Sign in to follow this  
Tofurky

Arizona State Down in Cuba

Guest Kingsland

This is really cool. Also, Maruca looks huge, way bigger than Shields, and about the same size as A. Valencia.

That's really cool, ignorant question here - I assume this happened because their assistant Garcia was originally from Cuba right?  But didn't he defect to Canada?  I would think Cuba wouldn't be too kind to those that left their country, but maybe I don't have the story right or things are less strict post-Fidel. 

Distribution of picks so far and some comments

57:  Graff 13, Garrett 6, Ramos 4, NaTo 2, Field 2 - Not surprised Graff has the most but I am surprised that Ramos has so few takers.  

61: Steiber 26, Maple 1 - Not that Steiber is invincible but in this format it is hard to see anyone coming through the challenge tournament and winning 2 out of 3.

65: Oliver 11, Retherford 8, Molinaro 6, Field 2 - Given how close Oliver's wins over the other 2 were, this makes sense

70: Green 20, Field 7 - Kulchy has put up points on Green in the past and Kennedy is a threat here too, so this seems reasonable

74: Dake 14, Burroughs 13 - Yup, looks like a tossup

86: Cox 16, Taylor 11 - Given how amazing Taylor has looked recently, this surprises me.  But I'm probably not putting enough weight on the fact that Cox is an Olympic medalist

97: Snyder 25, Field 2 - Makes sense

120: Gwiz 18, Rey 7, Bradley 2 - A little surprised that over a quarter of entrants think Rey can beat Nelson, then Bradley, and then have enough left to take 2 of 3 from Gwizz.  That's hard to do when you have to grind out every match like he does.  Getting the bye at this weight was really huge IMO.

That's really cool, ignorant question here - I assume this happened because their assistant Garcia was originally from Cuba right?  But didn't he defect to Canada?  I would think Cuba wouldn't be too kind to those that left their country, but maybe I don't have the story right or things are less strict post-Fidel. 

No clue, but Zeke having been the former head of Freestyle for USAW probably didn't hurt in making that happen for his guys.