Sign in to follow this  
HatchetJack

Edinboro Open

Nice win for Grey. I see these two fighting it out in the future.

In the first period Grey caught Beckman adjusting his head gear to get in deep on a shot to get the only take down. Not exactly a great win by any means. But he did what he had to do to get his arm raised so hats off to him.

In the first period Grey caught Beckman adjusting his head gear to get in deep on a shot to get the only take down. Not exactly a great win by any means. But he did what he had to do to get his arm raised so hats off to him.

Or headgears off in this case. ;)

So in 7 minutes of wrestling, that's the only reason he won? Lol, I take it you're from PA? Man, sour grapes taste awful.

So in 7 minutes of wrestling, that's the only reason he won? Lol, I take it you're from PA? Man, sour grapes taste awful.

LOL,not from PA but I was matside for this one were you. I don't have a dog in this fight at all. I like watching both of these guys and have seen them both wrestle since Tulsa youth tournaments. All I said was that Grey took advantage of Beckman's adjusting of his head gear and did everything that he needed to do to get this win. Can Grey beat him again sure he can. Will Beckman beat Grey again I would say most probably as he has had his number in the recent matches.Recently Grey lost to Dijulius 8-2. Through the years those two have wrestled more than a few times and that might have been Dijulius's first win against him. Does that mean Dijulius is now better than Grey? The history tells me I don't think so.But what it means is that he was in that match. So no sour grapes here. Just stating what happened from actually being there matside as apposed to just looking at the score from your living room.

Beckman lost period. Adjusting your headgear or fixing your contact it all counts. We'll see next year who is better but keep in mind Beckman has been wrestling D1 for a couple of years. Grey should be making progress and this result supports that conclusion. Since "you were there" I imagine you'd agree that getting caught fixing your headgear or whatever all counts.

Danny Mitchell from American looked very good. He'll likely be one of the top guys next year at 197.

i thought he had graduated is this the first he wrestled this year just figured he was one of the cody transfers that would only be there for two years

figure he will be at the national college open wonder if mcintosh and courts will be there havent seen anything from the pennstater

Danny Mitchell is a brilliant student who graduated in three years...

He was recruited to AU by Cody and wrestled as a true freshman, and then for two more years.

Seems an odd time to take a RS...but then again, 197 is going to be pretty cleared out next year..so

likely it is a wise move.

I think he's in their MBA program.

Beckman lost period. Adjusting your headgear or fixing your contact it all counts. We'll see next year who is better but keep in mind Beckman has been wrestling D1 for a couple of years. Grey should be making progress and this result supports that conclusion. Since "you were there" I imagine you'd agree that getting caught fixing your headgear or whatever all counts.

Isn't that what I said?? in fact twice

"But he did what he had to do to get his arm raised so hats off to him."

"All I said was that Grey took advantage of Beckman's adjusting of his head gear and did everything that he needed to do to get this win. Can Grey beat him again sure he can."

Holy crap you are negative and biased, hatchetjack. Can anybody say anything even neutral about an Lu guy? Dang dude, chill out. Your posts are like thread killers... You're over the top and missing the point.

I didn't comment on the match, so it doesn't matter if I was mat side, or in my living room. The tone of your original post suggested that the sole reason Grey won was because he got a fluky takedown due to Beckman adjusting his headgear, and "did what it took to win".

You state that it "wasn't exactly a great win, but he did what it took to win", right? Isn't that essentially saying he was lucky? And what do match results from youth wrestling have to do with what a kid with 2 years in the Lehigh room have to do with anything?

My point was that a superior wrestler with 7 full minutes of time on a mat should have ample time to overcome such a hardship, as giving up the fluky 2 while adjusting headgear.

I hate excuses, and wouldn't fall back on something so weak to explain a loss, for either myself or anyone that I coach.

I didn't comment on the match, so it doesn't matter if I was mat side, or in my living room. The tone of your original post suggested that the sole reason Grey won was because he got a fluky takedown due to Beckman adjusting his headgear, and "did what it took to win".

You state that it "wasn't exactly a great win, but he did what it took to win", right? Isn't that essentially saying he was lucky? And what do match results from youth wrestling have to do with what a kid with 2 years in the Lehigh room have to do with anything?

My point was that a superior wrestler with 7 full minutes of time on a mat should have ample time to overcome such a hardship, as giving up the fluky 2 while adjusting headgear.

I hate excuses, and wouldn't fall back on something so weak to explain a loss, for either myself or anyone that I coach.

of course you are right, NJ wrestlers are the greatest, when ever they win it is a great win and they dominated like your governor dominates doughnuts

Nice straw man. I couldn't care less where either kid is from, as I have lived, wrestled, and coached in both states. What I said is I think the tone of your post does a disservice to Grey, who beat a very tough kid fair and square.

Something tells me Beckman wouldn't search for excuses to explain the loss, and is likely working hard to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Ok Njwc, I actually agree with you that this was a great match by grey and no excuses should be made for beckman. However, where I take issue with you is the statement that u could care less where the kid is from lol! It's obvious where your heart lies so don't try to fight it!

Ps. I wouldn't even be offended if u took the name NJRULES!

This may be the lamest excuse for a loss I have ever heard, and having been on this board for over ten years, that's saying something.

I'm glad someone else felt the excuse was pretty lame (and make no mistake, it was an excuse).

Pennsy, I really don't care. I've coached nearly as many PA kids as I have NJ kids. My son routinely goes to PA to compete, and plenty of his friends from PA come over the DE River to compete in NJ. I like to see the guys that I've coached, or know, do well. Doesn't matter which state they are from.