pamela

2017 MFS World Team Trials

OK. I'm certainly not infallible. But all I know is before RIo I said JB would not win (did not foresee him imploding completely, but who could have anticipated that?) and that Cox could win a Bronze. Idiocy aside I have been relatively honest. I put down the marker again. Let's see how it turns out. 

You could have predicted every olympic match right, and if you walked away from the olympics and your analysis was that Cox backed into a bronze medal, then you'd be an idiot.

You could have predicted every olympic match right, and if you walked away from the olympics and your analysis was that Cox backed into a bronze medal, then you'd be an idiot.

He was very fortunate to win the second bronze. Sorry. I think his opponent is still protesting to this day. Marker placed. 

What does that have to do with the mini-tournament?  JB and Dake went into the US Open on equal footing.  You can dislike the reffing in all 4 JB-Dake matches this year, but the problem is not the mini tournament.  JB won/the refs gave it to him with no rest at the US Open even easier than today.  The only time Dake has ever won a match against him was when JB was rested and Dake was coming off the mini-tournament.  

Maybe they coddle him.  Maybe they outright tell the refs to cheat for him.  Either way the mini-tournament has a 0% influence on why Dake isn't repping the USA.

JB got beat in Vegas. Plain and simple. The refs handed it to him. 

Edited by straggler

In a corrupt system it is an accomplishment to be honest.

This time Burroughs actually scored points more points than Dake. I agree the officiating at the US Open was suspect, but I was pretty ok with what I saw tonight in the Dake Burroughs series. And mind you I was rooting for Dake.

I just rewatched the last two minutes of the Cox/Taylor match...I don't get what the giant issue was about?  Were they mad about the sweat?  I don't see how you can fault a guy for sweating.  

Was it just that he was backing up?  If you watch it, yes he is defending, but he is circling and still attacking. In fact, he scored an additional pushout even after taking the 4-3 lead. Cox's stalling was not any more blatant than what you see in many other matches in the last minute or two.  

Uhh.. Who wouldn't? Name 1 wrestler that would tell the ref in the middle of the match "stop giving me the advantage and favored calls!"

Maybe. But he is still a heavy coddled, protected athlete with an indestructible sense of entitlement. Do I have to endorse that or call it classy? I'm not going to blame Burroughs for our crap system. But I am going to blame him for so blithely taking advantage of it. Eye pokes. Hands to the face. Punches/ Early shots. Knowing every close call will go his way, then acting like he won fair and square. It is extraordinary.  

I'm very interested to see if JB can get it done at least one more time so in that sense I'm not upset about the result. That being said, how can many of you not find JBs antics disgraceful? It just irks me that this is what he has to resort to in order to get it done. Nothing wrong with a little chippy wrestling every now and then but blatantly open palm slapping your opponent is ridiculous. These things would absolutely not be tolerated by someone like Gilman or Zain. End of rant

I'm very interested to see if JB can get it done at least one more time so in that sense I'm not upset about the result. That being said, how can many of you not find JBs antics disgraceful? It just irks me that this is what he has to resort to in order to get it done. Nothing wrong with a little chippy wrestling every now and then but blatantly open palm slapping your opponent is ridiculous. These things would absolutely not be tolerated by someone like Gilman or Zain. End of rant

How can one determine Dake tolerates this and Zain/Gilman do not?

They complain because US wrestling has set up a complete farce of a system, and they make it worse by showing overwhelming favoritism to the incumbent. JB is very hard to root for. Gets the benefit of every call and is dirty because he is allowed to get away with it. Then gloats about it. And no one can say that the challenge tournament did not screw both Dake and Taylor in addition to the bias. But Dake has been routinely screwed against JB. As I have said repeatedly, he cannot wrestle JB under US wrestling auspices and expect a fair shake.

Cox has a shot at a bronze. JB probably won't medal.

With Sadulaev moving up, why doesn't Cox have a shot at the gold?

No time to read this entire thread, but certain comments elicit a response.  Both Taylor and Dake hit a wall tactically and perhaps plain physically in their finals series.  Dake had commanding leads in both match 1 and 2 and lost them, then was just out of it from the start in match 3 (the punch to the face should have been penalized but wouldn't have affected the final score--giving up 2 takedown and 2 exposure effectively ended it.  Taylor, to me, had the match in hand in bout 3 and then lapsed mentally (or perhaps physically); his shots were not set up and giving up the inexplicable step out was hard to fathom.  Gilman showed it can be done, but he wasn't facing a finals opponent like Cox or JB, so his situation is the exception or outlier and not the norm.  If we think this is unfair to the challenge tourny winner, the only solution I can see is to have the best of three the next day after the challenge meet.

There was a second when Dake was down, after being punched in the eye, in which I thought he would just stay down and look for the D.Q. victory. I'm glad he didn't, but I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to have the refs simply refuse to enforce the rules on your opponent.

Does Anyone know what david Taylor was saying after his match?

Haven't heard anything, but he didn't show much class at the end of the match.  Kicking the block, pointing and yelling at the ref, and then not shaking Cox's hand after the match.  He may have felt that the reffing was bad, but what did he do to win the match?  In 2:50 after the injury, he was outscored 2-1.  He was the one who got caught in a near-side cradle and forced out, and he was the one who basically stepped out of bounds due to lack of awareness.  And the mat may have been slick, but Cox had to wrestle on the same mat and still kept scoring.  He can complain all he wants, but bottom line is DT didn't get the job done in the 2nd or 3rd match, 

Haven't heard anything, but he didn't show much class at the end of the match. Kicking the block, pointing and yelling at the ref, and then not shaking Cox's hand after the match. He may have felt that the reffing was bad, but what did he do to win the match? In 2:50 after the injury, he was outscored 2-1. He was the one who got caught in a near-side cradle and forced out, and he was the one who basically stepped out of bounds due to lack of awareness. And the mat may have been slick, but Cox had to wrestle on the same mat and still kept scoring. He can complain all he wants, but bottom line is DT didn't get the job done in the 2nd or 3rd match,

Agreed. Didn't expect that from Taylor. I get why he was upset, but it isn't Cox's fault. Take your losses like a man. Shake your opponent's hand.

I like Taylor. A lot. I rooted for him in college. I will root for him at worlds just as hard as I will root for Cox. Doesn't matter. He acted like a child last night.

How can one determine Dake tolerates this and Zain/Gilman do not?

What I meant was that if Zain or Gilman were the ones slapping in the manor that Burroughs was the officials wouldn't have tolerated it nor the public. I used them given their history. There are people saying that they liked what they seen from JB. That it showed a winning mindset. I find that to be BS but that's just me.