Sign in to follow this  
LImartin

MATSIDE -2nd Official

JMO-

Add an Official at the scoring table - strictly , to assess STALLING and to raise a hand or flag to the mat official would HELP the NON- action in this Sport at this level.

Ive seen some UGLY looking matches and it isnt getting better - it is getting worse.

Can also, eliminate OT matches- STALL WARNINGs will be considered "penalties" in case of a tie at regulation. SPEED UP THE SPORT...VISUALLY ENHANCE THE SPORT.

JMO-

Add an Official at the scoring table - strictly , to assess STALLING and to raise a hand or flag to the mat official would HELP the NON- action in this Sport at this level.

Ive seen some UGLY looking matches and it isnt getting better - it is getting worse.

Can also, eliminate OT matches- STALL WARNINGs will be considered "penalties" in case of a tie at regulation. SPEED UP THE SPORT...VISUALLY ENHANCE THE SPORT.

If it was a penalty in case of a tie, it would never get called. Also when it did decide a match we would be on here complaining that the ref should have just let them wrestle.

I agree just adding another guy who won't call an obvious penalty won't help. I think the stalling rule needs to be clearly written. These top who drop to a low leg clasp, spiral riders and tight waisters and parallel guys who grab wrists and hang on are just as piss poor as the guys who can't ge off bottom but at least the top guy is working toward that 1 pt. I don't have a remedy other than actually enforcing the stall early and often.Sadly too many officials call 1st stalling with 20, or so, secs left, in matches where the score is 12-1 and make themselves into laughing stocks

silverback,

The Mat Officials at the College level- in general have lost all credibility toward the INTERPRETATION of stalling. In many cases they actually, have progressed to calling stalls.... stalemates. Many bow to pressure from Coaches and crowds. If, you place a tabled official with ONE PURPOSE- to recognize stalling and to identify the individual who is stalling. IT WOULD BE WORTH IT'S WEIGHT IN GOLD.

I watch a 100 matches and it seems there is UNITY in not calling stalling. IMO- This is not benefiting this Sport and 7 minutes of blocking - not working for a fall.... makes my eyes bleed.

- imo. Ive never seen such BORING matches in the neutral position. I have never seen so many wrestlers in the offensive position NOT working for a tilt or fall. Wrestlers leading by 1 or 2 pts shutting it down.

Any suggestions ???

I just watched PSU Pitt. after reading here. I was struck by the stalling of both teams. More I was struck by the way good defense was charaterized as stalling and not being aggressive by the announcers. Some of those who are opposed to officials calling stalling are also opposed to guys who can scramble and counter as not being agressive.Good scrambles near the boundaries are some of the most exciting times in wrestling. In today's dual, one of the past 2 years highest scoring wrestlers "earned at least 6 pts by countering and one by taking a shot vs Garbinsky.I would not have faulted him for using a tactic that was successful. Although the match was a blow out, Ronnie made it exciting by scoring on one of his many shot attempts with time running out to avoid a MD. That was exciting to watch, for me.

Macke/Conaway was a good example of 2 very evenly matched guys wrestling. Although few shots were attempted both were battling to create angles, gain a front head or working from a Russian. Nothing was there, so diving for a leg would have been pretty stupid. Good defense is fun to watch if you know what you are watching.

I just watched PSU Pitt. after reading here. I was struck by the stalling of both teams. More I was struck by the way good defense was charaterized as stalling and not being aggressive by the announcers. Some of those who are opposed to officials calling stalling are also opposed to guys who can scramble and counter as not being agressive.Good scrambles near the boundaries are some of the most exciting times in wrestling. In today's dual, one of the past 2 years highest scoring wrestlers "earned at least 6 pts by countering and one by taking a shot vs Garbinsky.I would not have faulted him for using a tactic that was successful. Although the match was a blow out, Ronnie made it exciting by scoring on one of his many shot attempts with time running out to avoid a MD. That was exciting to watch, for me.

Macke/Conaway was a good example of 2 very evenly matched guys wrestling. Although few shots were attempted both were battling to create angles, gain a front head or working from a Russian. Nothing was there, so diving for a leg would have been pretty stupid. Good defense is fun to watch if you know what you are watching.

I agree, and I think the three stall calls against Mack vs. none against PSU changed that match. They were two evenly matched guys, but Mack had the only TD in regulation. Getting the ref to call more stalling doesn't always improve things.

JMO-

What happens when the anti-stalling intelligentsia get their way and stalling is called at a maniacal pace by officials and the sport still doesn't grow? What then?

usually, by rule someone gets DQ'd.

I understand what you are saying- the frequency will become too easy for an official. I cant make that call and I think you are not being fair to the officials by assuming that they would take the matches into their own hands.

Look, progressive thinking is good for Sport. This Sport at the College level has too much stalling. It is obvious- it is an eyesore and it really isnt beneficial to continue plod, block, counter...jmo- not an acceptable presentation.

usually, by rule someone gets DQ'd.

I understand what you are saying- the frequency will become too easy for an official. I cant make that call and I think you are not being fair to the officials by assuming that they would take the matches into their own hands.

Look, progressive thinking is good for Sport. This Sport at the College level has too much stalling. It is obvious- it is an eyesore and it really isnt beneficial to continue plod, block, counter...jmo- not an acceptable presentation.

You do realize that you can't get dq'd for stalling in college?