Sign in to follow this  
newcoach

Help a brand new HS coach

I’ve been asked to take over and coach a struggling HS program next season. The old coach is moving on because his heart wasn’t really in it and he couldn’t support his family on the measly salary he was paid. I was kind of a part-time volunteer assistant coach last season. I’ve never been a head coach—just an assistant/sparring partner and it’s been a long time—20+ years—since I’ve wrestled competitively in college. I need some recommendations on how to structure a good practice—conditioning, instructional, situational drills, live wrestling—what’s your best advice on how to run practice? What kinds of effective drills do you do specifically? How long do you spend on each phase of practice during a 2 hour session? Any help would greatly be appreciated.Thank you!

Our talent level is mediocre. There are about 20 kids on the team--none of whom started wrestling before high school. There are 1 or 2 decent kids who can hold their own in a match mostly because they're strong for their size, not because they have good technique. Most are beginners and a few are intermediates who know the basics--singles/doubles/half nelsons/sprawl/headlocks/cradles/etc. No one would be able to qualify for state that's for sure. My goals are to build a program that teaches them hard work can lead to success but, at the same time, I want it to be fun also. A good program would be one that could feed on itself--meaning the current wrestlers would get more of their friends to come out for the team so we could have a bigger talent pool in the room. In the beginning, it would be great to develop at least a couple of talented wrestlers that the beginners want to emulate. The desire is there. They just need some leadership. That's where I come in.

Check ego at door.

Of course you know more than you could possibly teach in the allotted practice time.

Even though everyone is too good for it...

Start practice by warming up with at least a couple basic skill drills straight from USA practice curriculum.

Don't be that coach with half the team wrestling for years but do not get the "up and through" concept on shots.

Coach the position, not the moves will go a long way.

An expert is a master of the basics but that is so boring.

Edited by takedownartist