Sign in to follow this  
TBar1977

Sanderson effect in full force at PSU

Suriano's' ankle is still recovering and Lee's knee may never be the same. Could be that both these guys could merely become wrestling trivia.

Cael has indicated that Suriano will be ready to go for the start of the season.

Cael had indicated that Suriano would be ready to go for the 2017 NCAA's.

And he was held out as a precaution so that he would be ready for this season.

He's ready for this season.

Cael Sanderson thinks Suriano will win NCAA Championships. I will trust his point of view. The man has a great track record.

All coach speak ;)   He also thought Suriano's broken foot would heal enough to compete 4 weeks later.  

So great track record, yes.  Infallible?  Not quite...

I bet Suriano is ranked #1 after the PSU-Lehigh match next year, at the latest. 

I don't disagree.  But as we saw, being ranked #1 during the season, and finishing #1, are pretty different animals.  Only a 50% proposition last year.

I don't think anyone is saying Suriano wouldn't be the favorite heading into next season, seeing as how the only wrestler he lost against (excluding injury) graduated. But he's not a lock by any means, even without NaTo making the cut down.

Cruz showed that he can make adjustments and he really did have a great tourney; we'll see if he can repeat it.

Lizak, if I remembered correctly, also hammered Suriano from top and kept the match close in terms of score, 8-6.

Suriano is the favorite (even over the defending champ!), but he's not untouchable.

I don't think anyone is saying Suriano wouldn't be the favorite heading into next season, seeing as how the only wrestler he lost against (excluding injury) graduated. But he's not a lock by any means, even without NaTo making the cut down.

Suriano is the favorite (even over the defending champ!), but he's not untouchable.

Many people are saying Cruz is the favorite, mostly by the anti PSU crowd or people who don't know talent. The nice part about those people is that myth will be debunked very early on season as PSU and Lehigh will match up early on.

You are correct. No one is untouchable. I shouldn't have said no one will sniff Suriano. I should have said if Suriano wrestles his best I don't see anyone coming close to beating him. People can have a bad match (example Gilman vs Cruz), injury or illness.

In other words Suriano at 100% best vs anyone else at weight at 100% I take Suriano

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cruz showed that he can make adjustments and he really did have a great tourney; we'll see if he can repeat it.

Lizak, if I remembered correctly, also hammered Suriano from top and kept the match close in terms of score, 8-6.

Lizak - Suriano could be interesting. Can Lizak develop a better neutral game? Will Suriano be better on bottom? I figure Suriano will be better from most positions using the in-general-true-freshman-to-sophomore-improve-the-most postulate. Don't know much about Lizak but what if he develops a Zain-like turn and pin to go with his dominant ride? He is an intriguing talent.

Lizak - Suriano could be interesting. Can Lizak develop a better neutral game? Will Suriano be better on bottom? I figure Suriano will be better from most positions using the in-general-true-freshman-to-sophomore-improve-the-most postulate. Don't know much about Lizak but what if he develops a Zain-like turn and pin to go with his dominant ride? He is an intriguing talent.

I agree that it is an intriguing match-up to see how they fare against each other again. I know Lizak said that he was itching to go against Suriano in the NCAAs after their first match. I'm not sure about Lizak being able to take Suriano down though; I don't view his neutral as particularly good, and Suriano's defense is pretty outstanding.

I'm more interested in how Cruz will try to beat Suriano this season. Although it was 7-0 shutout, Suriano got an escape, one takedown, and then capitalized on it with catching Cruz on his back after putting in a leg turk. I think the next match would be much closer, although still leaning towards Nick.

The key for Nick vs Lizak is to stay off/or get out of bottom very very quickly---Just like Cruz did in the finals...   But Cruz and Nick-----yes yes very interesting this year----Cruz seemed to improve greatly on his feet last season

The Cael Effect is truly amazing:  A great guy also, as well as being the greatest coach in the sport.  His wrestlers are a certain kind of person...it's not just about the talent.  There is a certain kind of kid that Cael and Cody and Casey look for...a philosophy.  It's about having fun, scoring points, and wrestling free.  It's the new school of wrestling.  I sort of look at it, like how method acting and Brando, changed movies and acting, back in the 1950's.  It's revolutionary, really.  Here in State College, we are truly fortunate to bear witness to it, a golden age of the sport, at the Mecca of the sport.  6 of 7 with no end in sight, and Camelot!  

NCAAs?

Oh, that tournament Penn State has won 6 of the previous 7 seasons.

Which is what Coach Sanderson has been doing at Penn State.

Why not change it to 6 of the past 8 seasons so you take Cael's entire coaching career at PSU? What he has done is remarkable - in Gable territory. Doubt though that his teams will take 9 in a row though it is possible.

Remember the frustration in wrestling circles as Iowa under Gable(started with Gary Kurdlemeier who hired him) and all the 'he must be cheating somehow' crap going around. If Dan Gable had started the dynasty with the Internet in full swing we would be seeing computers melting down with the vitriol. Cael is quiet and laid back, Gable was 'in your face' and challenged things loud and long - even to the point of getting stall calls on his own wrestlers. He would be a PR nightmare for the school today. Cael is a PR gem as he's quiet and his teams win.

All in all Cael Sanderson at Penn State is good for wrestling. A budding dynasty from a school that was occasionally good but never good enough. A target for everyone else to shoot at with 2-4 programs realistically having a shot at them. PSU comes in and the stands fill to see the top dogs and how the local guys will do against them. Win or lose it is good for the program.