Sign in to follow this  
BigTenFanboy

Fan of Teams vs Fan of Wrestlers

What are you more a fan of? The Team/Program a wrestler belongs to, or the individual wrestlers themselves?

Personally I am a fan of the wrestlers over any team or school.

I will say this, while I would consider myself a PSU Fan, it's largely in part due to Cael Sanderson, as well as liking the majority of their wrestlers.

Definitely wrestlers.  I grew up without a program, and gravitated toward the individual.  First, Johnny Smith, and many more such as Cael, Metcalf, Taylor, Brewer, and many of the current PSU guys.  I am not dedicated to any program, but rather the coaches/wrestlers I like.  This said, I could see how it could be easily the opposite. 

I will NEVER root for a UofM wrestler unless he is on any of my "teams"(money talks) or wrestled for High School in Michigan.  Inevitably, I do root for Michigan often because they field the most/best of this category consistently.  Youtsey, Hall, Massa, Amine, Beazley and Coon.

I will always bleed green, but rooting for MSU has been soooo hard.  Even now that they have coaches that I like as people, they still aren't going to get anywhere near our little run in the 90's.

I started rooting for Iowa when Metcalf joined Brands through VTech(I honestly may have become a VTech fan instead if Brands stayed).  Sadly, Iowa has not brought in one Michigan wrestler since.  However, I do really like the Brands and always respected(even through the competitive hatred when competing) Iowa.

Stories like IMar's will draw me towards these type of wrestlers and make me a fan.

Lastly, I honestly would probably be a PSU fan if not for the Bubba scenario.  No matter how people defend it, that changed my perception of Sanderson and, even worse, ended up with me cheering against DT when he truly is a great wrestler and fun to watch.

My order:

1.)Wrestlers with Michigan ties

2.)MSU

3.)Iowa

4.)Feel good stories

5.)John Smith

Edited to add: 6.)Dean Heil- The more people picked against him because of the way he wins, the more I cheered for him.

Heil-I am actually starting to like him since so many don't but yet he always comes through. 

Kids I coached

Team second (OSU, the real one, not the Bucknuts or Beavers)

OK/KS kids wrestling anywhere (except Mark Perry :) )

Like to watch good wrestling-doesnt matter what team, or country.  May not root for anyone, just enjoy!

Yes, the kids I am associated with I would root for first. 

IMO. This is why the sport will not elevate above what it is now. People are fans of individuals. When those individuals leave they look elsewhere. Again, IMO, we need to create fans of programs. I'm a Mizzou alumni so I root for the tigers unless one of the wrestlers I coached are on a different team. To me,this is why duals are so important. Take an average joe to a dual meet and have them cheer on a program. In the "major sports" people follow the program not an individual. Sorry if this takes the thread off topic.

IMO. This is why the sport will not elevate above what it is now. People are fans of individuals. When those individuals leave they look elsewhere. Again, IMO, we need to create fans of programs. I'm a Mizzou alumni so I root for the tigers unless one of the wrestlers I coached are on a different team. To me,this is why duals are so important. Take an average joe to a dual meet and have them cheer on a program. In the "major sports" people follow the program not an individual. Sorry if this takes the thread off topic.

If I grew up in Iowa, I am pretty sure I would be an Iowa fan.  This said, many don't have major programs near them and will cheer for who appeals to them.  I personally like the self-assured wrestlers who win and are respectful.  This happens to be a lot of PSU wrestlers, but if this changed then so would I.  I never understood the DT hate.  Yes, Dake has had his number, but DT is a dynamic wrestler who appears to be a very solid guy. I prefer a guy like Cael over Brands, and this is because of his demeanor.  I respect Brands, but cringe with his  antics at times.  Johnny Smith was my favorite wrestler growing up, and I usually root for him to do well.  Anyway, I can see the point of the person who likes the wrestlers, first.   

I have mixed feelings about your post. On one side I agree that the sport can have difficulty advancing if it's a year where there's no one who is truly a dynamic star to follow, however I believe the back backbone of this sport is the wrestlers themselves. There will be years where there isn't a charismatic exciting face of the sport. Those are years where things will be stagnate. On The otherhand during years where there is a big star, the sport will have explosive growth. With a focus that is purely on teams and programs you will have fewer stagnant years, but you will also not have years with explosive growth.

As for the "major sports" I very much disagree. We live in the era of the free agent and the players absolutely come first. 25 years ago I would have agreed, but not today. No. Way no how.

Not to hijack the topic, but Metcalf a "hot headed prick who has no sportsmanship"? Come on. I assume you're thinking of the Caldwell match. A true competitor never stops trying to score when they're down. And when they're stalking their opponent and he does a backflip with time left on the clock, why should he stop? It's the same as running away/putting yourself in bad position.

That wasn't a shot, that was a push at the end, and there was no time left on the clock. That was pure spite, and anger at Caldwell celebrating. Plus, didn't Metcalf throw his headgear after the match too?

- First, pay attention and cheer for the wrestlers from St Paris Graham.

-Thee OSU and Wisconsin are my top two teams.

- Ohio wrestlers.

- At NCAA's normally I'll cheer for B10 competitors.

You going to the Johnny Appleseed classic this weekend? Can't make it to the dream. Got a 2-week business trip to Japan.  

I will NEVER root for a UofM wrestler unless he is on any of my "teams"(money talks) or wrestled for High School in Michigan. Inevitably, I do root for Michigan often because they field the most/best of this category consistently. Youtsey, Hall, Massa, Amine, Beazley and Coon.

Your total commitment to MSU is admirable, but come on man the only sport that we should always root against UofM in is football.

Your total commitment to MSU is admirable, but come on man the only sport that we should always root against UofM in is football.

Completely disagree.  Hearing chants of "If you can't get into Michigan you go to State!" WHILE wrestling cements all dislike into you if you had any doubt at the time!

I find Tom and (J)erry Brands' zany demeanors quite lovable.

c8c0e395cb35e89ab7c32d9f1da9e854.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha!  I had to collect all their cartoons for er...mmm...my grandson.  (At least that's what I told She He Must Be Obeyed.)

Besides, they remind me of one of Headshuck's (I believe) classic "separated at birth" posts.

tom-jerry-18-4-2014.jpg

Metcalf%20chasing%20Caldwell_zpsdplwwjdh

First and foremost we must take a moment to reflect for those that served and can't be with us today!!!

>>> The Program is what, will always be, what folks embrace

>>> PSU vs LU, tOSU, OSU Iowa etc...Roll into CHA and win 7 out of 10 matches you'll get attention

>>> Do you think folks that cheer for Alabama, Auburn etc...They expect and rightly so the Program will get it done

>>> No individual will make a Program so for you folks that think wrestling is a individual sport you'll get 800-900 fans

P.S. The Media coverage is near tier one and if more Programs get it together more great things will come!!!

Not to hijack the topic, but Metcalf a "hot headed prick who has no sportsmanship"? Come on. I assume you're thinking of the Caldwell match. A true competitor never stops trying to score when they're down. And when they're stalking their opponent and he does a backflip with time left on the clock, why should he stop? It's the same as running away/putting yourself in bad position.

That wasn't a shot, that was a push at the end, and there was no time left on the clock. That was pure spite, and anger at Caldwell celebrating. Plus, didn't Metcalf throw his headgear after the match too?

I'd have to agree that the "shove" appeared to be a reaction to Caldwell's celebration, as opposed to a relentlessly pursuing Metcalf attempting a legitimate takedown.  If one actually pays attention to the bout's waning seconds, its clear that Metcalf had given up by the time of the :05 restart.  He didn't pursue aggressively at all until after Caldwell began his preparatory run for a back flip.

temp-320-60161878.gif

It's also very evident that you're correct to state that the back flip didn't occur with time remaining on the clock - or even shortly thereafter for that matter. As shown in the below screen capture, after the clock had expired, Metcalf had only made it to just inside the circle (from the back of the mat where he belatedly began pursuing Caldwell).  Simultaneously, Caldwell had landed just outside the circle (on the other side), positioning himself to perform a roundoff back handspring to provide the upward momentum for his back flip.

Metcalf%20Caldwell%200%20sec%20remaining

More a fan of programs/coaches, but I certainly like specific wrestlers.

I'm a really big fan of Drew Pariano and followed NU closely while he was running the show. Once he left, I continued to follow because of Bryce Brill. His dad is a great guy and a friend of mine. Now that both of them are gone, I follow the Wildcats far more loosely these days.

I like wrestlers more than specific programs (though, it's surprising how many times people accuse me of being a homer for certain teams. I've been called a homer for Penn State, Mizzou, Minnesota and tOSU on this board over the years). More often than not I like to pick the team that's going to win it before season starts and somewhat pull for them to bring home the title, but I would say specific athletes interest me more than the teams they wrestle for (usually based on their style and attitude).