emk1

Downey (aka PDIII) - Any D-1 colleges interested?

He put together a rather solid performance at US Open for 5th place.  Looking over the WTT, if Cox does not go, then Taylor sits out and waits for winner of mini tournament. He could surprise folks and win the mini tourney (Nickal, Perry and Heflin would be in his way).  Anyway,  rumor a while back was that Downey was hoping to be going to U of Maryland or Rutgers.  Also, does he have 1 or 2 years of eligibility left??

How much eligibility does he have left? I am going to guess that Notre Dame, Nebraska-Kearney, St. Cloud State or Maryville in DII and Grand View, Concordia (Nebraska) and Life could use a guy like him in the room at 197, even if for a year.

How much eligibility does he have left? I am going to guess that Notre Dame, Nebraska-Kearney, St. Cloud State or Maryville in DII and Grand View, Concordia (Nebraska) and Life could use a guy like him in the room at 197, even if for a year.

He has 1 yr left IF he graduates between now and summer is my understanding.

No way he goes to any school unless it's D1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by pish6969

Not interested in an education then?

Obviously you don't understand the situation.

IF he wrestles next year it will ONLY be because he already graduated.

Edited by pish6969

Well I am not exactly sure of all his history of extracurricular activity and I don't know if those days and habits are over. But if he can wrestle one more year I would like to see it. He looked really solid at the Open, and I would like to see a guy with that talent continue, if it's in the cards to do so.

If your a Coach that is trying to build a program no way do you take Downey. The affects it could have on their program is not worth the gamble for one year . It could affect their program negatively in several ways but a main one it could affect is recruiting. No parent wants their 18-19 year old kid around poison. I really hopes he gets himself together in life but I would not take that chance on that kid especially with only one year left. I'm not bringing him in for one year to take someone's spot that could. cause desertion on the team as well. There comes a point in your life where you have to look in the mirror and stop blaming others.

Edited by Truthteller

Obviously you don't understand the situation.

IF he wrestles next year it will ONLY be because he already graduated.

That only applies to D1 programs.

You said he will only consider D1 programs. So I am asking if you're saying he wouldn't be willing to get a scholarship to continue his education, if given the chance, even if it meant that he wasn't competing at the highest level.

Based on what you said, it sounds like wrestling (D1) is his focus and not the education.

Is this not correct?

That only applies to D1 programs.

You said he will only consider D1 programs. So I am asking if you're saying he wouldn't be willing to get a scholarship to continue his education, if given the chance, even if it meant that he wasn't competing at the highest level.

Based on what you said, it sounds like wrestling (D1) is his focus and not the education.

Is this not correct?

I don't think grades have ever been his issue.  I'm sure he was on some kind of "general studies" type degree and can power through a bunch of online bull**** classes to graduate by this summer.  But that said, I can't imagine any D-1 coach being willing to touch him.  I don't even know if a lower level coach would.

He is also very likely to AA, and high. I wouldn't count him out. Some very prestigious coaches have taken a chance on guys who are far worse than PD3 and had it pay off big.

Iowa State took a chance on him and it paid off the first year, but hurt them the second.  That was already his 10th or so chance.  I don't see him getting another one.  Maybe some school would let him walk on but who would give him scholarship money at this point?

I don't think anyone's questioning his talent, but when you have issues off the mat it makes you less appealing to a coach and ISU was his second opportunity at D1 which he blew. even a guy like Cam Tessari who took 4th as a true freshman and isn't half the character PD3 is off the mat didn't get a 3rd chance to wrestle D1

I don't know who, although i can think of several programs who might do it if there was mutual interest. A high probability AA is probably worth a year of scholly money to someone. The baggage hurts, but as I said, there have been kids with more who got signed before. I fully admit to not knowing anything about whether PD3 even has the opportunity to go another year. But IF he does, someone could buy a lot of firepower for one year of tuition, and that has to be tempting. We're talking about a guy who may have slacked off here and there and run his mouth but is otherwise clean. No sex or drug abuse, no fighting, no robbery, etc. He's not a leper. But he might be a national finalist.

I don't know who, although i can think of several programs who might do it if there was mutual interest. A high probability AA is probably worth a year of scholly money to someone. The baggage hurts, but as I said, there have been kids with more who got signed before. I fully admit to not knowing anything about whether PD3 even has the opportunity to go another year. But IF he does, someone could buy a lot of firepower for one year of tuition, and that has to be tempting. We're talking about a guy who may have slacked off here and there and run his mouth but is otherwise clean. No sex or drug abuse, no fighting, no robbery, etc. He's not a leper. But he might be a national finalist.

He reportedly was suspended and eventually kicked off the team at Iowa State for failing multiple drug tests in addition to not showing up to practice for long periods.  And after he got kicked off he posted video of a girl giving him a blowjob and refused to take it down even after she contacted the cops about it. So yeah, he's got sex and drug abuse issues.

Edited by ThatLogSchuteWasCarrying

no fighting, no robbery

I cant tell if this is a sarcastic post or not. A quick google search and you will see he has most of the above covered.

no fighting, no robbery

I cant tell if this is a sarcastic post or not. A quick google search and you will see he has most of the above covered.

I meant no criminal record. If we're going to disqualify kids from D1 for smoking weed, skipping practice, and getting their knobs licked a little, entire rosters would be decimated. I'm not trying to be an apologist. But there is a lot of history of programs taking on kids with far worse problems, some of them criminal.