• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Pinnum

Pinnum

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 07:03 AM

I was expecting to hear that Moore would be promoted to Head Coach after Lausier accepted the Davidson job.

Moore has instead accepted a job at Cal Baptist who is starting their transition to Division-I.

http://intermatwrest.../articles/18196

This leaves the Sacred Heart program without any coaches, correct?
Twitter: @Pinnum

#2 NYWRESTLER94

NYWRESTLER94

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 08:20 AM

They only had 2 coaches on staff????

#3 Pinnum

Pinnum

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 08:24 AM

They only had 2 coaches on staff????

Up until just a few years ago, they only had a part-time head coach...

#4 IronChef

IronChef

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 12:14 PM

Moore leaving and the job not being posted yet are not great signs for the survival of that program.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#5 gutfirst

gutfirst

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,570 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 12:46 PM

They were doing great with Seras. Can't believe it's been 10 years. What a drop off.

#6 SetonHallPirate

SetonHallPirate

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 10,505 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 01:19 PM

They were doing great with Seras. Can't believe it's been 10 years. What a drop off.

Amazing to think that Payam Zarrinpour is Sacred Heart's last national qualifier.

Friday-Saturday, December 1-2: Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invitational, Las Vegas, NV

Building a better Pirate...construction in process.

Editor-in-Chief, WrestlingByPirate

Website/Blog: http://wrestlingbypirate.wordpress.com

Twitter: @wrestlingbypir8

#7 gowrestle

gowrestle

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 09:57 PM

Is Sacred Heart the only remaining Catholic college with a Division 1 wrestling program?

#8 IronChef

IronChef

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 12:34 AM

Some historical perspective might be required, but has there ever been a worse DI head coach than Casey Brewster?

#9 SetonHallPirate

SetonHallPirate

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 10,505 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 02:08 AM

Is Sacred Heart the only remaining Catholic college with a Division 1 wrestling program?

Yes.

#10 Tofurky

Tofurky

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 12:19 PM

I have to wonder if Mark Cody makes a pitch to their AD, citing what he was able to do at American U. with much less than full funding. I'd like to see him get another shot and turn around another program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • gutfirst and grappler6 like this

#11 Buckxell

Buckxell

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 09:47 PM

I was expecting to hear that Moore would be promoted to Head Coach after Lausier accepted the Davidson job.

Moore has instead accepted a job at Cal Baptist who is starting their transition to Division-I.

http://intermatwrest.../articles/18196

This leaves the Sacred Heart program without any coaches, correct?

This is not a good sign for the program. You have to wonder if the two coaches were reading the writing on the wall and got out when they had the chance before being potentially stuck without a job. I hope I am wrong, but this doesn't look good.

#12 jcwrestlingfan

jcwrestlingfan

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 01:25 AM

I have to wonder if Mark Cody makes a pitch to their AD, citing what he was able to do at American U. with much less than full funding. I'd like to see him get another shot and turn around another program.

I could not see Cody making such a dramatic step down, going from Oklahoma to Sacred Heart. I agree I would love to see sign on somewhere, I do not think SHU is the right fit for him. SHu would probably go along the lines of hiring a current assistant from an EIWA school. Pay would be less and maybe some youthful energy coming in.

#13 Tofurky

Tofurky

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 01:38 AM

I could not see Cody making such a dramatic step down, going from Oklahoma to Sacred Heart. I agree I would love to see sign on somewhere, I do not think SHU is the right fit for him. SHu would probably go along the lines of hiring a current assistant from an EIWA school. Pay would be less and maybe some youthful energy coming in.

I hear you on that, but is Mark is doing anything right now? I know he was coaching at an Oklahoma high school this past season, but is he working beyond that?

One other regional guy with a big name who might be able to have a fairly large impact immediately, while then setting the table for a young stud to come along in six to eight years, might be Jeff Buxton. I know, that is probably more unlikely than Cody going there, but it just popped in my head and he could leverage his

I guess at the end of the day it's going to depend on what SHU really wants out of the program, if anything at all.

#14 IronChef

IronChef

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 02:07 AM

Cody would not be going from Oklahoma to Sacred Heart. He would be going from nowhere to Sacred Heart. That's a big difference.

#15 NYWRESTLER94

NYWRESTLER94

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 04:59 AM

Mark Cody applied for the Davidson job I don't think he has a problem going to sacred heart given the opportunity

#16 Tofurky

Tofurky

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:55 AM

Mark Cody applied for the Davidson job I don't think he has a problem going to sacred heart given the opportunity

Any idea on the level of resources and institutional support the program has as of now?

#17 NYWRESTLER94

NYWRESTLER94

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 03:38 PM

Any idea on the level of resources and institutional support the program has as of now?

not really but if I had to guess I'd say about as much as Americans team had when he got there
  • Tofurky likes this

#18 SetonHallPirate

SetonHallPirate

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 10,505 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 04:07 PM

not really but if I had to guess I'd say about as much as Americans team had when he got there

Probably less than that. I may be mistaken, but I believe Andy Lausier was fundraising the Gross Domestic Product of a small country at Sacred Heart.

#19 Pinnum

Pinnum

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 12:01 AM

I think a lot of the people here have some confusion about American and Sacred Heart.

First, it is important to understand that Sacred Heart uses wrestling to drive enrollment. This is what people like to cite on here as a reason to have D1 wrestling. ('But think of all the tuition they bring in by having a program that attracts wrestlers to campus.') The reality is that the program can only be a benefit to the school if you keep expenses for the program VERY low (think D3 programs). This is what Sacred Heart does. The goal is not to produce champions but to provide athletic opportunities to students to study at the school.

Secondly, the order of the events at American are a little backwards. While it may appear that Cody took over over a program like Sacred Heart and build it into a fully funded program, that is a little erroneous.

American had a review and was considering dropping the program but the Alumni stepped in and developed a plan to fund the program. April 12, 2002

American Names Mark Cody Wrestling Coach July 2, 2002

Cody took over a team that was previously underfunded and with little institutional support but he was brought in because they wanted a turn around and they promised him increased funding every year.  The program became fully funded under Cody.

Sacred Heart and American are not really proxies.

Though Sacred Heart did review and discuss dropping wrestling under Brewster and decided to keep the program.

• Tofurky and Buckxell like this

#20 IronChef

IronChef

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 12:42 AM

I bet we see something soon from Sacred Heart. They posted the job on their site on Monday and it's already been taken down. That suggests they have their guy and were going through the formalities. Maybe an announcement is coming in the next week or so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users