CoachWrestling

Oliver out of WTTs

Also, this is from the Trials Procedures:

Only a 2016 Olympic/world medalist who earned an automatic berth into thefinal wrestle-off can request a delay for competing in the Final Wrestle-Off for medical reasons at least 48 hours prior to the scheduled weigh-in time (no request for delay will be allowed, or granted, with less than 48 hours before weigh-in).

Oliver should not be granted a delay according to the rules.

http://content.themat.com/forms/2017WTTProcedures.pdf

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Also, this is from the Trials Procedures:

Only a 2016 Olympic/world medalist who earned an automatic berth into thefinal wrestle-off can request a delay for competing in the Final Wrestle-Off for medical reasons at least 48 hours prior to the scheduled weigh-in time (no request for delay will be allowed, or granted, with less than 48 hours before weigh-in).

Oliver should not be granted a delay according to the rules.

http://content.themat.com/forms/2017WTTProcedures.pdf

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Then why did Marable get one?

I don't know for a fact why he pulled out, but it is no secret that he has been dealing with a shoulder situation since the Schultz (possibly longer).

The reason he pulled out will be known in time, but I highly doubt it was weight.

I agree with previous posts that based on 2017 rules, I don't see how he wins his petition, but strange things seem to happen in situations like this.

Also agree that he loses his advantage in a wrestle off if one were to be granted. Plus how much training he could do between now and then would be another question.

I'm as big of a huge JO fan as you will find. This situation is heartbreaking. Feel so bad for the guy. I feel like I'm gonna puke myself. I can only imagine how he feels.

Devastating news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Angry_Fish

As for timing, I assume this story broke on Wed bc he notified USA wrestling today---outside the 48 hour window. As I mentioned above, I don't think that will help him much given that he is not a 2016 medal winner anyway. But if he plans to petition (and it sounds like he does), it makes sense to take the 48 hour issue out of play by pulling out today.

I know the story broke wed night but I'm willing to bet he notified USA wrestling wed afternoon.

The only hope I see for JO is that in the Marable/Green situation, Marable clearly did not comply with the rules that should have allowed him to be granted a wrestle-off, yet he was granted one anyway.

I can't seem to find the arbitrators actual statement regarding her ruling, but I seem to remember that she basically disregarded the letter of the law(procedures) and relied upon her feelings about fairness and spirit of competition. It was a bizarre ruling that did not sit well in the wrestling community.

I don't know how the arbitrator is selected but if USA wrestling has a say in it, I'm sure it won't be the same person this time around.

Btw, arbitration only occurs if the initial petition is denied--which I am 99.99999999999999999% sure it will be in this case.

This is just awful.

Does anyone have proof that he did not pull out within 48 hours of weigh ins? Can't just go on when Flo reported the story. Zeke is well aware of the rules I am sure.

It does not matter when he pulled out. He is not eligible for a delay because he is not a 2016 medalist. I'm sure he did withdraw more than 48 hours ahead of time in preparation for attempting to get a delay he is not eligible for.

It does not matter when he pulled out. He is not eligible for a delay because he is not a 2016 medalist. I'm sure he did withdraw more than 48 hours ahead of time in preparation for attempting to get a delay he is not eligible for.

My bad, i missed that part. Guess if they play it by the book, he is out.

Irregardless of the current rules, I believe Oliver will win his case for a wrestle off. He can use Marable's example as a precedent when it comes to arbitration.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk