Photo

Downey (aka PDIII) - Any D-1 colleges interested?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
283 replies to this topic

#21 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,691 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 08:16 AM

I don't know who, although i can think of several programs who might do it if there was mutual interest. A high probability AA is probably worth a year of scholly money to someone. The baggage hurts, but as I said, there have been kids with more who got signed before. I fully admit to not knowing anything about whether PD3 even has the opportunity to go another year. But IF he does, someone could buy a lot of firepower for one year of tuition, and that has to be tempting. We're talking about a guy who may have slacked off here and there and run his mouth but is otherwise clean. No sex or drug abuse, no fighting, no robbery, etc. He's not a leper. But he might be a national finalist.

#22 ThatLogSchuteWasCarrying

ThatLogSchuteWasCarrying

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 08:19 AM

I don't know who, although i can think of several programs who might do it if there was mutual interest. A high probability AA is probably worth a year of scholly money to someone. The baggage hurts, but as I said, there have been kids with more who got signed before. I fully admit to not knowing anything about whether PD3 even has the opportunity to go another year. But IF he does, someone could buy a lot of firepower for one year of tuition, and that has to be tempting. We're talking about a guy who may have slacked off here and there and run his mouth but is otherwise clean. No sex or drug abuse, no fighting, no robbery, etc. He's not a leper. But he might be a national finalist.

He reportedly was suspended and eventually kicked off the team at Iowa State for failing multiple drug tests in addition to not showing up to practice for long periods.  And after he got kicked off he posted video of a girl giving him a blowjob and refused to take it down even after she contacted the cops about it. So yeah, he's got sex and drug abuse issues.

Edited by ThatLogSchuteWasCarrying, 04 May 2017 - 08:22 AM.

• NYWRESTLER94 likes this

#23 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,691 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 08:43 AM

I wasn't aware of those indiscretions, but he still has no criminal record I'm aware of. I still maintain that guys with much worse have enrolled at D1 schools and gone on to do very well. I don't want to name names but if you follow the sport, you know this too.

#24 Roadkill

Roadkill

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 741 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 08:51 AM

no fighting, no robbery

I cant tell if this is a sarcastic post or not. A quick google search and you will see he has most of the above covered.

#25 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,691 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 08:56 AM

no fighting, no robbery

I cant tell if this is a sarcastic post or not. A quick google search and you will see he has most of the above covered.

I meant no criminal record. If we're going to disqualify kids from D1 for smoking weed, skipping practice, and getting their knobs licked a little, entire rosters would be decimated. I'm not trying to be an apologist. But there is a lot of history of programs taking on kids with far worse problems, some of them criminal.
  • brickhousey likes this

#26 HawkFanactic1

HawkFanactic1

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 08:58 AM

I wasn't aware of those indiscretions, but he still has no criminal record I'm aware of. I still maintain that guys with much worse have enrolled at D1 schools and gone on to do very well. I don't want to name names but if you follow the sport, you know this too.

He has been to jail on numerous occasions. Assault, robbing his drug dealer, etc. He's an unsavory character but he's a talent. I really don't know many who have been facing 10 years in prison (and he was not found innocent, he instead received a 10 year suspended sentence) and gone on to wrestle D1.

#27 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,691 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 09:01 AM

I obviously didn't know he'd been to jail numerous times, let alone once. I thought his problems were more social media related.

Edited by wrestlingnerd, 04 May 2017 - 09:02 AM.

#28 emk1

emk1
  • Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 09:26 AM

OK.  This is the info from Google search.  1) Nov 2009 - Baltimore City, charged with assault against a Towson University student in the M & T Stadium lot. The other kid lost 4 teeth and suffered a broken jaw.  He pled guilty (CONVICTION) to 2nd degree assault, given 6 days in jail and 10 year suspended sentence. (17 years old but charged in adult court).  2) June 2010 - Baltimore City some Bourbon St. Ballroom nightclub, charged with assault against 1 or 2 Navy Academy students (both were football players?).  One lost a tooth and got a broken jaw.  The Navy kids names are mentioned in article.  3) Sept 2010 - Anne Arundel County MD, charged with 17 counts - robbery, theft, 2nd degree assault - bought marijuana, stole it back and didn't pay, etc....

Wow!!  I have worked law enforcement for over 22 years and would bet the bank..... Many more illegal exploits with this fellow.. but fortunate enough to have not gotten caught.

He was going to go to a junior college in Oregon, then went to U of Nebraska - dismissed, then went to the Iowa junior college - Champion, then went to Iowa State (1 year AA, then dismissed), now my guess is NO Team wants this guy.

• csw60970 likes this

#29 Tofurky

Tofurky

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,061 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 10:13 AM

Someone will gladly use PD3's talent to add an All-American to their coaching resume, if he is eligible. Short term gains/exposure > team culture for some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#30 BobDole

BobDole

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,674 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 11:57 AM

OK. This is the info from Google search. 1) Nov 2009 - Baltimore City, charged with assault against a Towson University student in the M & T Stadium lot. The other kid lost 4 teeth and suffered a broken jaw. He pled guilty (CONVICTION) to 2nd degree assault, given 6 days in jail and 10 year suspended sentence. (17 years old but charged in adult court). 2) June 2010 - Baltimore City some Bourbon St. Ballroom nightclub, charged with assault against 1 or 2 Navy Academy students (both were football players?). One lost a tooth and got a broken jaw. The Navy kids names are mentioned in article. 3) Sept 2010 - Anne Arundel County MD, charged with 17 counts - robbery, theft, 2nd degree assault - bought marijuana, stole it back and didn't pay, etc....
Wow!! I have worked law enforcement for over 22 years and would bet the bank..... Many more illegal exploits with this fellow.. but fortunate enough to have not gotten caught.
He was going to go to a junior college in Oregon, then went to U of Nebraska - dismissed, then went to the Iowa junior college - Champion, then went to Iowa State (1 year AA, then dismissed), now my guess is NO Team wants this guy.

Just a couple youthful indiscretions.

#31 PhiferFuqua

PhiferFuqua

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 12:39 PM

OK. This is the info from Google search. 1) Nov 2009 - Baltimore City, charged with assault against a Towson University student in the M & T Stadium lot. The other kid lost 4 teeth and suffered a broken jaw. He pled guilty (CONVICTION) to 2nd degree assault, given 6 days in jail and 10 year suspended sentence. (17 years old but charged in adult court). 2) June 2010 - Baltimore City some Bourbon St. Ballroom nightclub, charged with assault against 1 or 2 Navy Academy students (both were football players?). One lost a tooth and got a broken jaw. The Navy kids names are mentioned in article. 3) Sept 2010 - Anne Arundel County MD, charged with 17 counts - robbery, theft, 2nd degree assault - bought marijuana, stole it back and didn't pay, etc....
Wow!! I have worked law enforcement for over 22 years and would bet the bank..... Many more illegal exploits with this fellow.. but fortunate enough to have not gotten caught.

He went to Mount St. Joseph, Loch Raven, North County, and Oviedo high schools, with a few breaks for homeschooling. Then Clackamas County College, then Nebraska, then Iowa Central, then Iowa State.

Could there still be a coach out there who believes the PD3 story would have a different ending at his school?
"It simply is factual that 149 was one of the weakest divisions we have seen in years ... Let me put it to you this way, do you think ZR could have done well against Lance Palmer?"

- cm_111, 4/6/2016

#32 Plasmodium

Plasmodium

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 12:39 PM

Just a couple youthful indiscretions.

Tell me you haven't knocked the teeth out of your drug dealer a time or two and I'll call you a liar!
  • HurricaneWrestling, LoStNuMbEr, Tofurky and 9 others like this

#33 csteve

csteve
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 03:52 PM

Iowa State took a chance on him and it paid off the first year, but hurt them the second.  That was already his 10th or so chance.  I don't see him getting another one.  Maybe some school would let him walk on but who would give him scholarship money at this point?

Not sure it paid off. Kept a young Harrington out of the lineup where he could have gained a little more experience. More importantly, he was a cancer and a horrible role model. The culture he was a part of at ISU was extremely bad. Not the type of culture a coach, administration, or fans could be proud of. So glad he is gone and no longer a headache for ISU. If a school would take a chance, they would have to be desperate. It would not be worth it!

#34 Joe24

Joe24

Silver Member

• Banned
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 05:14 PM

He put together a rather solid performance at US Open for 5th place.  Looking over the WTT, if Cox does not go, then Taylor sits out and waits for winner of mini tournament. He could surprise folks and win the mini tourney (Nickal, Perry and Heflin would be in his way).  Anyway,  rumor a while back was that Downey was hoping to be going to U of Maryland or Rutgers.  Also, does he have 1 or 2 years of eligibility left??

Why would any college want the baggage?  I mean, perhaps if he wrestled, some. 

#35 ThatLogSchuteWasCarrying

ThatLogSchuteWasCarrying

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 01:08 AM

I obviously didn't know he'd been to jail numerous times, let alone once. I thought his problems were more social media related.

I think the point that people are making is that Iowa State was already his "desperate coach is willing to go out on a limb in the hopes that Downey can keep it together" chance.  And he blew that. 

• xander likes this

#36 jstock

jstock

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 01:21 AM

He should just go the MMA route, maybe train with Bones Jones

#37 LoStNuMbEr

LoStNuMbEr

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,142 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 02:56 AM

He should just go the MMA route, maybe train with Bones Jones

I agree. Its important to surround yourself with quality rolemodels
  • HurricaneWrestling, xander, Coach_J and 1 other like this

#38 ThatLogSchuteWasCarrying

ThatLogSchuteWasCarrying

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 03:22 AM

I'm not sure why he doesn't go MMA.  His issues are 99% an inability to be part of a team and be accountable to someone else.  He's talented and he's willing to work hard.  If he goes MMA then he's the one paying his coaches, workout partners, etc and his issues aren't issues anymore since the only person he's accountable is himself. 

• xander and buf87 like this

#39 rhino184

rhino184

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 04:51 AM

I think he'd be excellent at MMA and for the MMA community, but I think a part of us should want him to keep competing. With all the baggage, he's still incredibly talented and makes our competitions/teams better. 

#40 Joe24

Joe24

Silver Member

• Banned
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 12:13 PM

OK.  This is the info from Google search.  1) Nov 2009 - Baltimore City, charged with assault against a Towson University student in the M & T Stadium lot. The other kid lost 4 teeth and suffered a broken jaw.  He pled guilty (CONVICTION) to 2nd degree assault, given 6 days in jail and 10 year suspended sentence. (17 years old but charged in adult court).  2) June 2010 - Baltimore City some Bourbon St. Ballroom nightclub, charged with assault against 1 or 2 Navy Academy students (both were football players?).  One lost a tooth and got a broken jaw.  The Navy kids names are mentioned in article.  3) Sept 2010 - Anne Arundel County MD, charged with 17 counts - robbery, theft, 2nd degree assault - bought marijuana, stole it back and didn't pay, etc....

Wow!!  I have worked law enforcement for over 22 years and would bet the bank..... Many more illegal exploits with this fellow.. but fortunate enough to have not gotten caught.

I guess the proverbial if everyone says the same thing--that it's you, then it's YOU! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users