Sign in to follow this  
Threadkilla

Why is the Zapruder film in 62 better than NCAA/Olympic footage 10 yrs later?

Question - What are the two difference's between ABC's Gable Olympic match and 1972 and Flowrestling's Oklahoma State/Penn State match in 2017?

1. Gable's match was free to watch.

2. The video of Gable's match didn't crash.

Gable's match was also broadcast via tape delay, while Flo is streaming live.

There is better amateur footage of Kennedy getting capped in 1962 than Gable in the Olympics in 72.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngxZVmtKCCo

The 60's wrestling footage is like 1920 silent movies.

If you've got amateur footage of Kennedy getting capped in 1962, then the conspiracy theorists are justified in their beliefs about the assassination in November, 1963.

Edited by lu_alum

I'm pretty sure everyone knows that about the broadcast delay back then. But, it was transmitted electronically and flawlessly via satellite, 45 years ago.

I like what Flo has done on covering events, but their inability to prevent huge crashes to paying customers after all of these years is hard to comprehend.

There is better amateur footage of Kennedy getting capped in 1962 than Gable in the Olympics in 72.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngxZVmtKCCo

The 60's wrestling footage is like 1920 silent movies.  

Pretty sure the video that you posted is a cam video of DG (someone recording a TV broadcast), so right there it's a loss of one generation of quality. Also, regarding Kennedy, this a high-quality render of the Zapruder film, and it's not that great, so not sure what your point is besides just trolling. 

Next topic?

Pretty sure the video that you posted is a cam video of DG (someone recording a TV broadcast), so right there it's a loss of one generation of quality. 

I think Tony is right.  If you go to the 2:00 minute mark in the below video you can see the ending of the match.  Unlike the video posted, it's quality is much better - and its in color.  However, you can tell by the announcing that they're both from the same source.  I wouldn't be surprised if there's even a  better version available in ABC's vaults.

Film (if stored properly) has a much longer "shelf life" than magnetic video tape but mag tape is  MUCH cheaper so TV networks jumped at the savings. Unfortunately the quality of subsequent rebroadcasts went down the tubes; that's the nature of the beast. Sure it was cheaper and easier but they were short sighted in the public's desire to replay these old sports (or other broadcasts) 30+ years later. Several TV shows fell victim to the same mindset. Digital processing can help but it's expensive and time consuming.   

Pretty sure the video that you posted is a cam video of DG (someone recording a TV broadcast), so right there it's a loss of one generation of quality. Also, regarding Kennedy, this a high-quality render of the Zapruder film, and it's not that great, so not sure what your point is besides just trolling. 

Next topic?

I apologize Mr. Rotundo.   My question was about the quality of the video a random guy took of the Presidential assassination in 1963 and compared it to video I found via google of an Olympic Wrestling Match 10 years later.   I have searched several matches from the past, including a Gray Simons NCAA Final, that looks like a 1920's silent film.    If it was a film of a film, I didn't notice, because I'm not some genius photographer and editor like Tony Rotundo.  I had no Idea that famous wrestling photographer Tony Rotundo would be so upset by my post where I was asking the question about quality of video that he would resort to name calling.  It appears you are overcompensating which based on your post, I imagine happens a lot.  Do you drive a sports car by chance?  Lifted Truck?    

Edited by Threadkilla

If you've got amateur footage of Kennedy getting capped in 1962, then the conspiracy theorists are justified in their beliefs about the assassination in November, 1963.

That wasn't long after the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.

Better to ask why the US Government did not pay the market rates for the video to the individual who owned it. They cheated him big time.

In 1963 after the assassination, Life magazine paid Zapruder $150k for the film. That is $1.2 million dollars in today's market. In 1999 after arbitration, Zapruder's heirs were awarded $16 million from the US government. They have been made whole.

In 1963 after the assassination, Life magazine paid Zapruder $150k for the film. That is $1.2 million dollars in today's market. In 1999 after arbitration, Zapruder's heirs were awarded $16 million from the US government. They have been made whole.

Nope, the market value is and was way higher. This is like having Government "value" your home.

Nope, the market value is and was way higher. This is like having Government "value" your home.

The family was satisfied with the $16 million award, which was for the original film. They have have had the reproduction rights to the film since 1975 when Time sold it back to them for $1. They have been made whole.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/1999/08/04/us/zapruder-heirs-get-16-million-for-dallas-film.html