Sign in to follow this  
21guns

How does this Poke first half of the lineup sound?

And we're talking THIS YEAR:

125:  PICC

133:  DATON

141:  KAID

149:  MEAN DEAN

157:  SMITTY

I think that would be one HELL of a good first starting five, and all five in my view could AA, with 3 of the 5 having a chance to high AA.

Mean Dean will not / would not derail the Zain Train.  There's zero evidence of this occurring.  Now... I'd like to see the match, but... my gut tells me that it's going to look more like Zain vs. MiJo than anything else.

The rest of the lineup?

Picc at 125 is solid.  Low AA possibly... possibly...

Fix at 133... I cannot wait to see this happen... I could see him doing some very interesting and marvelous things (regardless of weight class)

Kaid at 141... sounds about right (given that he's going 65kg this weekend), and prolly a low/mid-AA (141 is stacked again)

Smitty at 157... mid-AA

Looks solid to me.

And we're talking THIS YEAR:

125:  PICC

133:  DATON

141:  KAID

149:  MEAN DEAN

157:  SMITTY

I think that would be one HELL of a good first starting five, and all five in my view could AA, with 3 of the 5 having a chance to high AA.

Probably the best lightweight lineup in the country, imo.

Which 3 do you have handily beating OSU guys?

You kidding?

Suriano, Zain and Nolf. And if you try to argue that, I don't know what to tell you

I wouldn't doubt you see bonus in all 3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by pish6969

You kidding?

Suriano, Zain and Nolf. And if you try to argue that, I don't know what to tell you

I wouldn't doubt you see bonus in all 3

Suriano is overrated. Piccininni was wrestling him even before Suriano injury defaulted in their last match. Plus, have to figure while Suriano is recovering that Piccininni has continued to improve, like he did all last season. Suriano was better than Picc at the beginning of last season..by the end Picc was better. He'll be better yet next year and he finished 4th at NCAAs this year. I don't know why people are so hesitant to credit Piccininni, plus he's fun to watch.

PSU was weak last year at 125, 133, and 141, straight up. OSU was better than them at all 3 weights at the end of the year. Look at national placements in those weights, look at the PSU/OSU dual. Granted Nolf is a lot better than Joe Smith, but I'm not even so sure that Zain could beat Heil, let alone beat him handily. Zain/Heil reminds me a lot of Taylor/Dake. Zain, like Taylor, gets all the love/hype...but Dake was better than Taylor. Remains to be seen on Zain/Heil, but I'd be inclined to make Zain the favorite.

That projected OSU lineup above: I easily see OSU going 3-2 vs PSU, maybe 4-1 if Heil pulls a Dake on Zain.

Suriano is overrated. Piccininni was wrestling him even before Suriano injury defaulted in their last match. Plus, have to figure while Suriano is recovering that Piccininni has continued to improve, like he did all last season. Suriano was better than Picc at the beginning of last season..by the end Picc was better. He'll be better yet next year and he finished 4th at NCAAs this year. I don't know why people are so hesitant to credit Piccininni, plus he's fun to watch.

PSU was weak last year at 125, 133, and 141, straight up. OSU was better than them at all 3 weights at the end of the year. Look at national placements in those weights, look at the PSU/OSU dual. Granted Nolf is a lot better than Joe Smith, but I'm not even so sure that Zain could beat Heil, let alone beat him handily. Zain/Heil reminds me a lot of Taylor/Dake. Zain, like Taylor, gets all the love/hype...but Dake was better than Taylor. Remains to be seen on Zain/Heil, but I'd be inclined to make Zain the favorite.

That projected OSU lineup above: I easily see OSU going 3-2 vs PSU, maybe 4-1 if Heil pulls a Dake on Zain.

Lol. Pass me whatever you're smoking!!

Suriano is an absolute step ahead of Picc even after Picc came on very strong at the end of last year.  Could Picc take another leap and pass him?  Anything is possible, but Suriano is just as likely to improve and stay ahead.  Swap Fix and Picc and it's a more interesting first 5 dual (and yes it's pathetic that you have to eliminate half of the lineup just to get interesting with PSU).

As for Zain and Heil, it's all Zain all day.  Heil does not have the size or physicality to even pay the admission price for that match.  If we could just magically make Heil 6% bigger in frame and height, then it'd be an intriguing match.  I think Heil might be the best bottom wrestler in the country at any weight, and he's a great counter guy who might make Zain pay for diving in on legs.  Then again, Zain might just suck in the leg like he does on anyone.  But Heil doesn't have the frame for that match even if he committed to wrestling at 149 all season.  I think bumping up to face Zain in the all-star match would be an actual health risk.  Make them wrestle at scratch 145 lbs for the November 1 all-star dual and maybe Heil can get out of there with his shoulders in tact.  Zain is not the guy you want to give away size to.

A pretty strong lineup where an All-American (Geo Martinez) couldn't squeeze into the lineup, even with Collica graduating, huh?

Alas, the other half of their lineup is where they have some (for them) holes.

Geo to 157 and Smith to 165/RS

125- Fix

133- Picc

141- Brock

149- Heil

157- Geo/Blaylock

165- Smith

174- Rogers

184- Ja. Smith

197- Marsden

Hwt- Weigel

You don't put half the team in weight classes that are worse for them to fit in an extra 125.  Smith would benefit from a move up, but I think it happens after a RS.  Combine that with a Fix RS and everything fits just fine.  You let Lewallen/Geo/Moran fight it out at 149 and the losers and Blaylock fight it out at 157.

125 Picc

133 Brock

141 Heil

149 Lewallen/Martinez/Moran

157 losers of above plus Blaylock

165 Rogers

174 Jacobe Smith

184 Marsden/Keegan Moore

197 Weigel

285 Derek White (word is he'll gain as much as he can and be a 210 lb short heavy since he can't beat Weigel)

That lineup still probably gets 3rd-5th.  And in a year where they can't touch PSU (and probably can't touch tOSU), why ruin individuals in the name of a few more points in your 3rd place finish?

Now in 2018-19 it gets very interesting and you'll definitely see guys transferring out if they aren't gone this year.

125 Fix (unless international weight makes him fit better up a weight)

133 Picc

141 Brock

149 Lewallen/Geo/Gadenfeller

157 one of the above 3

165 Smith

174 Rogers

184 Jacobe Smith

197 Weigel

285 still a problem

That lineup could maybe compete if PSU comes back to earth (more and more unlikely each passing day).  

No way Weigel moves to HWT.

Whatever happened to Boo Lewallen? Didn't he win at CKLV last year? When is he going to crack OSU's starting lineup?

I hope he's either the OSU 149 or the OU 141 next year.  He's too good to spend another year out of the lineup.

Edited by boconnell

Suriano is an absolute step ahead of Picc even after Picc came on very strong at the end of last year.  Could Picc take another leap and pass him?  Anything is possible, but Suriano is just as likely to improve and stay ahead.  Swap Fix and Picc and it's a more interesting first 5 dual (and yes it's pathetic that you have to eliminate half of the lineup just to get interesting with PSU).

As for Zain and Heil, it's all Zain all day.  Heil does not have the size or physicality to even pay the admission price for that match.  If we could just magically make Heil 6% bigger in frame and height, then it'd be an intriguing match.  I think Heil might be the best bottom wrestler in the country at any weight, and he's a great counter guy who might make Zain pay for diving in on legs.  Then again, Zain might just suck in the leg like he does on anyone.  But Heil doesn't have the frame for that match even if he committed to wrestling at 149 all season.  I think bumping up to face Zain in the all-star match would be an actual health risk.  Make them wrestle at scratch 145 lbs for the November 1 all-star dual and maybe Heil can get out of there with his shoulders in tact.  Zain is not the guy you want to give away size to.

I don't always agree with you 100 percent, but on this post I give a big thumbs up. Total agreement.