Photo

Bring back forced par terr?

greco us open passivity scoring offense

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Poll: Passivity in GR (9 member(s) have cast votes)

How should we deal with passivity in Greco-Roman?

1. Keep passivity the way it is (1 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

2. Bring back forced par terre (8 votes [88.89%])

Percentage of vote: 88.89%

3. Other? (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 GranbyTroll

GranbyTroll

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 06:18 AM

The Greco WTT finals were embarrassingly bad from a wrestling and an officiating standpoint. Not only were the matches low scoring and boring (with the exception of Manville vs Bey), but the officials flat out picked a winner in every bout of the Coleman vs Sancho series. I was sitting with someone who wrestled on a Greco Junior World team in the 80s and he couldn't make heads or tails of that series. 

I hate to say it, but maybe it's time to bring backed forced par terre. With forced par terre, the ref could influence the match by deciding who to put down, but at least you had a chance to defend yourself, and we got to see some big lifts. 

Iowa fans are still arrogant; it's just that their team isn't as good.

#2 Shiraz123

Shiraz123

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 07:26 PM

Greco needs to be dumped. Unwatchable sport for the most part and rule changes will not change that. Give the weights to MFS and make that a stronger product. 

#3 CoachPrebes

CoachPrebes
  • Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 12:07 AM

Greco needs to be dumped. Unwatchable sport for the most part and rule changes will not change that. Give the weights to MFS and make that a stronger product. 

Yes...because dumping a style that is more popular around the world than in the US makes perfect sense.

There do need to be some changes in Greco- I like the idea of bringing forced par terre back after a passivity caution. The change that I would make is: disqualification after the third passivity. I think if wrestlers know that they will be disqualified from a match for passivity, they may be more inclined to score.

Coach Prebes
Assistant Wrestling Coach
20th World Maccabiah Games

#4 GranbyTroll

GranbyTroll

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 02:40 AM

There do need to be some changes in Greco- I like the idea of bringing forced par terre back after a passivity caution. The change that I would make is: disqualification after the third passivity. I think if wrestlers know that they will be disqualified from a match for passivity, they may be more inclined to score.

I disagree that wrestlers will wrestle more if they face DQ. Without any proof or research, I imagine that most high level guys would actually let the ref DQ them before taking an unreasonably risky action that would result in a loss. It's one thing to complain about the ref hitting you for passivity when you "were the one doing all the wrestling," and quite another to go for something that you really  don't think is there. 

Iowa fans are still arrogant; it's just that their team isn't as good.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: greco, us open, passivity, scoring, offense

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users