Sign in to follow this  
nom

Cornell posters - all negative?

Seems like Cornell fans on here are typically posting negative comments - most often against Penn State and Lehigh. Has it always been this way on here? Wish there post brought more insight to the CU program and were less about trying to pull others down. Gives the school a bad name. Rise above gentlemen.

Seems like Cornell fans on here are typically posting negative comments - most often against Penn State and Lehigh. Has it always been this way on here? Wish there post brought more insight to the CU program and were less about trying to pull others down. Gives the school a bad name. Rise above gentlemen.

"Me thinks thou does protest too much". What's your agenda?

Seems like Cornell fans on here are typically posting negative comments

Funny, I used to think that about PSU fans - then I took a closer look at which fans were making the most negative comments, and I realized that there were a very few fans who made the majority of the negative comments. Most PSU fans, on closer inspection, turned out to be pretty level headed, at least in my view.

After looking more closely, I don't think there are any "Typical Fans" from any program, but there are definately individuals who seem to have typical agendas.

Just one fan's opinion... :roll:

Agreed. I have no issue with PSU - they are number one and in terms of the national tourney, most teams are going to fall behind. Hard to argue with their success or any of their wrestlers.

I do have issues with Lehigh as I find their style brutal to watch. In addition, I continually hear how the program is turning the corner. Of course it has turned the corner. However, they continue to stumble pretty hard from time to time and take steps back too.

I am guessing many of my comments about LU are negative. So what.

Guest Hammerlock3
Woops - their not there Hate when I do that.

Hammer - I will work to address that! You being such a model of sugar and spice and everything nice!

I'm a complete pig I say it all the time, it does not negate my arguments.

Hammer - I concur. I often agree with the substance of your stance while sometimes chuckling, sometimes wincing, at the sharp edge with which it is delivered. You've developed a unique persona on the board, and I mean that in a good way frankly.

Guest Hammerlock3

they're not as bad a the 200 OSU fans who fled the board, all of which had Orange, Poke, or cowboy in their handle.

Presumably this is just trolling, but I'll bite. The only "issue" that the Cornell fans have been passionate about is the Dake/Taylor issue. Try looking at it from a Cornell perspective.

After last season: Dake has 3 NCAA title, Taylor 1. General consensus is that Taylor is "better."

After this summer: Dake absolutely demolishes Taylor in freestyle, techs him and then pins him. General Consensus: freestyle doesn't "count".

After All-Star match: Dake wins, general consensus is that he "stalled" despite the fact that Taylor did nothing.

After next match: Dake wins, 3rd time he has beaten Taylor in 6 months. General Consensus: Dake got help from ref. (Despite video evidence to the contrary and Dake being the aggressor.)

Taylor might be one of the best college wrestlers of all time. Might be. Dake IS..if Dake skipped the NCAA's and retired tomorrow you'd have to put him in the top 7 minimum. There was even a thread asking Iowa fans who they are rooting for and the majority picked a Penn State guy, which boggles my mind.

Dake doesn't get enough credit. Not for what he's done, and not for the decision to sack up and go 165 in the first place. Cornell fans are passionate about this. I wouldn't say negative, but certainly passionate. Aside from this one case, I can't think of anything else where Cornell fans are particularly vocal. I don't think there is any Cornell-Penn State issue outside of these 2. Penn State is certainly the better team and every Cornell fan knows it.

I was impressed last season with the Hawk fans yapping about how much wgt Dake was cutting to avoid Taylor. A real laugher coming from them. This year he has wins at 165 over #s 23468 and is getting ready to knock off 10 at EIWAs. DT only #3 and 7. Caldwell and Polz. Is that negative or accurate? Does it mean anything? The more often a guy like Taylor wrestles you the tighter the match will get. One thing about FS it usually tells who is better on their feet.

----

Other than the Dake vs Taylor angle, I can't say I've noticed particular negativity... at least not much.

As far as the Iowa fans rooting for Taylor, a little clarification is needed. If Iowa is close to PSU in the title chase, you can bet we'd be rooting for Dake. If it is not a factor I think most don't have an strong favorite. Several did mention Taylor's style as more exciting, but hard not to appreciate Dake as well. Both are truly elite.

Btw, try being an Iowa fan, if you want to experience some real negativity.

I was impressed last season with the Hawk fans yapping about how much wgt Dake was cutting to avoid Taylor. A real laugher coming from them. This year he has wins at 165 over #s 23468 and is getting ready to knock off 10 at EIWAs. DT only #3 and 7. Caldwell and Polz. Is that negative or accurate? Does it mean anything? The more often a guy like Taylor wrestles you the tighter the match will get. One thing about FS it usually tells who is better on their feet.

He just pinned the #10 yesterday. (if it's the same guy we're talking about)

Seems like Cornell fans on here are typically posting negative comments

Funny, I used to think that about PSU fans - then I took a closer look at which fans were making the most negative comments, and I realized that there were a very few fans who made the majority of the negative comments. Most PSU fans, on closer inspection, turned out to be pretty level headed, at least in my view.

I think redblades hit it on the nose. As a Lehigh fan, I used to think the same thing about Cornell fans as nom. However, I've come to realize it's only one or two that like to stir the pot. Same with Lehigh fans. Same with PSU fans. Overall, I think Cornell has one of the most respectful fan bases in collegiate wrestling.

Bottom line, this is more of a thread by a PSU fan (right?), who would prefer to see complete capitulation out of another program's fans.

If calling Cael's bs and engaging some PSU fans on issues like the Long transfer, DT's greatness in the face of Dake, and total opposition to a National Dual team championship...... is negative. Then so be it. I am negative nellie.

Bottom line, this is more of a thread by a PSU fan (right?), who would prefer to see complete capitulation out of another program's fans.

If calling Cael's bs and engaging some PSU fans on issues like the Long transfer, DT's greatness in the face of Dake, and total opposition to a National Dual team championship...... is negative. Then so be it. I am negative nellie.

I agree with this statement. If Cael were the coach of my favorite team, I would say he is acting like a petulant child for not competing in this years National Duals. I have not seen one PSU fan take this stance. As a matter of fact, I don't know if I have ever seen a PSU fan say anything critical of Cael.

Penn State should be at National Duals.

More than a few Penn Staters have stated as much.

As for the Cornell followers, I wouldn't say negative. They had a year they thought Cornell would win a National Championship. Then the rug was ripped out from beneath them and the stars that were aligned scattered; they remain bitter.

Deservedly so.

JAD got it about right. Every major program has a few negative posters. Some of it is a matter of perspective. If I most something critical of your guy, I'm being negative. But if you post the same thing about my guy, you're being analytical.

I know quite a few Cornell fans, and most of them are friendly and likable. There are one or two I could do without.

One of my best friends is a Penn State fan who often comes with me to Lehigh matches. On the other hand, there are a couple of PSU posters out there who I could live without.

While I don't frequent Midwest boards, I'm sure the same could be said about fans from OSU, Iowa and Minnesota.

It's all part of a forum environment, no matter what the topic. Get used to it. JJH