Sign in to follow this  
BigTenFanboy

Fan of Teams vs Fan of Wrestlers

What are you more a fan of? The Team/Program a wrestler belongs to, or the individual wrestlers themselves?

Personally I am a fan of the wrestlers over any team or school.

I will say this, while I would consider myself a PSU Fan, it's largely in part due to Cael Sanderson, as well as liking the majority of their wrestlers.

I think it just depends, if somebody from the state of Michigan is wrestling some not from Michigan but wrestles for the UofM I'll most time root for the UofM guy ie. Dean v Abounader.  Unless said wrestler is from Lenawee County then I'll always root for them to win no matter who they wrestle for ie Cole Weaver IU (hudson MI) v George Fisher UofM. Probably sounds weird but it makes since to me.

I will NEVER root for a UofM wrestler unless he is on any of my "teams"(money talks) or wrestled for High School in Michigan.  Inevitably, I do root for Michigan often because they field the most/best of this category consistently.  Youtsey, Hall, Massa, Amine, Beazley and Coon.

I will always bleed green, but rooting for MSU has been soooo hard.  Even now that they have coaches that I like as people, they still aren't going to get anywhere near our little run in the 90's.

I started rooting for Iowa when Metcalf joined Brands through VTech(I honestly may have become a VTech fan instead if Brands stayed).  Sadly, Iowa has not brought in one Michigan wrestler since.  However, I do really like the Brands and always respected(even through the competitive hatred when competing) Iowa.

Stories like IMar's will draw me towards these type of wrestlers and make me a fan.

Lastly, I honestly would probably be a PSU fan if not for the Bubba scenario.  No matter how people defend it, that changed my perception of Sanderson and, even worse, ended up with me cheering against DT when he truly is a great wrestler and fun to watch.

My order:

1.)Wrestlers with Michigan ties

2.)MSU

3.)Iowa

4.)Feel good stories

5.)John Smith

Edited to add: 6.)Dean Heil- The more people picked against him because of the way he wins, the more I cheered for him.

Edited by MSU158

I cheer for guys from my/my brothers alma maters, western PA guys, PA guys, guys who are fun to watch/something about them grabs me (always loved Cody Brewer for having guns blazing). Typically in that order, but not always.

Kids I coached

Team second (OSU, the real one, not the Bucknuts or Beavers)

OK/KS kids wrestling anywhere (except Mark Perry :) )

Like to watch good wrestling-doesnt matter what team, or country.  May not root for anyone, just enjoy!

I'd say I'm both.

I'm certainly a big buckeye fan, usually anyone vs the bucks I root for the Bucks. I find that I'm a fan of a lot of coaches - so in turn I root for their teams ( NC State, Campbell, ISU now, PSU, Northwestern, Oklahoma) 

Then I also like a lot of individuals - Gross being the best example off the top of my head. 

Edited by iGranby

interesting thread!

i'll say to start I bleed black and gold.  I'm a 3rd generation hawkeye hopefully raising a 4th, so that will never change.

second, I'd say I root for IA boys on the D1 level.  since I stay so in tune with IA HS wrestling, I inherently follow them through to the D1 level (i.e. Willie Miklus, James Nicholson, Alex Thomsen when he gets to NU)

lastly and overall, I'm a fan of great wrestling.  as much as it pains me to see a hawkeye go down, its hard to deny some of the talent that is on the PSU and tOSU rosters.

Definitely wrestlers over programs.  It's usually guys from my state because I'm more familiar with them at a younger age and then follow their progress all the way through regardless of the colleges they choose...but sometimes a national level kid will catch your eye and you'll keep tabs on him, Morgan McIntosh or Jordan Oliver come to mind for me.  Joey Lazor's team came up to the Brecksville Holiday Tourney his senior year from Georgia.  He was amazing that weekend.  I followed his career after that.  Sometimes a wrestler will impress at the college level and make you pay attention like Cody Brewer or Kyle Dake

I'm a fan of wrestlers individually because well, SSSSHHHHHH, wrestling is an individual sport. I know we're not supposed to mention that out loud but I just couldn't keep that a secret any longer. 

Always been a Penn St fan, but for decades they had no chance to win so despite my following them I would end up far more closely following individual wrestlers. Today it is easy for me to follow both the ;program and the individual wrestlers plus other assorted wrestlers i like. I really enjoy watching a guy like a Kollin Moore, or Ian Miller. 

I cheer for all of the wrestlers who aren't seeded first.  I like an underdog. A lot.  

That leaves PSU out for the moment.  IDK why, but I do cheer for Zain Retherford.  Not of a fan of the other Nittanies.  

I kind of fall into this category too.  I just like wrestling, but I really like kids beating kids that you all say they shouldn't beat.  I'm a fan of most things wrestling that aren't the fans.  

- First, pay attention and cheer for the wrestlers from St Paris Graham.

-Thee OSU and Wisconsin are my top two teams.

- Ohio wrestlers.

- At NCAA's normally I'll cheer for B10 competitors.

Edited by stp

1.  Penn State Guys

2.  Central Pennsylvania Guys

3.  Good, tough, guys who have good character

4.  Free spirited guys with a sense of humor

5.  Old school Iowa type guys

1,000,009.  Guys who deadlift a million pounds and hang out in tanning beds while their coach is in Aruba

I think this a very good topic as well, and agree with a few posters points.  I view wrestling as a very personal and individual sport, with team being second.  Given this individual perspective, my pecking order is:

1.) Ohio Kids.  (I'm an Ohio guy, and simply put, I either know them, or know people who know them, or know their families, etc.  Thus, I root for Ohio guys)

2.) tOSU... the pre-eminent program in the state, pulling the top Ohio guys (typically), as well as national level talent (a la Snyder, MyMar, etc.)

3.) Dominance... I supremely appreciate dominance.  Due to this, I feel no "hate" or "disdain" for other programs that do well.  In fact, if PSU is considered the tOSU nemesis, I view them as training/sparring partners.  I have zero connection with Zain, Nolf, Hall, Nickal, but I am keenly following them because of their dominance, or potential dominance.  I just... well... like seeing someone who can completely dismantle everyone in their path (living vicariously i suppose through their achievements). 

Same goes for rooting for other dominant individuals and programs. 

So I suppose it's about the "connection" first, and then the pureplay thrill of watching and rooting for excellence. 

I root for my team (Mizzou) first and foremost. But if a Mizzou wrestler isn't a top 20 type guy, I definitely might follow more of the results of individual wrestlers on other teams who are at a higher level, even if I would still root for the Mizzou wrestler in a match.

After that, I am a true fan of parity, so subsequently I tend to root for wrestlers who aren't the favorites (unless I really like that wrestler's style, i.e. IMar). I think having 1 wrestler dominate/head and shoulders above the rest of the competition makes things less interesting because it reduces the uncertainty of what's gonna happen. Even having 2 guys head and shoulders above the rest is infinitely better than just 1, in my opinion, because you don't know what'll happen and it's a more intense match

I tend to like wrestlers generally, although I mostly root for OU/OSU guys if I can. About the only wrestlers I dislike are **** talkers who can't back it up (Gilman) and hot headed pricks who have no sportsmanship (Metcalf, etc). I dislike lazy wrestlers as well.

I tend to like wrestlers generally, although I mostly root for OU/OSU guys if I can. About the only wrestlers I dislike are **** talkers who can't back it up (Gilman) and hot headed pricks who have no sportsmanship (Metcalf, etc). I dislike lazy wrestlers as well.

Not to hijack the topic, but Metcalf a "hot headed prick who has no sportsmanship"? Come on. I assume you're thinking of the Caldwell match. A true competitor never stops trying to score when they're down. And when they're stalking their opponent and he does a backflip with time left on the clock, why should he stop? It's the same as running away/putting yourself in bad position.