Sign in to follow this  
KTG119

does 10 AAs = top 10 finish?

Yes, it should.

8th place gets three placement points so that is 30 points right there. Add in the matches won and the advancement to reach to placement round and they should be in the top-10.

An 8th place finisher with only consolation victories and no bonus would score 5 (50 total for the team).

A 50 point finish usually falls in the 8th to 12th range. So there's a decent chance that team would not be top 10.

While accurate, realistically there will be some non consi wins and no bonus.

A better way to look at this is to just look at what the 8th placers scored in real life previously

would 10 8th place finishers get you a top 10 team place most years?

That kind of balance should get you a team trophy, let alone a top 10.

Who would you put all your money on to win a dual meet-- a team with only 3 AAs, all gold, or a team with 10 AAs, all 8th? BUT, tournament scoring would put 3 champs slightly ahead. On average, most champs don't pin or superior AAs let alone 8th placers. Mostly it's a decision as revealed by NCAA bracket results.

That kind of balance should get you a team trophy, let alone a top 10.

Who would you put all your money on to win a dual meet-- a team with only 3 AAs, all gold, or a team with 10 AAs, all 8th? BUT, tournament scoring would put 3 champs slightly ahead. On average, most champs don't pin or superior AAs let alone 8th placers. Mostly it's a decision as revealed by NCAA bracket results.

that's kind of what prompted my thoughts on this. now, I'm not a proponent of duals deciding the NCAA title as I know you are, but it does make me think we have too much of a tournament scoring disparity between places 1 and 8. to take it a step further, I'm guessing a team with 10 guys who get to quarters and then lose 2 in a row might not finish 12th or better every year, even though all 10 guys on their team are top 12.   

that's kind of what prompted my thoughts on this. now, I'm not a proponent of duals deciding the NCAA title as I know you are, but it does make me think we have too much of a tournament scoring disparity between places 1 and 8. to take it a step further, I'm guessing a team with 10 guys who get to quarters and then lose 2 in a row might not finish 12th or better every year, even though all 10 guys on their team are top 12.   

While they would be in the top 12 that does not necessarily mean they were "top 12 guys" it could just be the case they got good draws and performed well in a particular match. We see guys every year who manage to pull off an upset and get further in the tournament than their past performance would indicate.   

While they would be in the top 12 that does not necessarily mean they were "top 12 guys" it could just be the case they got good draws and performed well in a particular match. We see guys every year who manage to pull off an upset and get further in the tournament than their past performance would indicate.   

true, but same can be said for any number of AAs, if you re-drew the bracket or re-wrestled the thing x # of times, we all know you could end up with vastly different results. 

true, but same can be said for any number of AAs, if you re-drew the bracket or re-wrestled the thing x # of times, we all know you could end up with vastly different results. 

And we agree on two points this fine Sunday. 

I'm not a proponent of duals deciding the NCAA title either. I am a proponent of a more accurate tournament scoring system. What we have now lacks sensitivity toward team balance while at the same time being too sensitive toward individual prestige in spite of the changes to consy place points made almost 20 years ago. A good example is the 7 AAs ISU had in 2009, but tied for 5th with OK. St. with 4 AAs!! The only other team with 7 AAs was champion Iowa.

But nobody complains. We're blinded by Saturday night's shiny objects and forget the bigger picture of all previous rounds, reinforced by reference to consolation "losers" and throwing them crumbs for team points while, ironically, putting them on a podium and calling them all-Americans. 

I'm not a proponent of duals deciding the NCAA title either. I am a proponent of a more accurate tournament scoring system. What we have now lacks sensitivity toward team balance while at the same time being too sensitive toward individual prestige in spite of the changes to consy place points made almost 20 years ago. A good example is the 7 AAs ISU had in 2009, but tied for 5th with OK. St. with 4 AAs!! The only other team with 7 AAs was champion Iowa.

But nobody complains. We're blinded by Saturday night's shiny objects and forget the bigger picture of all previous rounds, reinforced by reference to consolation "losers" and throwing them crumbs for team points while, ironically, putting them on a podium and calling them all-Americans. 

We live in a sport which has always rewarded the "Shiny Object" and I suspect it will as long as we have giant "National" tournaments at the youth and high school level being promoted with massive amounts of money made. All anybody cares about in any of the events in the first 15 years of wrestling is the champion and somehow we are expecting that to change in the last 4 years? 

Edited by Zebra