Sign in to follow this  
HawkFanactic1

Ohio State Line-Up

pot is a Performance Enhancing Drug?  funny.

I knew a guy who shall remain nameless, who got high before every match because, he said, he didn't want to hurt anybody.  He was a Div 3 National Champ, but I really don't think his performance was enhanced by his smoking.  

Maybe he just enjoyed his matches more that way.

Cannabinoids are definitely banned(but only during competition) and would be if legalized.  So, he could probably get away with it in the offseason, although I am sure it would still not be accepted behind closed doors.

Here is the basic reasoning for determining what drugs fall into the "Anti-doping" grouping:

Some substances are banned only during competition, while others depend on the method of administration (for example inhalation versus tablet or injection form).

The list of prohibited substances is updated annually to keep up with advances in science and technology, with a new list being issued on the 1st of January. A substance is added to the list if it meets two of the three criteria listed below:

The potential for enhanced performance
The potential for being detrimental to health
Violation of the spirit of sport

In some cases an athlete may have a pre-existing medical condition which requires them to take medication which is listed. In this case the athlete can apply to their International Federation for a Therapeutic Use Exemption which must be verified by their physician. In order to be accepted the following must be true:

The athlete would suffer significant health problems if they do not take the medication
There is no suitable alternative which is not listed
There are no considerable performance enhancing benefits

So, basically, cannabinoids are not really PED's and are actually banned more so for their detrimental effects.

fwiw, http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2012-08/fyi-why-cannabis-olympic-banned-substances-list

For a substance to be considered for inclusion on the List of Prohibited Substances and Methods, it needs to meet any two of the following three criteria:

• Be performance enhancing;
  • Potentially a health risk;
  • against the spirit of sport.

WHY CANNABIS?

Cannabis is considered to be in violation of all three main disqualifying criteria. It violates the first (performance enhancement) because of its ability to decrease anxiety and fear, and potentially to improve some types of oxygenation and concentration. It violates the second (health risk) because it can result in, among other things, "decreased cognitive performance" and "pulmonary toxicity." It violates the third (spirit of sport) because of the drug's widespread illegality and conflicts with the "role model of athletes in modern society," along with "negative reactions by the public, sponsors, and the media."

Edited by KTG119

Guest Kingsland

I don't agree with it, but at least now I understand the rationale behind it. Thanks.

fwiw, http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2012-08/fyi-why-cannabis-olympic-banned-substances-list

For a substance to be considered for inclusion on the List of Prohibited Substances and Methods, it needs to meet any two of the following three criteria:

• Be performance enhancing;
  • Potentially a health risk;
  • against the spirit of sport.

WHY CANNABIS?

Cannabis is considered to be in violation of all three main disqualifying criteria. It violates the first (performance enhancement) because of its ability to decrease anxiety and fear, and potentially to improve some types of oxygenation and concentration. It violates the second (health risk) because it can result in, among other things, "decreased cognitive performance" and "pulmonary toxicity." It violates the third (spirit of sport) because of the drug's widespread illegality and conflicts with the "role model of athletes in modern society," along with "negative reactions by the public, sponsors, and the media."

The 1st one is REALLY a stretch in my opinion.  Honestly, I don't know why an athlete would want to inhale any kind of smoke into their lungs, but more power to you if you don't see it hurting your performance.

I know weed is banned, but is it banned because its considered a PED? If so thats asinine.

Not in competitive CHEETOS eating contests.

But yeah, pretty ridiculous that weed is tested for in wrestling. It's not going to make a guy stronger, faster, et.

Not in competitive CHEETOS eating contests.

But yeah, pretty ridiculous that weed is tested for in wrestling. It's not going to make a guy stronger, faster, et.

But it may unlock the doorways to one's third eye, thus providing clairvoyant possibilities, allowing to see the shot before it even happens... ergo, super speed... thus, performance enhancing...

Where's my nachos...

The 1st one is REALLY a stretch in my opinion. Honestly, I don't know why an athlete would want to inhale any kind of smoke into their lungs, but more power to you if you don't see it hurting your performance.

It's not that much of a stretch.

There are Olymlians who smoke cigarettes regularly. It's incredible to believe but actually happens. Not as much in the US but more so in Europe. Some time ago, I believe it was Sports Illustrated (I could be wrong on the publication) that had a picture of a European sprinter (women's track competitor) smoking. For some people, it is a huge crutch for reducing anxiety. Pot can act similarly.

Guest Kingsland

I can't see anybody being a better wrestler stoned than sober, but who knows...