are wearing longer shorts now, so I'd bet not wanting to wear a speedo might have something to do with that.

But it's more that just that individual level issue.

Some people have actually come to believe this is the reason (or primary one anyway) wrestling numbers are declining and will magically fix the issue. I am a realist and will not fall into that fantastical trap. Over time any impact will be less than the statistical error associated with any data set.

Homophobia and fat shaming will continue on forever.

I think few if any people in this thread said it was the primary reason. But it could help reduce the decline - key words being reduce the decline, not suddenly cause an increase. To act as definitively as you are about it is silly because no one really knows what will happen.

I said earlier if this rule leads to 1 extra kid for every 3 schools, it would cut last year's decline in half. And even if it's 1 kid out of every 20 schools I think that would still be statistically significant.

#126 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 01:20 PM

I said that swimmers don't get ridiculed AS MUCH as wrestlers. Hence they get ridiculed none the less. Track athletes get ridiculed for short shorts as do soccer players. Baseball players get ridiculed for their tight pants. If you're a senior and are on the football team but dont start you get ridiculed. I've coached at 5 different high schools over the past 25 years. The only athletes I haven't found to get ridiculed for their sport would be the starting football players and basketball players

High school kids are just plain mean.

#127 Zebra

Zebra

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,782 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 01:43 PM

OK I'll give you the singlets in track, but track athletes would sometimes get ridiculed for wearing "short shorts."

I think speedos do get ridiculed fairly often though. And from what I've seen more swimmers are wearing longer shorts now, so I'd bet not wanting to wear a speedo might have something to do with that.

I think few if any people in this thread said it was the primary reason. But it could help reduce the decline - key words being reduce the decline, not suddenly cause an increase. To act as definitively as you are about it is silly because no one really knows what will happen.

I said earlier if this rule leads to 1 extra kid for every 3 schools, it would cut last year's decline in half. And even if it's 1 kid out of every 20 schools I think that would still be statistically significant.

It's not specifically this thread per se but the 20 other threads in which people vociferously made that argument. And it won't even be 1 kid in 20 schools, more like 1 in over a thousand. Singlets are not now nor have ever been the reason kids did not start or quit wrestling, The statistical difference will be within the margin of error and untraceable.

#128 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:05 PM

I see the two piece uniform solving 2 things.

1 it give haters 1 less excuse to why they won't wrestle,
2 it give one less thing for people to think is the reason more kids don't wrestle.
  • WrestlingLife likes this

#129 1032004

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 01:12 PM

so why not kill 2 birds with one stone and go to long sleeves/pants?  solves the singlet issue (not to mention concerns people have over shorts), and should help with skin diseases as well.

mma_pico_009.jpg

#130 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 02:43 PM

so why not kill 2 birds with one stone and go to long sleeves/pants?  solves the singlet issue (not to mention concerns people have over shorts), and should help with skin diseases as well.

mma_pico_009.jpg

You mean like the singlets with full length leggings built in?

#131 1032004

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 11:51 PM

You mean like the singlets with full length leggings built in?

Didn't we just have this conversation? I think part of the ridicule comes from a singlet by definition being a 1-piece.

#132 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 03:02 PM

Didn't we just have this conversation? I think part of the ridicule comes from a singlet by definition being a 1-piece.

I agree with you man! I think those long legging singlets were by far the worst looking things I've ever seen. With that said, I think long sleeve top and bottoms would also look horrible.

I like the two piece uniform (compression shorts).
Don't really care for the fight shorts being worn in actual matches.
Like singlets.. and even like leggings under the singlet...
Hated the one piece long legged singlets...
Don't like the idea of long sleeve top..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users