pamela

2017 MFS World Team Trials

I haven't found the brackets yet, but the Challenge Tournament seeds are posted on the USAW site here

EDIT: FloArena brackets

We may get to see Dake - IMar tomorrow! And maybe Ringer - Marsteller!

Also hoping that Heil - Rutherford are on the same half of the bracket because they could run into each other early.

Edited by pamela

Thanks @NJDan - I see them now

Looks like Rutherford and Heil are on opposite sides of the bracket.

The top half of 57 looks fun, starting with Cruz - Gilman, then Graff, and then possibly Nico. Wow!

I don't see where having to go through a rather small bracket in the challenge tournament is going to have much effect on the Dake/Burroughs or Taylor/Cox match-ups. Dake and Taylor are clearly ahead of the field thus have fairly easy paths to finals. It's not the meat grinder it is in years right before the Olympics and Olympic years.

It's not the meat grinder it is in years right before the Olympics and Olympic years.

I was thinking along the same lines, until I saw Jimmy Kennedy's road.  Dylan Ness, Jason Nolf, and Nazar Kulchytskyy before seeing James Green?  That's a dangerous first round match for anyone, then a terrible cardiovascular test, and a solid, strong, freestyle-savvy final matchup...and then you get the Bronze medalist.

I was thinking along the same lines, until I saw Jimmy Kennedy's road.  Dylan Ness, Jason Nolf, and Nazar Kulchytskyy before seeing James Green?  That's a dangerous first round match for anyone, then a terrible cardiovascular test, and a solid, strong, freestyle-savvy final matchup...and then you get the Bronze medalist.

That's why I was specific to just those two marquee match ups. Some of the other weights are a little more competitive in challenge tournament and the guy on top gets the edge.

This is going to be a great day for wrestling fans. There are so many good matches and so many bad matches lined up today it's a can't miss. My 2c:

1. Marsteller can beat Valencia and give Ringer a run for his money.

2. Nolf is the dark horse who could win the mini-tournament and give Green fits.

3. Retherford is going to make the world team.

4. Nahshon Garrett is my guy to win the mini tournament.

Some details.

Valencia - Marsteller could be a good one. Valencia stuck Marsteller recently but he looked horrendous and go pinned off his own throw. 

But before anyone goes counting Chance out, check out this match with IMart from less than a year ago:

Chance loses 14-11 but is in there the whole time. I think that if Marsteller enters in shape and ready to wrestle he could beat Valencia and then give Ringer a go. Just saying.

Onto Nolf... 

At the US Open for the most part Nolf gave up points by sucking at freestyle. There's nothing about his style that requires this. Nolf's style is most similar on the freestyle circuit to Yazdani. Heavy hands, constant motion. Yazdani doesn't give up dumb-ass points off his own shots the way Nolf does. That's the difference. Nolf came very close to beating Green in the semis of the US Open and then lost to Pami in the consi finals, where virtually 100% of Pami's points were body locks and crotch lifts off Nolf's offense. Nolf is obviously committed to getting better at freestyle or he wouldn't be bothering in the first place. These issues are obvious and how to fix them isn't rocket science. If he did the work, can close the gap.

As for Retherford ...

Let's face it, the kid is a rocket ship headed to the moon. He came super close to defeating JO at the US Open and many of us believe he did beat him. Molinaro is good and strong but Zain is a force. 

Garrett, well, it's just a hunch.

personally, at 57kg, id like to see Graff. his style is conducive to international forums. 61kg... so long as Logie Bear is Logie Bear, no one in the US stands a chance. 65kg, couldnt agree more on Zain, and would love it if this year is his grand entrance to the world. if not, Molinaro is still a super stud and has proven his moxy. 70kg... Nolf is special. Period. although this may not be his year, look out world, as he is arriving. 74kg, i think is Burroughs, but match 2 between he and dake may prove interesting. if dake takes match 2, dake has this! at 86kg, i definitley am rotting for DT and do believe his current version is better than Cox. 97kg is Snyder 100%, and Gwiz is my pick at hwt.