Sign in to follow this  
TBar1977

Penn State Will Break Every NCAA Wrestling Record, David Taylor Says

Interesting Take from David Taylor who was at Young Guns Clinic yesterday. 

“I really believe that next year’s team will break every NCAA record there’s every been – champs, points scored, everything,” Taylor said during a visit to Pitt-Johnstown over the weekend. “You list it, I believe they have the ability to break it. I think that’s really exciting for the Penn State faithful. Not exciting for the people that don’t like Penn State. I feel sorry for them, but moving forward, it’s a really good time to be around the program.”

http://www.tribdem.com/sports/penn-state-will-break-every-ncaa-wrestling-record-david-taylor/article_828ea9b6-339f-11e7-bffb-f34fd62a2a25.html

Edited by TBar1977

I don't think they get more than 5 champs next year, but is it certainly possible.

If all 5 repeat and Suriano wins as well, they could very well do it.

I think Hall and Vincenzo are the least likely to repeat, but they certainly can. I think each has a few guys who could beat them.

The supporting cast should be stronger this upcoming season than it was this past season so even if one of the 5 champs falters, I still think they'll score more points this season than last. They got nothing out of 25 and 33. Nevills should place in the same realm, if not higher. Cutch will place higher with another season to bulk and 97 being gutted. 41...who knows. 

I have learned to not doubt a Sanderson coached PSU squad, but man do they not have much room for improvement other than 125.  They scored 146.5 and had FIVE Champs!

Retherford, Nolf and Nickal scored 82.5.  That will be ridiculously hard to duplicate, let alone surpass.

Joseph and Hall had incredible tournaments, but they will need to make a significant leap this season to not still be in the could win it all, but could take 5th range.  Also, if the rumors are true that they are switching weights, I am not sure their chances to win don't actually go down.  Hall would still have IMar and Massa to go through(which I think is better than Jordan and Valencia) and Joseph would probably be a bit undersized at 174.

Nevills has Coon replacing Medberry, so moving up will be difficult.

133 and 141=?

Cutch could still squeeze them out a few more points, but he may be the most boring DI wrestler to watch since 174 had the Evans, Storley, Brown, Kokesh and Wilps.

125-Suriano is definitely 15-25 plus points if healthy.

PSU should still win it all comfortably, but man it is hard to see them scoring much more than what they did last year.

I see 150 as likely, which is definitely an amazing number.  But, beating 158 would essentially take their whole team maxing out again. 6 Champs may even be harder.

There is no doubt they have an incredible team and look to be run away favorites.  I guess we see just how good they are if people actually expect them to break the record!

Edited by MSU158

I see 150 as likely, which is definitely an amazing number.  But, beating 158 would essentially take their whole team maxing out again. 6 Champs may even be harder.

Didn't Iowa score 170 one year?  By my estimation, which I think is being fairly realistic, they only need about 5 to 10 points between 133, 141, and 197 to beat 158.  Seems very unlikely that they don't get at least that many.  

They need 5 champs again to approach 170+ (Retherford, Nolf, Nickal, plus 2 among their other 3 contenders), or 4 champs and some extra points out of their 3 weaker weights.  My guess is 167 points. 

Didn't Iowa score 170 one year?  By my estimation, which I think is being fairly realistic, they only need about 5 to 10 points between 133, 141, and 197 to beat 158.  Seems very unlikely that they don't get at least that many.  

They need 5 champs again to approach 170+ (Retherford, Nolf, Nickal, plus 2 among their other 3 contenders), or 4 champs and some extra points out of their 3 weaker weights.  My guess is 167 points. 

Iowa scored 170 in 1997. 5 champs, 1 2nd, 1 5th, 1 6th and other 2 guys were round of 12. 

Man, I basically did the math for you.  It's not so much what they get from 133,141 and 197.  All 5 champs honestly have no where to go but down.  That isn't a knock, they just simply scored basically as much as they possibly could.

Retherford 28, Nickal 27.5, Nolf 27, Joseph 23 and Hall 22.5.  That is 128 points out of a possible 150(without a pigtail).  Nevills scored 10 and McCutcheon scored 4.  That puts them at 142.

To get 167 you would need all of them to hold serve and Suriano score 20 and them get another 5pts(which is basically 2 more R12's) from 1st year unheralded starters at 133 and 141.

It's not that they aren't ridiculously good.  They are.  It is just ridiculously hard to score that many points.

Essentially they would need 6 champs a 5th and 3 R12's to score what you predicted.  I guess they are capable of doing it, but that leaves next to no margin for error.

Iowa scored 170 in 1997. 5 champs, 1 2nd, 1 5th, 1 6th and other 2 guys were round of 12. 

I missed that and took their '86 team scoring 158.  Beating 170........I am not sure if that is harder or getting the 6 Champs  they would likely need to outscore 170!

Essentially they would need 6 champs a 5th and 3 R12's to score what you predicted.  I guess they are capable of doing it, but that leaves next to no margin for error.

I disagree.  5 finalists, 4 champs, and a low AA at 141 and 197 can get you there.  These are my assumptions:

Weight Points

125 - 18.5

133 - 3

141 - 6.5

149 - 27.5

157 - 27.5

165 - 16.5

174 - 23.5

184 - 26.5

197 - 7.5

285 - 10

Total - 167

Edited by steamboat_charlie

I missed that and took their '86 team scoring 158.  Beating 170........I am not sure if that is harder or getting the 6 Champs  they would likely need to outscore 170!

FWIW, Iowa's 170 points in 1997 would have been 172 points with the 2017 scoring rules (no pigtail bye points, but higher placement points).

I disagree.  5 finalists, 4 champs, and a low AA at 141 and 197 can get you there.  These are my assumptions:

Weight Points

125 - 18.5

133 - 3

141 - 6.5

149 - 27.5

157 - 27.5

165 - 16.5

174 - 23.5

184 - 26.5

197 - 7.5

285 - 10

Total - 167

Who is going to AA at 141 when Gulibon couldn't?

Wait a second... there are rumors that Vincenzo and Hall are switching? 

Really?

If that's the case, I see total point production dropping at 174, but increasing at 165.

A "full sized" Hall at 165 will be an absolute monster (just like he is at 74kg FS).  It will be the IMAR/Hall matchup of the century.  Hall has already dispatched Massa (while still in HS, as a rising Junior).  And... Hall is Mark "Freaking" Hall.  Interesting to say the least...

Interesting Take from David Taylor who was at Young Guns Clinic yesterday.

“I really believe that next year’s team will break every NCAA record there’s every been – champs, points scored, everything,” Taylor said during a visit to Pitt-Johnstown over the weekend. “You list it, I believe they have the ability to break it. I think that’s really exciting for the Penn State faithful. Not exciting for the people that don’t like Penn State. I feel sorry for them, but moving forward, it’s a really good time to be around the program.”

http://www.tribdem.com/sports/penn-state-will-break-every-ncaa-wrestling-record-david-taylor/article_828ea9b6-339f-11e7-bffb-f34fd62a2a25.html

Does Taylor think Penn State can win the Big Ten Tournament next year?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Personally i think for them to have a shot at the record, they need 5 champs minimum. That being said I'd be happy with 100 points as long as no other team has more than 99.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by pish6969

I don't think they get more than 5 champs next year, but is it certainly possible.

If all 5 repeat and Suriano wins as well, they could very well do it.

I think Hall and Vincenzo are the least likely to repeat, but they certainly can. I think each has a few guys who could beat them.

If all 5 repeat... (5)

and Surriano wins it (1)

5 + 1 = 6 "they could very well do it"

If the above happens, what is the scenario where they do not do it?   

I have learned to not doubt a Sanderson coached PSU squad, but man do they not have much room for improvement other than 125.  They scored 146.5 and had FIVE Champs!

Retherford, Nolf and Nickal scored 82.5.  That will be ridiculously hard to duplicate, let alone surpass.

Joseph and Hall had incredible tournaments, but they will need to make a significant leap this season to not still be in the could win it all, but could take 5th range.  Also, if the rumors are true that they are switching weights, I am not sure their chances to win don't actually go down.  Hall would still have IMar and Massa to go through(which I think is better than Jordan and Valencia) and Joseph would probably be a bit undersized at 174.

Nevills has Coon replacing Medberry, so moving up will be difficult.

133 and 141=?

Cutch could still squeeze them out a few more points, but he may be the most boring DI wrestler to watch since 174 had the Evans, Storley, Brown, Kokesh and Wilps.

125-Suriano is definitely 15-25 plus points if healthy.

PSU should still win it all comfortably, but man it is hard to see them scoring much more than what they did last year.

There is no doubt they have an incredible team and look to be run away favorites.  I guess we see just how good they are if people actually expect them to break the record!

You really don't have much to do. Sad.