JohnnyThompsonnum1

Current Division I Coaches who did not Wrestle Division I

HEAD COACHES

Sam Barber - Air Force
Upper Iowa (Division II) - Was not an All American

Andy Lausier - Davidson
Lycoming (Division III) - All American in 2000

Mark Manning - Nebraska
Nebraska Omaha (Division II) - Two time Champion (Did Qualify for NCAA DI Championships)

Ryan Ludwig - Northern Illinois
Findlay (NAIA) - Three time All American

ASSISTANT/VOLUNTEER COACHES 

Chris Heilman - Air Force
Cornell College (Division III) - Three time All American

Marcus Gordon - Bloomsburg
Ashland (Division II) - Two time NCAA qualifier

Boomer Fechko - Buffalo
Wrestled for both Findlay (Division II) and Heidelberg (Division III) - Was an All American at Findlay.

Garrett Kiley - Campbell
Simpson (DIII) Did Not qualify for NCAA's.

Nate Engel - Navy
Wrestled for William Penn and Missouri Valley (Both NAIA) - Took 3rd at NAIA nationals

Tervel Dlagnev - Ohio State
Nebraska Kearney (Division II) - Two time NCAA champion

(Out of what I could find. Please let me know if you know of more. Thank you.) 

If you made a list of D1 football coaches the percentage would be a lot different. I think wrestling handicaps itself by equating good wrestling with good coaching. This mentality has kept wrestling in the dark ages. I have met many D1!wrestling coaches and I think many of them are idiots.

If you made a list of D1 football coaches the percentage would be a lot different. I think wrestling handicaps itself by equating good wrestling with good coaching. This mentality has kept wrestling in the dark ages. I have met many D1!wrestling coaches and I think many of them are idiots.

I've met, and dealt with, pretty darned close to all of them, and I would disagree with you on every single one of them.

I've met, and dealt with, pretty darned close to all of them, and I would disagree with you on every single one of them.

As a reporter needing access to coaches to get a story out, your professional need to kiss butt and bias is understandable. I did say MANY but not how many. The demise of college wrestling is due mostly to the coaches who are idiots.

Eric Thompson - Lock Haven 

Grand View (NAIA) - Three time Champion 

Eric started at Iowa State and then left the university. I don't know if he ever officially competed but may have had matches as a redshirt. Doesn't really matter though since he does not coach at a D1 school anymore. He is on the NLWC staff now.

Edited by wrestlingphish

The reason you don't see the best athletes the best coaches in a lot of other sports is the money.  Great football players have long careers, and make a lot of money and they don't need the money from coaching.  Cael was still in his prime and stopped wrestling to become a college head coach.  Would Tom Brady be an excellent coach?  Most certainly!!! But there was ZERO chance of him quitting the NFL after his first super bowl to coach at Michigan.  When he's done, he will not become a head coach.  He'll retire, enjoy the good life, live off his football earnings the rest of his life.  And if he needs extra money he'll do a commercial or sign autographs somewhere.  Wrestling is different.  John Smith, Tom Brands, Cael Sanderson, etc. didn't make enough money in their career to last 10 years, so they have to coach to make a good living.   Listen to the wisdom of Jack Nicklaus sometime and you'll realize he could have been an excellent golf coach.  You don't have to be the greatest athlete in your sport to be the greatest coach but it's possible, we just never find out in the money sports.

As a reporter needing access to coaches to get a story out, your professional need to kiss butt and bias is understandable. I did say MANY but not how many. The demise of college wrestling is due mostly to the coaches who are idiots.

Yep, that must be it...I must be kissing butt and biased.

If there are two things I am utterly awful at, it's kissing butt and having a bias.