Sign in to follow this  
tabenn

TIME TO FESS UP

This past season I made some prediction on this site and others and also just some comments to friends, well I was wrong on the following.

Bo move to 184 was not good for him or the PSU team-----way wrong!

Bo would not beat Dean

Cenzo was top 4 maybe--although the longer the season went  I was shying away from that one...way wrong!

Gilman--never thought he would be beat 

Nato---I thought he would be NC and even stated he could win it all at 141

Hall--- Thought he would AA but did not think he would be NC or beat Jordan..

Heil---- would not repeat and would not go undefeated.

Cox-- I thought Cox would have a loss this season-----

Gulibon--would be top 4

Zain---would break someone arm or at least dislocated someone shoulder..

Imar--would not be as strong at 165, he would not be able to bull his way in close matches...

Clark--no way he beats Nato or won NC.

I would like to hear from others if they had any of the same predictions...

While I didn't post my NCAA predictions here's how I did with pre-tournament predictions.

125 - Thomas Gilman would win... Wrong

133 - Nate Tomasello would win... Wrong

141 - Deil Heil would lose... Wrong

149 - Zain Retherford would lose in the semis to Sorenson due to the barn burner they had in the dual meet... Wrong

157 - Jason Nolf dominant win... RIGHT!

165 - Isaiah Martinez comfortable win.. Vincenzo Joseph 3rd... Wrong

174 - Bo Jordan win over Valencia... Wrong

184 - Bo Nickal wins a squeeker... RIGHT!!

197 - Cox easily wins... RIGHT!

285 - Synder easily wins.. RIGHT!

I went 4 out of 10. Not so hot...

After the semis this is how I did...

125 Darain Cruz.. RIGHT!

133 Seth Gross.. WRONG!!

141 Dean Heil... RIGHT!!

149 Zane Retherford... RIGHT!!

157 Jason Nolf__ RIGHT!!

165 Isaiah Martinez... WRONG!!!

174 Bo Jordan... WRONG!!!

184 Bo Nickal... RIGHT!!!

197 J'Den Cox... RIGHT!!!

285 Kyle Snyder... RIGHT!!!

7 out of 10 there... better but not by much...

Edited by BigTenFanboy

He looked capable of this when PSU wrestled OSU.

And hats off to you, tabenn. Takes serious guts to write this kind of post.

Coming close to getting a neutral fall (or even getting one that doesn't get called) does not get you top 4.  

Gulibon could have won that match by neutral fall and then flipped another one of his losses at NCAA by neutral fall and he's still wins away from top 4.

Coming close to getting a neutral fall (or even getting one that doesn't get called) does not get you top 4.  

Gulibon could have won that match by neutral fall and then flipped another one of his losses at NCAA by neutral fall and he's still wins away from top 4.

I'm not arguing that. I'm more so saying that Gulibon IMO was a very hot and cold wrestler.

I felt that when he was "on" he was capable of hanging with the best guys in the country.

When he was "off" he would lose to guys that he had no business losing to. 

For me, If he placed top 4 I honestly wouldn't have been THAT surprised, at the same time I wasn't surprised with both in poor performance at B1G's as well his decent start and eventual non-placing at NCAA's.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

OK. My NCAA Champ picks. The only one I take seriously is the team championship, which I got 100% correct. 

125 - I said all year Gilman would eventually lose - RIGHT. Once Suriano was out I had no idea who would beat Gilman - WRONG. 

133 - NaTo - WRONG

141 - Jack - WRONG

149 - Zain - RIGHT

157 - Nolf - RIGHT

165 - I Mar - WRONG

174 - Hall - RIGHT

184 - Mr. Bo Nickal - RIGHT

197 - J'Den - RIGHT

Hwt - Snyder - RIGHT

Nobody would touch Gilman. He got in his own head and decided that he wasn't any good on bottom. TnT need to rectify that crap before it happens next time.

I didn't have Cenzo winning. He was hot and IMar was not. It happens. He's certainly not better than IMar though.

I did have Clark winning it, he is just so dang tuff that I knew he'd pull it out. Heil was Heil, the best wrestler who never does anything (typically Okie State style). Sorenson looked like he was scared of ZR or something, he should have been in that match or beaten him.

Palacio the one trick pony upset Kem dawg really hurt me deep. I left after that match and got drunk a few seats down from Alger.

Otherwise, it went according to plan. I had Nolf, Hall, Nickal, Cox, and Snyder winning (as well as Clark and Heil).

Sure, what of that? You think he would not have been if not for the injury.

If you need to hang your hat on something silly, this is as good as anything else you have ever come up with.

Well if you're gonna pat yourself on the back for batting 1.000 in your PSU picks, then you should base it on facts, not speculation.

Edited by KCMO2

I would write mine, but I always have 10 guys that do it for me, so.....................;)

You and I both picked Brent Metcalf to qualify for Rio.   We were sadly incorrect.   

For the NCAA tournament,

At 125 I had Surriano winning it but then he went down with injury.   I did not pick anyone in his place.   I certainly wasn't going to pick Cruz.      Probably Gilman.    

At 133  I made no pick

141 I didn't see anyone beating Heil if they were not going to call defensive falls against him.   

149 Retherford

157 Nolf

165 Martinez

174 Valencia

184 Dean

197 Cox

HVY Sneider

Team Penn State

So I went 6-2 at NCAA's with 3 no calls 

I believe I said that Michigan places top 5 that was before Pantaleo and Abounder announced they were redshirting but I still thought they could it's hard to predict these types of things.  So many injury happen throughout the year. There were a few top notch guys that went down this year, hopefully they all rebound for the upcoming season.  

I thought Gilman would go undefeated and be in the Hodge conversation. I also said Cruz was overrated after Suriano beat him up, yikes.

I'm a western PA guy, and thought Joseph would be too small for 165 (despite being a huge fan of his). As the year on it was clear he would AA, but I thought Daniel Lewis would beat him (wrong) and was pessimistic in his chances vs Massa (wrong again). Sometimes it feels good to be wrong :).

I did not think Eierman would be effective at 141 after his struggles at 133, and thought he was being hyped up too much. Another dumb mistake.