emk1

Downey (aka PDIII) - Any D-1 colleges interested?

I wasn't aware of those indiscretions, but he still has no criminal record I'm aware of. I still maintain that guys with much worse have enrolled at D1 schools and gone on to do very well. I don't want to name names but if you follow the sport, you know this too.

He has been to jail on numerous occasions. Assault, robbing his drug dealer, etc. He's an unsavory character but he's a talent. I really don't know many who have been facing 10 years in prison (and he was not found innocent, he instead received a 10 year suspended sentence) and gone on to wrestle D1.

OK.  This is the info from Google search.  1) Nov 2009 - Baltimore City, charged with assault against a Towson University student in the M & T Stadium lot. The other kid lost 4 teeth and suffered a broken jaw.  He pled guilty (CONVICTION) to 2nd degree assault, given 6 days in jail and 10 year suspended sentence. (17 years old but charged in adult court).  2) June 2010 - Baltimore City some Bourbon St. Ballroom nightclub, charged with assault against 1 or 2 Navy Academy students (both were football players?).  One lost a tooth and got a broken jaw.  The Navy kids names are mentioned in article.  3) Sept 2010 - Anne Arundel County MD, charged with 17 counts - robbery, theft, 2nd degree assault - bought marijuana, stole it back and didn't pay, etc....

Wow!!  I have worked law enforcement for over 22 years and would bet the bank..... Many more illegal exploits with this fellow.. but fortunate enough to have not gotten caught.

He was going to go to a junior college in Oregon, then went to U of Nebraska - dismissed, then went to the Iowa junior college - Champion, then went to Iowa State (1 year AA, then dismissed), now my guess is NO Team wants this guy.

Someone will gladly use PD3's talent to add an All-American to their coaching resume, if he is eligible. Short term gains/exposure > team culture for some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK. This is the info from Google search. 1) Nov 2009 - Baltimore City, charged with assault against a Towson University student in the M & T Stadium lot. The other kid lost 4 teeth and suffered a broken jaw. He pled guilty (CONVICTION) to 2nd degree assault, given 6 days in jail and 10 year suspended sentence. (17 years old but charged in adult court). 2) June 2010 - Baltimore City some Bourbon St. Ballroom nightclub, charged with assault against 1 or 2 Navy Academy students (both were football players?). One lost a tooth and got a broken jaw. The Navy kids names are mentioned in article. 3) Sept 2010 - Anne Arundel County MD, charged with 17 counts - robbery, theft, 2nd degree assault - bought marijuana, stole it back and didn't pay, etc....

Wow!! I have worked law enforcement for over 22 years and would bet the bank..... Many more illegal exploits with this fellow.. but fortunate enough to have not gotten caught.

He was going to go to a junior college in Oregon, then went to U of Nebraska - dismissed, then went to the Iowa junior college - Champion, then went to Iowa State (1 year AA, then dismissed), now my guess is NO Team wants this guy.

Just a couple youthful indiscretions.

OK. This is the info from Google search. 1) Nov 2009 - Baltimore City, charged with assault against a Towson University student in the M & T Stadium lot. The other kid lost 4 teeth and suffered a broken jaw. He pled guilty (CONVICTION) to 2nd degree assault, given 6 days in jail and 10 year suspended sentence. (17 years old but charged in adult court). 2) June 2010 - Baltimore City some Bourbon St. Ballroom nightclub, charged with assault against 1 or 2 Navy Academy students (both were football players?). One lost a tooth and got a broken jaw. The Navy kids names are mentioned in article. 3) Sept 2010 - Anne Arundel County MD, charged with 17 counts - robbery, theft, 2nd degree assault - bought marijuana, stole it back and didn't pay, etc....

Wow!! I have worked law enforcement for over 22 years and would bet the bank..... Many more illegal exploits with this fellow.. but fortunate enough to have not gotten caught.

He went to Mount St. Joseph, Loch Raven, North County, and Oviedo high schools, with a few breaks for homeschooling. Then Clackamas County College, then Nebraska, then Iowa Central, then Iowa State.

Could there still be a coach out there who believes the PD3 story would have a different ending at his school?

Iowa State took a chance on him and it paid off the first year, but hurt them the second.  That was already his 10th or so chance.  I don't see him getting another one.  Maybe some school would let him walk on but who would give him scholarship money at this point?

Not sure it paid off. Kept a young Harrington out of the lineup where he could have gained a little more experience. More importantly, he was a cancer and a horrible role model. The culture he was a part of at ISU was extremely bad. Not the type of culture a coach, administration, or fans could be proud of. So glad he is gone and no longer a headache for ISU. If a school would take a chance, they would have to be desperate. It would not be worth it!

He put together a rather solid performance at US Open for 5th place.  Looking over the WTT, if Cox does not go, then Taylor sits out and waits for winner of mini tournament. He could surprise folks and win the mini tourney (Nickal, Perry and Heflin would be in his way).  Anyway,  rumor a while back was that Downey was hoping to be going to U of Maryland or Rutgers.  Also, does he have 1 or 2 years of eligibility left??

Why would any college want the baggage?  I mean, perhaps if he wrestled, some. 

I obviously didn't know he'd been to jail numerous times, let alone once. I thought his problems were more social media related.

I think the point that people are making is that Iowa State was already his "desperate coach is willing to go out on a limb in the hopes that Downey can keep it together" chance.  And he blew that. 

I'm not sure why he doesn't go MMA.  His issues are 99% an inability to be part of a team and be accountable to someone else.  He's talented and he's willing to work hard.  If he goes MMA then he's the one paying his coaches, workout partners, etc and his issues aren't issues anymore since the only person he's accountable is himself. 

I think he'd be excellent at MMA and for the MMA community, but I think a part of us should want him to keep competing. With all the baggage, he's still incredibly talented and makes our competitions/teams better. 

OK.  This is the info from Google search.  1) Nov 2009 - Baltimore City, charged with assault against a Towson University student in the M & T Stadium lot. The other kid lost 4 teeth and suffered a broken jaw.  He pled guilty (CONVICTION) to 2nd degree assault, given 6 days in jail and 10 year suspended sentence. (17 years old but charged in adult court).  2) June 2010 - Baltimore City some Bourbon St. Ballroom nightclub, charged with assault against 1 or 2 Navy Academy students (both were football players?).  One lost a tooth and got a broken jaw.  The Navy kids names are mentioned in article.  3) Sept 2010 - Anne Arundel County MD, charged with 17 counts - robbery, theft, 2nd degree assault - bought marijuana, stole it back and didn't pay, etc....

Wow!!  I have worked law enforcement for over 22 years and would bet the bank..... Many more illegal exploits with this fellow.. but fortunate enough to have not gotten caught.

I guess the proverbial if everyone says the same thing--that it's you, then it's YOU! 

I hear Lou Rosselli is a forgiving sort of fellow.....I'm sure OU could squeeze Downey into the lineup, with the proviso that if he makes 1 mistake...he's gone and his college career is over. That puts it on Downey and would show Rosselli is willing to give kids a second chance. Would help with getting transfers from troubled, yet talented, wrestlers in the future. OU could be Thug U!!

Is there an accurate timeline of what happened at the end with ISU? Seemed very strange how it all went down, in no particular order; Kevin Jackson being let go, did not want to finish the season, new coach being named and Downey dismissed. 

I get the feeling that if Jackson was not let go, Downey would have wrestled in the NCAA tournament.

Any reliable insight here?

I hear Lou Rosselli is a forgiving sort of fellow.....I'm sure OU could squeeze Downey into the lineup, with the proviso that if he makes 1 mistake...he's gone and his college career is over. That puts it on Downey and would show Rosselli is willing to give kids a second chance. Would help with getting transfers from troubled, yet talented, wrestlers in the future. OU could be Thug U!!

he would fit in well with the football team at least...

He's a young kid who made a couple of mistakes. It's pathetic that a bunch of grown adults are piling on the kid on a message board.  I wish Patrick the best of luck in his career, and will root for him next year.

Edited by 21guns

He's a young kid who made a couple of mistakes.  He didn't commit any crime and he didn't hurt anyone.  It's pathetic that a bunch of grown adults are piling on the kid on a message board.  I wish Patrick the best of luck in his career, and will root for him next year.

He's 24-years-old, soon to be 25. He may be young to many of us here, but he certainly is not a kid.

He's a young kid who made a couple of mistakes. He didn't commit any crime and he didn't hurt anyone. It's pathetic that a bunch of grown adults are piling on the kid on a message board. I wish Patrick the best of luck in his career, and will root for him next year.

Minus a few broken jaws, knocked out teeth, concussions, etc haha good one

He's a young kid who made a couple of mistakes.  He didn't commit any crime and he didn't hurt anyone.  It's pathetic that a bunch of grown adults are piling on the kid on a message board.  I wish Patrick the best of luck in his career, and will root for him next year.

You serious?  check page 2 of this thread

Edited by EasternIowaWrestling

He's a young kid who made a couple of mistakes. It's pathetic that a bunch of grown adults are piling on the kid on a message board.  I wish Patrick the best of luck in his career, and will root for him next year.

He's made more than a couple, and he and his dad continue to be tools.  When nearly everyone is saying it's you, then time to look into the mirror. 

Its one thing to make mistakes due to being young.

Its another to continue to make those mistakes repeatedly while receiving guidance to change your ways and still deliberately not changing and fixing those mistakes.

These are no longer mistakes. They're a pattern and will continue.