Sign in to follow this  
VakAttack

Spencer Lee interview, talks about crowd reaction to his loss

At one time I thought I was being bias. At one time I thought I was just being a hater. At one time I thought it was me being a Ohio State homer but after reading this article I now understand why I can't stand some Penn State fans!! At a time when they should of been on their feet cheering this young man on for a incredible high school career this is the memory they chose to leave a 17-18 year old kid with. Pathetic!!! I bet one of those fans was 21 Guns a True piece of ****!!

Again, do you understand how the real world works?  This is not at all surprising to me.  I have never booed or jeered anyone at any sporting event, but it is very commonplace.  This is the world in which we live.

It still blows my mind that of all the kids PSU couldn't pull him in. Possibly the best wrestler in PA HS history and they couldn't get him. 

Similar to DT not going to OSU, although the landscape was a tad different then. 

Perhaps Lee wanted to resurrect rather than continue a dynasty?  Maybe money?  Maybe he just likes the Brand Bros style?  Who knows? 

Any adult booing a high school kid for not choosing 'their" school is a repulsive pos with self-esteem issues.

Well, if happy another wrestler won then I would say this would be quite natural., 

"It was intense during the match, but it was intense after the match as well with people yelling at me and my family about my decision to leave the state and telling us I should have chosen Penn State. Some yelled that they were glad I lost and said, â€œWe Are” as we walked by. That showed me a side of a crowd that was new to me."

Great eye opening lesson for Mr. Lee, that every team has douche-bag fans.  

Edited by stp

Do you even know what was said? If it was "We are," big deal. If they were happy he lost, big deal. Perhaps he wasn't their cup of tea unless he was their tea. Unless some things crossed the line, then whatever. Unless we know what was truly said and in what context, why are we really giving a crap?

Because why does anything have to be said AT ALL? That's the point. If you wanna root for DeSanto - fine, no problem. But when the match is over, what is proven by running your mouth to a kid, to a fan of the other team, to the kids parents? Nothing. Oh wait - yes it does prove something - that the vocal one is a d-bag. Ive been in the middle of some screaming matches in the past when I was younger (little too much piss and vinegar in the 'ole blood I guess), and I felt like a complete d-bag after the fact, and I don't engage now.

And I was in Hershey all weekend for every match - AA and AAA (just stating as a frame of reference). There were clearly "We Are" chants by small groups throughout the match and during the medal ceremony, and if I recall correctly, there were no placers at 126 going to PSU to be cheating for (I could be wrong - but dont feel like looking it up right now).

As for the crowd - to JB's point, Exeter is not a "local" team geographically, but Hershey is in the heart of District 3, so a lot of the people present were D3 people, thus probably rooting for DeSanto. That said - Austin could have been from Erie, but I think there still would have been as much support - as many of you already stated, it's the David v. Goliath syndrome - just like every year at the NCAAs the crowd gets behind underdogs, and in the NCAA basketball tourney, so many people go nuts when a low seed beats a top seed (even though it "busts" their bracket!). So, it wasn't so much the AD support that should be the issue - its the booing of Lee when he was clearly hurt and couldn't really take a shot or do what he is capable of doing. It was the jeers after the match and comments made. That's what's getting under people's skin.

In Central PA, unless you went to a school other than PSU, you are a PSU fan - which makes sense. Most people grew up PSU fans around here. So of course there are going to be a number of bad eggs (and there are an especially HIGH number of them locally - just go to any youth tourney and you will see who they are - the MMA wannabe's grinding their kids to dust....). Everyone here knows I am not a PSU fan, but root for certain kids. But I have plenty of PSU friends who I dont lump in with the rest of the idiot fans, and they clearly show disgust when those fans act up. As a Pitt fan, I see plenty of other Pitt fans who are embarrassing (although not as many, because our fan base is nowhere near as large as the PSUs, OSUs, Iowas, tOSUs of the world). What is irritating about some PSU fans and this Lee thing is that if they would just say - yeah, it happened (the chants and comments) and those people suck and we as a fan base apologize for their stupidity, there would be a lot more respect - instead, a large number refute it, defend it, try to minimize it, etc. (sound familiar with another situation???) And THAT is what's bugging a lot of non-PSU fans with this particular issue.

Just my 6 pennies on the issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Because why does anything have to be said AT ALL? That's the point. If you wanna root for DeSanto - fine, no problem. But when the match is over, what is proven by running your mouth to a kid, to a fan of the other team, to the kids parents? Nothing. Oh wait - yes it does prove something - that the vocal one is a d-bag. Ive been in the middle of some screaming matches in the past when I was younger (little too much piss and vinegar in the 'ole blood I guess), and I felt like a complete d-bag after the fact, and I don't engage now.

And I was in Hershey all weekend for every match - AA and AAA (just stating as a frame of reference). There were clearly "We Are" chants by small groups throughout the match and during the medal ceremony, and if I recall correctly, there were no placers at 126 going to PSU to be cheating for (I could be wrong - but dont feel like looking it up right now).

As for the crowd - to JB's point, Exeter is not a "local" team geographically, but Hershey is in the heart of District 3, so a lot of the people present were D3 people, thus probably rooting for DeSanto. That said - Austin could have been from Erie, but I think there still would have been as much support - as many of you already stated, it's the David v. Goliath syndrome - just like every year at the NCAAs the crowd gets behind underdogs, and in the NCAA basketball tourney, so many people go nuts when a low seed beats a top seed (even though it "busts" their bracket!). So, it wasn't so much the AD support that should be the issue - its the booing of Lee when he was clearly hurt and couldn't really take a shot or do what he is capable of doing. It was the jeers after the match and comments made. That's what's getting under people's skin.

In Central PA, unless you went to a school other than PSU, you are a PSU fan - which makes sense. Most people grew up PSU fans around here. So of course there are going to be a number of bad eggs (and there are an especially HIGH number of them locally - just go to any youth tourney and you will see who they are - the MMA wannabe's grinding their kids to dust....). Everyone here knows I am not a PSU fan, but root for certain kids. But I have plenty of PSU friends who I dont lump in with the rest of the idiot fans, and they clearly show disgust when those fans act up. As a Pitt fan, I see plenty of other Pitt fans who are embarrassing (although not as many, because our fan base is nowhere near as large as the PSUs, OSUs, Iowas, tOSUs of the world). What is irritating about some PSU fans and this Lee thing is that if they would just say - yeah, it happened (the chants and comments) and those people suck and we as a fan base apologize for their stupidity, there would be a lot more respect - instead, a large number refute it, defend it, try to minimize it, etc. (sound familiar with another situation???) And THAT is what's bugging a lot of non-PSU fans with this particular issue.

Just my 6 pennies on the issue.

Very well put. I am a PSU fan and will call out obnoxious PSU fans when I see them. IMO this needs to happen more often across the board in order to show that being an obnoxious fan will not be tolerated even if we're rooring for the same side.

Very well put. I am a PSU fan and will call out obnoxious PSU fans when I see them. IMO this needs to happen more often across the board in order to show that being an obnoxious fan will not be tolerated even if we're rooring for the same side.

BINGO. I wish more people would just step up and tell their fellow fans - "shut up, you're being a jerk"

BINGO. I wish more people would just step up and tell their fellow fans - "shut up, you're being a jerk"

Again, there are bad fans for all schools. Nobody here is supportive of bagging on a kid, so not sure what you hope to accomplish other than to throw the 10,000th shovel of crap at Penn State alumini and fans.

Tell me when PSU will have finally, FINALLY paid their bill in full.

Again, there are bad fans for all schools. Nobody here is supportive of bagging on a kid, so not sure what you hope to accomplish other than to throw the 10,000th shovel of crap at Penn State alumini and fans.

Im a PSU Fan and agree with jasonmitchel.

A simple acknoledgement of those PSU fans being jerks and saying we do not accept their actions would go a long way.

As for the haters that will contiue to bag on PSU... well someone on their side also needs to step up and say to their annoying fans.. hey now youre being the jerk.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

I, for one, denounce and categorically repudiate the actions of the so-called "fans" who disrespected Spencer Lee and his family.  They could have made their point about his college choice in a sportsmanlike manner, such as Mr. Flying-Tiger did via the battery-throwing incident.  Instead they choose to cross the line and act like jerks.  Again, I condemn them unequivocally.

Edited by HurricaneWrestling

BFD

Losing is a bitter pill to swallow. People know that and rub it in a bit. The "We Are" chants are banal compared to what his opponents will get at Carver and what he stands to get elsewhere. Remember the Philly quality boos Marsteller received from more than 40k for having the audacity to beat Edwin Cooper?

I, for one, denounce and categorically repudiate the actions of the so-called "fans" who disrespected Spencer Lee and his family.  They could have made their point about his college choice in a sportsmanlike manner, such as Mr. Flying-Tiger did via the battery-throwing incident.  Instead they choose to cross the line and act like jerks.  Again, I condemn them unequivocally.

And if they claim to be PSU fans... you are not wanted amongst the PSU Fanbase. Shame on you. We hace no space for you.

You can really be ultra sensitive. I wasn't dumping on PSU fans - my comments were related to fans of every school. Please reread my posts. It doesn't ALWAYS have to be about you/PSU.

He!! - I even throw my own fan base under the bus in my original post. My point was that there are too many "bad egg" PSU fans around here (central pa) that are too vocal and say stupid things - constantly. And it tarnishes the image of the entire fan base. This was just magnified with some of the stuff coming out of states. I'm sure in Columbus there are way more idiot tOSU fans than anywhere else, for example (picked them for no reason than it was the first to come to mind).

Unlike others - I do NOT lump the wrestling fans in with the general "cult" PSU fan base unless that fan is still driving around with a "409" or "JVP" sticker on their car - that person needs donkey punched. A majority of the PSU wrestling fans I know do NOT fit that category and I can easily discuss the sport (or any sport) with them.

GuyuteThePig

HTP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by Jasonmitchell32

You can really be ultra sensitive. I wasn't dumping on PSU fans - my comments were related to fans of every school. Please reread my posts. It doesn't ALWAYS have to be about you/PSU.

He!! - I even throw my own fan base under the bus in my original post. My point was that there are too many "bad egg" PSU fans around here (central pa) that are too vocal and say stupid things - constantly. And it tarnishes the image of the entire fan base. This was just magnified with some of the stuff coming out of states. I'm sure in Columbus there are way more idiot tOSU fans than anywhere else, for example (picked them for no reason than it was the first to come to mind).

Unlike others - I do NOT lump the wrestling fans in with the general "cult" PSU fan base unless that fan is still driving around with a "409" or "JVP" sticker on their car - that person needs donkey punched. A majority of the PSU wrestling fans I know do NOT fit that category and I can easily discuss the sport (or any sport) with them.

GuyuteThePig

HTP

The vast majority of Paterno-philes and Joe Bots, are elderly.  Almost none of them, are under the age of 55 to 60.  That entire fringe portion of the fan base will be gone in 10 to 15 years.  You obviously did not attend the Penn State vs Temple football game, which proved once and for all that the Paterno freaks, are in the tiny minority of our football fan base.  There were 102,000 people at that game, and most of the stadium booed, or remained silent, during the 3 minute Paterno scoreboard tribute.  There were almost NO cheers.  In addition, it came midway through the third quarter, with no introduction by the PA announcer.

Barbour did that, to gauge where the fan base was at:  Now that she knows, you will never hear the name, or hear reference to it, by PENN STATE officials, ever again.  We CANNOT do a damn thing about what national broadcasters say or do, that is out of our hands.  The sooner you understand that, the better.

The vast majority of Paterno-philes and Joe Bots, are elderly.  Almost none of them, are under the age of 55 to 60.  That entire fringe portion of the fan base will be gone in 10 to 15 years.  You obviously did not attend the Penn State vs Temple football game, which proved once and for all that the Paterno freaks, are in the tiny minority of our football fan base.  There were 102,000 people at that game, and most of the stadium booed, or remained silent, during the 3 minute Paterno scoreboard tribute.  There were almost NO cheers.  In addition, it came midway through the third quarter, with no introduction by the PA announcer.

Barbour did that, to gauge where the fan base was at:  Now that she knows, you will never hear the name, or hear reference to it, by PENN STATE officials, ever again.  We CANNOT do a damn thing about what national broadcasters say or do, that is out of our hands.  The sooner you understand that, the better.

False. We CAN do a damn thing. Publicly denounce the things they say afterwards.

I agree that it is a positive development when fans step up to stop classless actions especially among their own. But I have to add that advocating donkey punching others for having a different opinion regarding JVP or 409 seems extreme- even though your beliefs about motive and guilt might be correct and theirs wrong. Of course, since you're advocating against classless actions, I'm assuming that your call for donkey punching is internet rhetoric stemming from your strong opinion and outrage and not an actual call for violence, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by swoopdown

I agree that it is a positive development when fans step up to stop classless actions especially among their own. But I have to add that advocating donkey punching others for having a different opinion regarding JVP or 409 seems extreme- even though your beliefs about motive and guilt might be correct and theirs wrong. Of course, since you're advocating against classless actions, I'm assuming that your call for donkey punching is internet rhetoric stemming from your strong opinion and outrage and not an actual call for violence, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct. Especially since I'm not a donkey.

GuyuteThePig

HTP

The vast majority of Paterno-philes and Joe Bots, are elderly. Almost none of them, are under the age of 55 to 60. That entire fringe portion of the fan base will be gone in 10 to 15 years. You obviously did not attend the Penn State vs Temple football game, which proved once and for all that the Paterno freaks, are in the tiny minority of our football fan base. There were 102,000 people at that game, and most of the stadium booed, or remained silent, during the 3 minute Paterno scoreboard tribute. There were almost NO cheers. In addition, it came midway through the third quarter, with no introduction by the PA announcer.

Barbour did that, to gauge where the fan base was at: Now that she knows, you will never hear the name, or hear reference to it, by PENN STATE officials, ever again. We CANNOT do a damn thing about what national broadcasters say or do, that is out of our hands. The sooner you understand that, the better.

No - I wasn't at the game, and yes - you are lost likely correct that the Paterno cult members are most likely the elders of the group. That said - I think that the comment that Barbour did the Paterno salute to gauge fan reaction is a bunch of BS. No quality self-respecting AD who really cares about his/her school undertakes a tasteless action that the whole nation will see just to gauge where their fan base is on the issue.... that's just making excuses for doing something stupid.

GuyuteThePig

HTP

Im a PSU Fan and agree with jasonmitchel.

A simple acknoledgement of those PSU fans being jerks and saying we do not accept their actions would go a long way.

As for the haters that will contiue to bag on PSU... well someone on their side also needs to step up and say to their annoying fans.. hey now youre being the jerk.

Well, on page 1 I stated the comments were stupid and made by idiots, but that wasn't good enough.

He!! - I even throw my own fan base under the bus in my original post.

Well, I have denounced what happened with PSU regarding the whole Sandusky mess, and this week denounced what happened with the fraternity so I have never been unwilling to call out our own.

I simply think this is another situation where an Iowa fan felt he could start a dumpster fire on PSU. Turns out he could.

Edited by TBar1977

Well, I have denounced what happened with PSU regarding the whole Sandusky mess, and this week denounced what happened with the fraternity so I have never been unwilling to call out our own.

I simply think this is another situation where an Iowa fan felt he could start a dumpster fire on PSU. Turns out he could.

And if he does a GOOD Iowa fan needs to step up and shut hom up! Edited by BigTenFanboy

There are two points that haven't been made:

1.)  A heavy amount of booing came after Spencer visibly scolded a female reporter for taking his picture as he was headed into the tunnel after the loss.

2.) Spencer was given a huge standing ovation when he was given his medal on the podium.

I'm sure there were some idiots making comments to Spencer and his family.  There are idiots everywhere.  However, I think most of the fan reaction was due to the fact that DeSanto was the underdog who many knew came down a weight to face one of the greatest PA high school wrestlers in history.  

The "real" wrestling fans appreciated everything about that match and will always remember it.  You had one kid put it all on the line with a serious knee injury.  You have another kid who dropped a weight to wrestle the best, who happened to tech fall him in last year's final.  I have tons of respect for Austin and Spencer, and I think all true wrestling fans feel the same way.