Photo

Downey (aka PDIII) - Any D-1 colleges interested?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
283 replies to this topic

#1 emk1

emk1
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 06:51 AM

He put together a rather solid performance at US Open for 5th place.  Looking over the WTT, if Cox does not go, then Taylor sits out and waits for winner of mini tournament. He could surprise folks and win the mini tourney (Nickal, Perry and Heflin would be in his way).  Anyway,  rumor a while back was that Downey was hoping to be going to U of Maryland or Rutgers.  Also, does he have 1 or 2 years of eligibility left??

#2 NYWRESTLER94

NYWRESTLER94

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 06:58 AM

The extra curriculars aren't worth the headache my guess is his D1 days are over

#3 Tofurky

Tofurky

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,767 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 07:45 AM

How much eligibility does he have left? I am going to guess that Notre Dame, Nebraska-Kearney, St. Cloud State or Maryville in DII and Grand View, Concordia (Nebraska) and Life could use a guy like him in the room at 197, even if for a year.

#4 pish6969

pish6969

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 606 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 08:27 AM

How much eligibility does he have left? I am going to guess that Notre Dame, Nebraska-Kearney, St. Cloud State or Maryville in DII and Grand View, Concordia (Nebraska) and Life could use a guy like him in the room at 197, even if for a year.

He has 1 yr left IF he graduates between now and summer is my understanding.

No way he goes to any school unless it's D1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by pish6969, 03 May 2017 - 08:28 AM.

#5 Pinnum

Pinnum

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,685 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 08:31 AM

No way he goes to any school unless it's D1

Not interested in an education then?
Twitter: @Pinnum

#6 MinnesotaWrestling

MinnesotaWrestling

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 10:31 AM

I bet he ends up at Maryland.

#7 pish6969

pish6969

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 606 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 11:32 AM

Not interested in an education then?

Obviously you don't understand the situation.

IF he wrestles next year it will ONLY be because he already graduated.

Edited by pish6969, 03 May 2017 - 11:40 AM.

• PD2 likes this

#8 de4856

de4856

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 04:25 PM

Well I am not exactly sure of all his history of extracurricular activity and I don't know if those days and habits are over. But if he can wrestle one more year I would like to see it. He looked really solid at the Open, and I would like to see a guy with that talent continue, if it's in the cards to do so.

#9 Truthteller

Truthteller
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 10:29 PM

If your a Coach that is trying to build a program no way do you take Downey. The affects it could have on their program is not worth the gamble for one year . It could affect their program negatively in several ways but a main one it could affect is recruiting. No parent wants their 18-19 year old kid around poison. I really hopes he gets himself together in life but I would not take that chance on that kid especially with only one year left. I'm not bringing him in for one year to take someone's spot that could. cause desertion on the team as well. There comes a point in your life where you have to look in the mirror and stop blaming others.

Edited by Truthteller, 03 May 2017 - 10:34 PM.

• ThatLogSchuteWasCarrying and Truthteller like this

#10 IronChef

IronChef

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 11:07 PM

No way I take him if I'm a coach. It's not worth it. I look forward to the explanation from the coach that takes him for next year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#11 Plasmodium

Plasmodium

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,285 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 11:11 PM

ASU would be an excellent fit for him.

• gobraves101905 likes this

#12 buf87

buf87

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 507 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 12:08 AM

If he graduates, does he have to get accepted into Grad school or can he just come in and takes some more under grad class?

#13 Pinnum

Pinnum

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,685 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 12:10 AM

Obviously you don't understand the situation.

IF he wrestles next year it will ONLY be because he already graduated.

That only applies to D1 programs.

You said he will only consider D1 programs. So I am asking if you're saying he wouldn't be willing to get a scholarship to continue his education, if given the chance, even if it meant that he wasn't competing at the highest level.

Based on what you said, it sounds like wrestling (D1) is his focus and not the education.

Is this not correct?
Twitter: @Pinnum

#14 ThatLogSchuteWasCarrying

ThatLogSchuteWasCarrying

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 12:27 AM

That only applies to D1 programs.

You said he will only consider D1 programs. So I am asking if you're saying he wouldn't be willing to get a scholarship to continue his education, if given the chance, even if it meant that he wasn't competing at the highest level.

Based on what you said, it sounds like wrestling (D1) is his focus and not the education.

Is this not correct?

I don't think grades have ever been his issue.  I'm sure he was on some kind of "general studies" type degree and can power through a bunch of online bull**** classes to graduate by this summer.  But that said, I can't imagine any D-1 coach being willing to touch him.  I don't even know if a lower level coach would.

#15 rlw028

rlw028

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 568 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 12:36 AM

I bet he ends up at Maryland.

Isn't Mccoy a pretty strict guy? Not sure he would take a chance on Downey.

• KTG119 likes this

#16 buf87

buf87

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 507 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 12:43 AM

He has said that he will only wrestle at D1 schools. he will not go to D2 or NAIA and wrestle

#17 PhiferFuqua

PhiferFuqua

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 01:38 AM

A guy with one year of eligibility left who is more likely to embarrass your school with his Twitter antics than he is to show up at practice ... where do we sign up? 

• Tofurky likes this
"It simply is factual that 149 was one of the weakest divisions we have seen in years ... Let me put it to you this way, do you think ZR could have done well against ... Palmer?"

- cm_111, 4/6/2016

#18 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,365 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 07:05 AM

He is also very likely to AA, and high. I wouldn't count him out. Some very prestigious coaches have taken a chance on guys who are far worse than PD3 and had it pay off big.

#19 ThatLogSchuteWasCarrying

ThatLogSchuteWasCarrying

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 07:07 AM

He is also very likely to AA, and high. I wouldn't count him out. Some very prestigious coaches have taken a chance on guys who are far worse than PD3 and had it pay off big.

Iowa State took a chance on him and it paid off the first year, but hurt them the second.  That was already his 10th or so chance.  I don't see him getting another one.  Maybe some school would let him walk on but who would give him scholarship money at this point?

#20 NYWRESTLER94

NYWRESTLER94

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 07:09 AM

I don't think anyone's questioning his talent, but when you have issues off the mat it makes you less appealing to a coach and ISU was his second opportunity at D1 which he blew. even a guy like Cam Tessari who took 4th as a true freshman and isn't half the character PD3 is off the mat didn't get a 3rd chance to wrestle D1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users