Sign in to follow this  
hammerlockthree

Cox/Taylor Who Ya Got

Tough Choice. 

Taylor looks super good obviously, but Cox is kinda like Dake, better at winning than wrestling. 

I'm taking Taylor, based on the idea that Taylor is significantly better than Cox, but if he is just marginally better he isn't gonna beat him. 

Assuming they wrestle.*

Edited by hammerlockthree

DT... That said, I always picked against Cox in freestyle and was wrong every time: thought he wouldn't be our Olympic rep, thought he wouldn't qualify the weight, thought he wouldn't medal, wrong, wrong, wrong. If he beats DT best 2 of 3, I'm never picking against him again.

Tough Choice. 

Taylor looks super good obviously, but Cox is kinda like Dake, better at winning than wrestling. 

I'm taking Taylor, based on the idea that Taylor is significantly better than Cox, but if he is just marginally better he isn't gonna beat him. 

Assuming they wrestle.*

I gotta say Cox.  Cox will be bigger and stronger, and he knows how to win.  Taylor has elevated his wrestling, but when Cox slows things down I think he will win close ones.  I like both, but will be rooting for Taylor.  I truly think it is amazing we are having this conversation if you look at the two 2.4.6.8 years ago.  All things being equal I think DT is the better wrestler, but Cox is just a naturally bigger guy, and this will prove the difference. 

Are we sure that Cox is still going to even play football? If he is assuming the position of volunteer coach, can he even play? It's possible at the time that he had not thought about taking on a coaching position. Plus he is what, 22? 23 at best? It is very possible he is no longer considering football.

I have to go with Cox in the, but I also think Taylor is the one guy who could beat him. Before the Olympics I thought had he wrestled Taylor he may not have been our rep. Cox is very susceptible to ankle picks, a strength of Taylor's. If you go back to his only 3 losses since his sophomore year, 1 is for the slam into the tables, and the other 2 were from getting taken down with an ankle pick. Taylor isn't the best matchup style wise. With that said, I don't know that he will get picked in two matches. I have it 2-1 in the best if 3. (Cox). Taylor will not surprise me at all though.

Tough Choice.

Assuming they wrestle.*

I agree with your assessment of Cox and Taylor but I don't think anyone is significantly better than an Olympic bronze medalist... with maybe the exception being Sadulaev. I pick Cox.

I think the only way Taylor wins is if we get a watered down, unmotivated Cox... which is possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cox two straight. 

All the Hype around DT stems from the fact that he beat Yazdani, won the US Open and looks HUUUUGE.

1) Yazdani is a great wrestler, but was clearly struggling with adjusting to the weight- something that DT has openly talked about going through himself. 

2) 86kg was a relatively weak field at the US Open. What high level guys did Taylor have to beat?

3) Everyone in this weight is HUUUUUGE.

It is funny but I guess only natural that when we see a guy finally turn the corner we love to poke holes and make excuses on why it happened.

I will take the guy who is absolutely committed to what he wants to accomplish.

The most common criticism of Cox has been that he isn't committed, because he just recently chose his path, but I think this is a huge misunderstanding of who Cox is and his strengths. The guy wasn't going to decide unless he knew he was ready to commit 100%. His relaxed attitude towards the whole situation, and refusal to invent BS pressure for himself is why he is good, and rare competitor. 

If they are tied, or say Taylor is up by one with a minute left, would anyone pick Taylor? I'm picking him because I think he'll be up by 3. 

His relaxed attitude towards the whole situation, and refusal to invent BS pressure for himself is why he is good, and rare competitor.

And you accuse others of psychobabble? Laughable.

Cox is good because he's extremely athletic, massive for the weight, has impeccable fundamental technique, and a winning mindset. Not just because he's relaxed.