Sign in to follow this  
VakAttack

Inside the Relentlessly Intricate World of Tom Brands

http://www.press-citizen.com/story/sports/college/columnists/chad-leistikow/2017/06/02/complex-world-tom-brands-iowa-wrestling-coach/362703001/

Really interesting article that's a deep dive on Tom Brands.  Some interesting recruiting nuggets and insights onto what a coach has to go through.

Great article. Not an Iowa fan, but always respected and appreciated the Brands Brothers. It's a shame so much of their fan base has been calling for their heads.

Great competitor and the best interviews bar none

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have no problem with Brands getting the beat from the fan base. Not sure of the exact amount but I am pretty sure his salary is over $250.000. When any coach makes that much money, WIN OR BE GONE. Otherwise coach high school or get a union job somewhere.

I concur, great article. It amazes me, I guess it really doesn't considering how big a homer some here are, how people who are fans of other schools hate on the Brands brothers. However, I'd bet that if T & T were to come to their school, the "fans" there would be sniffing their jocks like there was no tomorrow.

Why is it that almost every time I hear that Iowa fans want Brands gone, it is not FROM an Iowa fan?

Honestly, nearly every Iowa fan I have spoken too is very happy with Brands. In fact, most are knowledgeable enough to realize the shift in powers in wrestling hasn't been an Iowa issue as much as a geographic one. PSU and tOSU were inevitable giants as soon as the right coaches took over. Iowa and Brands have made a conscious effort to minimize this advantage very recently and it has shown in some marquee Ohio and Pennsylvania recruits.

Simply put, these guys are the best fit for Iowa and aren't going anywhere anytime soon. And if they do, it will be because they want to and NOT from any imagined fan pressure.

Why is it that almost every time I hear that Iowa fans want Brands gone, it is not FROM an Iowa fan.

Cmon man. Now you gonna pretend your an ostrich? Go to HR after every NCAAs the last 3 yrs. you telling me HR aren't Iowa fans?

BWI board has nothing but respect for the Brands brothers. Not one negative thread I can find there on them. That being said I could pull up dozens on HR

Cmon man. Now you gonna pretend your an ostrich? Go to HR after every NCAAs the last 3 yrs. you telling me HR aren't Iowa fans?

BWI board has nothing but respect for the Brands brothers. Not one negative thread I can find there on them. That being said I could pull up dozens on HR

The ones doing it are people that never post and just show up after NCAA's to trash them. I wouldn't put it past most of them to not even BE Iowa fans to begin with.

Go and read the posts about fundraising or the HWC or recruiting. Pretty sure brands is getting overwhelming support from his fanbase.

Go and read the posts about fundraising or the HWC or recruiting. Pretty sure brands is getting overwhelming support from his fanbase.

I agree with this. Iowa fans should bend over backwards to keep him.

My only contention was you saying that it's always non Iowa fans calling for his head. I see the opposite.

Hehe...my single leg was about like that white robot's when I started wrestling :D

I think the Brands boys are a lot of fun and bring flavor to the sport. I dislike the way some of their athletes conduct themselves though, but other than being a hardass what can you do in this age of social media?

Edited by TobusRex

Good Lord Man! You have no clue!

Good Lord Man! You have no clue!

What did I say that was false?

Are you telling me there are threads calling for Brands head on BWI? You know that's not true

Are there threads calling for Brands Head on HR? You know that is true

So what do I have no clue about?

His passion sounds great, and you can tell he cares deeply about his athletes that are willing to meet his expectation of commitment, but the truth is probably that his management style runs too many people into the ground. 

Spencer Lee will be the ultimate test.  The article is right that he has never had somebody this talented to train before...I'm hoping for the best.

However, I think the "without winning, my life means little" mentality just doesn't work in practice as well as it sounds on paper or in an interview.  I hope that's what Mark Perry can bring to that program...To provide a different perspective that values technique/development over grinding/winning every second of every practice.  

Edited by Billyhoyle