Sign in to follow this  
VakAttack

Inside the Relentlessly Intricate World of Tom Brands

What did I say that was false?

Are you telling me there are threads calling for Brands head on BWI? You know that's not true

Are there threads calling for Brands Head on HR? You know that is true

So what do I have no clue about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What did you say that was false? 

This:

"It's a shame so much of their fan base has been calling for their heads."

BS

The percentage of Iowa fans calling for their heads is somewhere between zero and miniscule. I read the HR regularly, and Brands bros are appreciated overwhelmingly. 

After watching the "Terry" documentary on Flo, I had the impression that Tom was a whole hell of a lot deeper than which most people were willing to give him credit. This article ices what I thought. I really enjoyed the read and appreciate Tom Brands.

What did I say that was false?

Are you telling me there are threads calling for Brands head on BWI? You know that's not true

Are there threads calling for Brands Head on HR? You know that is true

So what do I have no clue about?

Why would BWI have a thread calling for Tom Brands head? I visit both boards everyday(many can confirm that)and would testify that you are talking out of your ass.

What did you say that was false?

This:

"It's a shame so much of their fan base has been calling for their heads."

BS

The percentage of Iowa fans calling for their heads is somewhere between zero and miniscule. I read the HR regularly, and Brands bros are appreciated overwhelmingly.

166 posts in this thread. I can get more if you'd like.

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/might-be-time-for-a-change.185061/

Good to see the real side of them as judging book by the cover seldom works.  However, as they know, they have a rep that works against them.  And I believe it's worked against them and used against them in recruiting.

Why hasn't the AD sat them down and said you need to adapt, change your style a bit and hire an asst who is more affable and a recruiting machine.  If this was in place, they'd be in line with PSU.  But they're not.  PSU has 7-8 maybe 9 studs who can win it all.  Iowa - half that at best.

Good to see the real side of them as judging book by the cover seldom works. However, as they know, they have a rep that works against them. And I believe it's worked against them and used against them in recruiting.

Why hasn't the AD sat them down and said you need to adapt, change your style a bit and hire an asst who is more affable and a recruiting machine. If this was in place, they'd be in line with PSU. But they're not. PSU has 7-8 maybe 9 studs who can win it all. Iowa - half that at best.

No way. I agree their style is unorthodox but I think it's what makes them them and it's what makes Iowa wrestling Iowa wrestling. They don't break the law, they pay their bills and taxes, law abiding citizens and are good christians so I don't think they need to change anything. I love their crazy coaching ways cause it gives enthusiasm to the sport. Not to mention I think their crazy minds is what helped drive to get kemerer and Lee, driving all night at the drop of a hat and owning Brands owning his mistakes. I love it. Not bashing just trying to get you see it from another side.

Not sure of the exact amount but I am pretty sure his salary is over $250.000. When any coach makes that much money, WIN OR BE GONE. Otherwise coach high school or get a union job somewhere.

Google it.  Guaranteed pay is under $250k.  After bonuses, its over.   

"When any coach makes that much money, WIN OR BE GONE. Otherwise coach high school or get a union job somewhere."

What does that even mean?  

Edited by stp

Good to see the real side of them as judging book by the cover seldom works.  However, as they know, they have a rep that works against them.  And I believe it's worked against them and used against them in recruiting.

Why hasn't the AD sat them down and said you need to adapt, change your style a bit and hire an asst who is more affable and a recruiting machine.  If this was in place, they'd be in line with PSU.  But they're not.  PSU has 7-8 maybe 9 studs who can win it all.  Iowa - half that at best.

You literally just described Ryan Morningstar who is already on the staff. 

I'm pulling for Iowa, I am.

But when you're a leader you have to adapt and change with the times.  Especially if you want to catch the competition (PSU)  Bottom line, Iowa does not have 7,8 or more studs that can win it all like PSU does.  They have to ask themselves, what do we have to do/change to get to the next level?

Maybe Brands should go talk to a top D1 football or basketball coach to get a different perspective on recruiting.  They jump on a plane and in a car all  the time to land the big studs.

Because Cael is in a place now where the best of the best want to come to him.  I bet he doesn't have to do a lot of hard selling.  That's where you want your program to be.

I'm pulling for Iowa, I am.

But when you're a leader you have to adapt and change with the times.  Especially if you want to catch the competition (PSU)  Bottom line, Iowa does not have 7,8 or more studs that can win it all like PSU does.  They have to ask themselves, what do we have to do/change to get to the next level?

Maybe Brands should go talk to a top D1 football or basketball coach to get a different perspective on recruiting.  They jump on a plane and in a car all  the time to land the big studs.

Because Cael is in a place now where the best of the best want to come to him.  I bet he doesn't have to do a lot of hard selling.  That's where you want your program to be.

Sorry, but comparisons to football recruiting are not reasonable.  Their budget and salary dwarfs what Brands has to work with, even at the lower tiers.  For them, it actually is next to nothing to travel whenever they want.

8 or more studs who can win an NCAA title?

Suriano (not likely), ZR, Nolf, Cenzo (not likely), Hall, Nickal (not gonna happen again tho), and who else? Cortez, Nick Lee, Nevills?

I see 6 potential and no guarantees.

Edited by HawkFanactic1

PSU NCAA Champs next season:

Retherford, Nolf and Nickal.  Sorry, but I just don't see them losing.  

If rumors are true that Joseph and Hall are switching weights, I just don't see either of them winning.  That isn't to say they won't be contenders, but I absolutely believe Massa and IMar match up better with Hall than anyone at 174 and Joseph just doesn't look big enough to me to match up with BoJo.  Still, they both could win it and I wouldn't be surprised.

Suriano is definitely a contender.  Top 4 as long as he has no lasting effects from the injury.

Nevills will be a mid level AA, but he isn't touching the top couple guys.

133 and 141 aren't reaching the podium.

McCutcheon probably AA's at 197.  If Cassar, who knows.

Incoming redshirts and recruits:

Manville needs weight watchers before you can project anything.

Lee has a ways to go before he is AA potential let alone NCAA Champ.

Berge will gain mightily from following Retherford/Nolf.  Still, project Champ material is a stretch.

Seth Nevills looks like he may actually become the best 285 that PSU has had.

Teasdale should be really good.  Just not sure on what weight he will be.

Wittlake is very hard to gauge.  Guy is a stud, but this age group is VERY HARD to project results at the DI level.

Beard, RBY and Verkleeren are all top shelf, but again, very hard to predict results.

They are the best team, that is undeniable.  But Retherford and Nolf are really the only ones as close as you can get to unbeatable.  Nickal is a clear favorite, but he does have kryptonite at his weight.  Suriano, Hall and Joseph will have some very stiff competition.  8 was definitely a stretch, but no one has the potential that PSU has!

Edited by MSU158

PSU NCAA Champs next season:

Retherford, Nolf and Nickal. Sorry, but I just don't see them losing.

If rumors are true that Joseph and Hall are switching weights, I just don't see either of them winning. That isn't to say they won't be contenders, but I absolutely believe Massa and IMar match up better with Hall than anyone at 174 and Joseph just doesn't look big enough to me to match up with BoJo. Still, they both could win it and I wouldn't be surprised.

Suriano is definitely a contender. Top 4 as long as he has no lasting effects from the injury.

Nevills will be a mid level AA, but he isn't touching the top couple guys.

133 and 141 aren't reaching the podium.

McCutcheon probably AA's at 197. If Cassar, who knows.

Incoming redshirts and recruits:

Manville needs weight watchers before you can project anything.

Lee has a ways to go before he is AA potential let alone NCAA Champ.

Berge will gain mightily from following Retherford/Nolf. Still, project Champ material is a stretch.

Seth Nevills looks like he may actually become the best 285 that PSU has had.

Teasdale should be really good. Just not sure on what weight he will be.

Wittlake is very hard to gauge. Guy is a stud, but this age group is VERY HARD to project results at the DI level.

Beard, RBY and Verkleeren are all top shelf, but again, very hard to predict results.

They are the best team, that is undeniable. But Retherford and Nolf are really the only ones as close as you can get to unbeatable. Nickal is a clear favorite, but he does have kryptonite at his weight. Suriano, Hall and Joseph will have some very stiff competition. 8 was definitely a stretch, but no one has the potential that PSU has!

Seth Nevills will not be better than Kerry McCoy.