Sign in to follow this  
KTG119

Olympics to add 3 on 3 basketball

Actually it had direct impact on wrestling

https://stillmed.olympic.org/media/Document%20Library/OlympicOrg/Games/Summer-Games/Games-Tokyo-2020-Olympic-Games/Tokyo-2020-event-programme.pdf

they cut few quotas from the wrestling, with this only 16 wrestlers will be in Tokyo in each category. we had at least 19 per weights in Rio

Seriously with a 16 man bracket, they should easily be able to do full wrestle backs for bronze. Ridiculous how things shake out like this.

Seriously with a 16 man bracket, they should easily be able to do full wrestle backs for bronze. Ridiculous how things shake out like this.

The IOC wants wrestling to be done in an hour so they can resume swimming and tiddly winks competitions

I love how swimming got even more events than they already had.

Swimming is one of three sports, along with Gymnastics and Track & Field, that drives ratings during the Olympics.

Stars also drive ratings in the Olympics.

By adding the Women's 1,500 Freestyle, the Olympics just handed Katie Ledecky another gold medal, and a lot of people will be watching.

Sadly, UWW has been smartly proactive about this.

I'll guarantee five weight classes are coming for 2024.  With 10 weight classes, only the "even" weights will be wrestled during the Olympics, allowing smaller athletes to bump up to the next weight class.  Hopefully, that's where the carnage will end.

BTW, did anyone see the Mixed Team event that's new for Judo?  Some food for thought for UWW.

I know it appears ludicrous from our perspective, but FIBA 3x3 basketball has been around for some time and is pretty popular in Europe, so it's not exactly like they're adding H-O-R-S-E to the games or some other gimmick.  Euro's will be more competitive and the US isn't likely to roll through everybody.  It will be interesting to see if any of the big guns play or if it ends up being mid-tier pros that participate. I'll watch either way.  

They already only count regular basketball as only a 1 medal event other than one medal per person on the winning squad. Which easily slants the table towards having less team than individual ones. Individual events are counted one medal per winner which dramatically increases their medal count.

3 on 3 wasn't even considered an option last time they were looking into sports. I'd much rather see squash or even adding baseball back in than a adding another basketball element which will End up as a USA NBA team victory.

Edited by MadMardigain

I know it appears ludicrous from our perspective, but FIBA 3x3 basketball has been around for some time and is pretty popular in Europe, so it's not exactly like they're adding H-O-R-S-E to the games or some other gimmick.  Euro's will be more competitive and the US isn't likely to roll through everybody.  It will be interesting to see if any of the big guns play or if it ends up being mid-tier pros that participate. I'll watch either way.

FIBA 3x3 is half court basketball, right? I figure the playground style, spacing and pace with the quick shot clock (I assume) would play right into the hands of the USA if its NBA players. Maybe even AAU kids.

FIBA 3x3 is half court basketball, right? I figure the playground style, spacing and pace with the quick shot clock (I assume) would play right into the hands of the USA if its NBA players. Maybe even AAU kids.

Yep--correct on both counts.  Here are the core rules:

(1) Half-court, with one basket.

(2) Slightly smaller ball

(3) No jump balls at any time (in any held ball situation, the defensive team is granted possession)

(4) Every successful shot inside the arc is awarded one point, while every successful shot behind the arc is awarded two points.

(5) The game is a single period of 10 minutes with sudden death at 21 points. 

(6) 12-second shot clock is used.

(7) If the defense gains possession of the ball within the arc, by a steal, a block or a rebound, the team must move the ball behind the arc before being allowed to take a shot.

(8) Individual personal foul counts are not kept. In other words, players cannot be disqualified on the basis of personal fouls. However, a player who commits two unsportsmanlike fouls is disqualified.

(9) Fouls during the act of shooting inside the arc are awarded 1 free throw, whilst fouls during the act of shooting behind the arc are awarded 2 free throws

I was thinking our best squad would be something like Kawhi / KD / AD but given that the scoring is 1's and 2's, Steph Curry would be so damn good, even if he's a total liability on D. 

Edited by steamboat_charlie

Yep--correct on both counts.  Here are the core rules:

(1) Half-court, with one basket.

(2) Slightly smaller ball

(3) No jump balls at any time (in any held ball situation, the defensive team is granted possession)

(4) Every successful shot inside the arc is awarded one point, while every successful shot behind the arc is awarded two points.

(5) The game is a single period of 10 minutes with sudden death at 21 points. 

(6) 12-second shot clock is used.

(7) If the defense gains possession of the ball within the arc, by a steal, a block or a rebound, the team must move the ball behind the arc before being allowed to take a shot.

(8) Individual personal foul counts are not kept. In other words, players cannot be disqualified on the basis of personal fouls. However, a player who commits two unsportsmanlike fouls is disqualified.

(9) Fouls during the act of shooting inside the arc are awarded 1 free throw, whilst fouls during the act of shooting behind the arc are awarded 2 free throws

I was thinking our best squad would be something like Kawhi / KD / AD but given that the scoring is 1's and 2's, Steph Curry would be so damn good, even if he's a total liability on D. 

Dude you know WWWWAAAAYYYY too much about BB for a wrestler.

You must be an inter-sport spy trying to undermine our way of life. 

I wonder if it would make sense to propose a system like Soccer has where all countries can enter all weights in qualifying tournaments just before and the top 16 move to the competition during the actual games?

This is different than the current qualifying system where a country qualifies its teams through the most recent worlds, continental championships, last chance qualifiers, etc.  What I'm suggesting is that everyone who enters the qualifying event would actually be the Olympian from his/her country and that athlete would move on to the final rounds at the games.  Each country would enter only one qualifier, I assume geographically set up, although that could ultimately water down the finals.  They would not have to wrestle the qualifiers to conclusion, only down to the final 4 (if 4 qualifiers) or 2 (if 8 qualifiers with a true second match).

This way there would actually be more "Olympians" since each country could enter a full team but the IOC would have its goal of cutting numbers.  In  our country, once he/she made the team, our Olympian would have his/her fate in his own hands as to whether or not he got to the actual games.

Then I would look for a true wrestle back from the round of 16 or at least from the quarters.

Edited by bill_crum

This is pure speculation, but I bet the Olympics would love to replace wrestling with MMA; it's just much more popular.

I've been saying this for a few years now, especially when the sport was temporarily dropped a few years ago. Once UFC grabs a foothold in Europe, watch the domino effect with all combat sports being moved to MMA on the Olympic level.