BigTenFanboy

Freestyle Wrestlers who Learned to Folkstyle

What style transfers better?

Freestyle to Folkstyle

or

Folkstyle to Freestyle

Free to AmFolk; you can see in this thread alone the number of kids who were excelling in Free in another country who come over and experience a great deal of success once they arrive. For American Folk to Free, look at the US National Team for those results.

Great article and awesome to see someone is giving him a chance to contribute.  Alberto Rodriquez won two bronze medals at worlds and defeated the likes of Kenny Monday and Dave Schultz; he defected at the '96 Olympics and become an assistant for me and we remain friends to this day.  He and Reinoso seem cut from the same mold--technical expertise above all else.  Thanks for sharing.

Wrestler A typically would beat Wrestler B in Freestyle.

Wrestler B typically would beat Wrestler A in Folkstyle. 

As the senior level guys become further removed from there college days, it gets harder to determine whether new results come down to style, or just improvement over time.  That said, I think the easiest place to compare results would be University Nationals.  

One recent example is Ian Miller absolutely torching the field in 2014.  If memory serves correctly, he either teched or pinned everyone in the field, including back-to-back pins over Caldwell in the final.  

As the senior level guys become further removed from there college days, it gets harder to determine whether new results come down to style, or just improvement over time. That said, I think the easiest place to compare results would be University Nationals.

One recent example is Ian Miller absolutely torching the field in 2014. If memory serves correctly, he either teched or pinned everyone in the field, including back-to-back pins over Caldwell in the final.

Is ian Miller done competing all together?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Why wouldn't that be the case? What other country wrestles (our version of) folkstyle at any time in their careers other than the few that come here for college?

You're right, but I hate speaking in absolutes because someone will come along and counter that statement is an individual instance that went the other way...

Free to AmFolk; you can see in this thread alone the number of kids who were excelling in Free in another country who come over and experience a great deal of success once they arrive. For American Folk to Free, look at the US National Team for those results.

I don't think this is a fair argument. In America an average wrestler will try freestyle. The chances of a foreigner trying folk after doing freestyle is much smaller, and typically would be an elite level freestyler.

I don't think this is a fair argument. In America an average wrestler will try freestyle. The chances of a foreigner trying folk after doing freestyle is much smaller, and typically would be an elite level freestyler.

You can easily make the argument work by focusing on elite level American Folkstylers who venture down the Freestyle route. Freestyle guys who are semi-elite on Senior level terms are coming here and having more frequent success at the American version of wrestling than the frequency of elite level AmFolkers are having in elite-levels of Freestyle.

You can easily make the argument work by focusing on elite level American Folkstylers who venture down the Freestyle route. Freestyle guys who are semi-elite on Senior level terms are coming here and having more frequent success at the American version of wrestling than the frequency of elite level AmFolkers are having in elite-levels of Freestyle.

Am Freestylers only compete against semi-elite to elite level Foreign Freestylers.

Semi-elite freestylers that learn folk get to compete against the full range of Folkstylers from low level to Elite, thus get to show more "success".

With your logic I could easily make the Argument that the only "elite level" American folkstylers who venture down Freestyle is Logan Steiber, Jordan Burroughs and Kyle Snyder and anyone else is not truly elite level. Using them as examples I can say that American Folk produces better freestylers than life long freestylers.

Elite level Folkstylers from the US tend to do pretty well against Foreign freestylers which is why we consistently have medalists every year in world competition. As Americans we tend to believe that unless we're constantly World Champions, we're no good.

The fairest way to do make an assumption that is not speculative is have a list of instances where American and Foreign wrestlers faced each other in both styles, and see how the results compare from one to another.

Edited by BigTenFanboy