Sign in to follow this  
FLONYC13

FLO PRO

Remember the NWCA dual championship in Stillwater where Penn State lost what would have been their sixth national champ with Suriano breaking his foot? The stream went down and the service was poor. It was so bad that Floriani Tweeted that he would offer a one month refund, or two free months.  Then he went on one of Flo's radio programs and announced how seriously he takes quality assurance.

When I asked for the two free months instead of the one month refund I was told I needed to ask within 7 days, otherwise I'd be SOL.

I told them that I did ask for the two free months within a week of the Feb. 19th event. They said prove it. So I sent them proof.  They said, not good enough.  You're still SOL.

So I contacted my bank, and voila, I received two credits for the two months that FLO charged me, despite me telling them they were no longer authorized to charge my credit card.

Now they don't even offer single event (PPV) purchasing to events they bought the rights to thanks to investors.  I'd love to know who the investors are who put their faith into a company that is denying access to thousands of potential new fans of the great sport of wrestling because of their greed.

Greed is good.  It's time to compete. FREE live streaming on Periscope, Facebook, and Youtube is coming.  It's time we take back our sport.  It does not belong to FLO.  It belongs to everyone.

The real question is, does Flo allow the sport to grow or only allow the die hard fan to be more of a die hard? Few people who have a growing interest will pay money. Imo putting up a paywall for almost all major events will limit interest for a sport trying to grow.

The topic of growing the sport always comes up, especially in the college off season when we don't have as much to talk about. I think if we are looking un-biased at the situation we need to accept that Wrestling is not going to grow in the way we think/want it too. The message boards are filled with the die hards and the even more die hard fans that take time to keep up with it and post. Outside of that, Wrestling is just another Olympic style sport that will hit a ceiling, maybe already has. Outside of the Olympics you hear very little about T&F, Swimming, and Volleyball. I just don't see wrestling ever being the type of sport that is mainstreamed all year on ESPN.

People always talk about time to compete. There are several outlets already established that are letting Flo take the lead. The biggest thing Flo has going for them compared to the others is they are tapped in to roughly 12-15 other sports. They have taken Wrestling to a whole other level, but Martin and his brother seem like the only ones who were willing/able to do this.

Doesn't need the espn exposure. But I think you can get crossover interest. People have a growing interest in grappling/martial arts in general. It just so happens wrestling has the only one that is in the scholastic system and olympics which gives it much better events, story lines and makes it more interesting to follow. You would think having everything behind a paywall kills any kind of crossover interest that there would be.

Doesn't need the espn exposure. But I think you can get crossover interest. People have a growing interest in grappling/martial arts in general. It just so happens wrestling has the only one that is in the scholastic system and olympics which gives it much better events, story lines and makes it more interesting to follow. You would think having everything behind a paywall kills any kind of crossover interest that there would be.

The main event, biggest events for MMA are behind a pay wall. They have more events for free, because they appeal more, have a larger audience. MMA as much as it helps wrestlers bridge to a more lucrative career, might be the main reason we cant get tp the next level as the average person will gladly chip in to watch Rousey get the snot kicked out of her. Everyone has been in a street fight before. Wrestling takes way more research and time on the fans part to know everything going on. I've been following the sport for over 10 years, and I still have to check up on the rules as they are always changing.  

Exactly, people will pay to watch mma bc they get what it is and they always have. It's a fight. Why would anyone pay to watch wrestling out of curiosity? They won't. Only die hards will put down money for it. A curious person might follow it and gain interest if they did learn to understand it and were exposed to the story lines

Edited by russelscout

The worst part is the goal is to grow the sport not monopolize it and make it hard to watch. I get we all want to make money and it is their right. But without paying up there is no way to catch any of it. I guess it is either pay up or use social media

How much of that money goes to the universities or the athletes though? Has FLO ever cut a check to David Taylor or Jordan Burroughs? 10 to 1...they haven't.

FLO is profiting off other people's work (although FLO did build the site and has continued to improve it). I had a FLO membership and had similar issues to what I always read on this forum regarding customer service/accessibility. Suffice to say I cancelled my FLO membership within a month and it was a hassle to do so. That being said enough people are apparently happy that FLO seems to be thriving. I wish them the best since the events I did watch on FLO were superb, but I also would like to see the athletes get a cut of the "action", which is admittedly out of touch with reality. Seems like exploitation, to me. But, to wrestlers who never get to see the limelight except in our small community it's probably a privilege just to be shown wrestling on FLO.

Seriously? I honestly watched the World Team Trials live on my phone through crappy Indonesian 3G service on a boat in the middle of the Komodo National Park on a scuba trip.  The stream was pretty much flawless.  Watching live wrestling in one of the most remote locations on the planet is pretty freakin' cool.  All the Flo critics should probably step up and do better...but I doubt you will.  

Edited by matts1w

How much of that money goes to the universities or the athletes though? Has FLO ever cut a check to David Taylor or Jordan Burroughs? 10 to 1...they haven't.

FLO is profiting off other people's work (although FLO did build the site and has continued to improve it). I had a FLO membership and had similar issues to what I always read on this forum regarding customer service/accessibility. Suffice to say I cancelled my FLO membership within a month and it was a hassle to do so. That being said enough people are apparently happy that FLO seems to be thriving. I wish them the best since the events I did watch on FLO were superb, but I also would like to see the athletes get a cut of the "action", which is admittedly out of touch with reality. Seems like exploitation, to me. But, to wrestlers who never get to see the limelight except in our small community it's probably a privilege just to be shown wrestling on FLO.

Does ESPN cut a check to Lebron James? Does CBS cut a check to Tom Brady? The answer is NO. The NFL and NBA distribute profits to their teams who then distribute to their players. The teams then are required to spend a certain amount of money on the players that was negotiated in the CBA. 

It is up to USA wrestling to distribute the profits to either the clubs, regional training centers, or athletes. It is NOT Flo's job. They are paid by USA Wrestling to stream the events and that is it!

Remember the NWCA dual championship in Stillwater where Penn State lost what would have been their sixth national champ with Suriano breaking his foot? The stream went down and the service was poor. It was so bad that Floriani Tweeted that he would offer a one month refund, or two free months.  Then he went on one of Flo's radio programs and announced how seriously he takes quality assurance.

When I asked for the two free months instead of the one month refund I was told I needed to ask within 7 days, otherwise I'd be SOL.

I told them that I did ask for the two free months within a week of the Feb. 19th event. They said prove it. So I sent them proof.  They said, not good enough.  You're still SOL.

So I contacted my bank, and voila, I received two credits for the two months that FLO charged me, despite me telling them they were no longer authorized to charge my credit card.

Now they don't even offer single event (PPV) purchasing to events they bought the rights to thanks to investors.  I'd love to know who the investors are who put their faith into a company that is denying access to thousands of potential new fans of the great sport of wrestling because of their greed.

Greed is good.  It's time to compete. FREE live streaming on Periscope, Facebook, and Youtube is coming.  It's time we take back our sport.  It does not belong to FLO.  It belongs to everyone.

Hop down off the rock Bravehart.  Even though I'm critical of FLO and talk a lot of smack on them and their UNGODLY ads, Martin and that organization have done more for wrestling than the last 10 combined.

They have given the interested public an outlet where if they choose to do so, they are able to access thousands of hours of wrestling and related media.  Also, a large portion of this material is free!  Flo Docs, the Terry movie, technique, articles, etc.  

I imagine down the road they will adopt more and more of the UFC model, giving a mix of paid events vs free events, but we will have to see on that one.

At the end of the day, competition is a good thing and I hope organizations like Trackwrestling step up to the plate.  After a WTT like the one we just had, I would find it hard to believe SOMEONE isn't excited out there to jump into the right of wrestling coverage.  But until you, I or anyone else on this forum have the $$$ to do so, we need to be thankful FLO has come as far as it has for us.

Does ESPN cut a check to Lebron James? Does CBS cut a check to Tom Brady? The answer is NO. The NFL and NBA distribute profits to their teams who then distribute to their players. The teams then are required to spend a certain amount of money on the players that was negotiated in the CBA. 

It is up to USA wrestling to distribute the profits to either the clubs, regional training centers, or athletes. It is NOT Flo's job. They are paid by USA Wrestling to stream the events and that is it!

This is correct.  I don't even know how you expect FLO to be paying the athletes lol they are a media organization, not the body organization.

Exactly, people will pay to watch mma bc they get what it is and they always have. It's a fight. Why would anyone pay to watch wrestling out of curiosity? They won't. Only die hards will put down money for it. A curious person might follow it and gain interest if they did learn to understand it and were exposed to the story lines

Wrestling is also a hard sport to cover in that at tournaments there are multiple mats. A few years back before ESPN provided full coverage for the NCAAs people were always complaining about the TV coverage, and them jumping mats, and what matches ESPN was choosing to show. The big time providers who can show it on cable, aren't gonna mess with going to tournaments and offer multiple camera angles for the Harris Nichols Open. ESPN does occasionally cover Wrestling on ESPN 3, web service mostly. But that is how they cover the other 75 percent of college sports that are considered minor sports.

It's too bad so few will get to watch it

It's obvious you have a sour taste towards Flo for charging for their services. You are more than entitled to that opinion. People always talk about other sports for "free". I was paying 150 dollars a month to have cable included with my internet, I watched about 6 of the 200 channels. I gladly will pay Flo 150 dollars for a year to get all the access they provide, that I want to watch.

Actually, they pay USAW for the right to broadcast it. 

Hop down off the rock Bravehart.

You ask me to hop down off the rock and make no point except to speculate about what you think a group of guys with a history of not giving warranted refunds of $20 bucks will do to give back to a sport that now has less access to the general public. FLO works great for families with kids who wrestle. Flo falls way short when it comes to reaching new fans b/c of their paywall, and abuse of exclusive rights acquisitions obtained by the help of their investors.

My experience with their billing and credit department was borderline abusive.  And for what?

I had to laugh when I was watching this guy's Periscope of Flo's broadcast (which I think is illegal), and he kept having to refresh his screen because of the horrible rebuffering problem that had us miss the end of the Taylor Cox ending.  The guy's Periscope worked fine, I felt bad for the man who had to deal with Flo's crappy connection.

I'd gladly pay $150 / year for a reputable company that treats their customers right, and delivers a product that is of good quality. NBC Sports Channel, BTN, BTN2Go, and ESPN3 all deliver a far superior product, at a price that makes a lot more sense. I get ESPN3 and BTN with my cable package, and I happily pay CBS all-access or FCS a monthly fee for the four months out of the year.  Flo's pricing structure is out of whack, and the quality of their programming is flaky at best.

You ask me to hop down off the rock and make no point except to speculate about what you think a group of guys with a history of not giving warranted refunds of $20 bucks will do to give back to a sport that now has less access to the general public. FLO works great for families with kids who wrestle. Flo falls way short when it comes to reaching new fans b/c of their paywall, and abuse of exclusive rights acquisitions obtained by the help of their investors.

My experience with their billing and credit department was borderline abusive.  And for what?

I had to laugh when I was watching this guy's Periscope of Flo's broadcast (which I think is illegal), and he kept having to refresh his screen because of the horrible rebuffering problem that had us miss the end of the Taylor Cox ending.  The guy's Periscope worked fine, I felt bad for the man who had to deal with Flo's crappy connection.

I'd gladly pay $150 / year for a reputable company that treats their customers right, and delivers a product that is of good quality. NBC Sports Channel, BTN, BTN2Go, and ESPN3 all deliver a far superior product, at a price that makes a lot more sense. I get ESPN3 and BTN with my cable package, and I happily pay CBS all-access or FCS a monthly fee for the four months out of the year.  Flo's pricing structure is out of whack, and the quality of their programming is flaky at best.

There must be two Flowrestling companies out there. I have never had an issue getting help from their support, they even cancelled one of my accounts when I accidently had two going, and the problem was fixed immediately. I'm not saying I haven't had them accidently take too much money from me, but when I politely emailed them, and was patient the issue was quickly resolved.

I think in our fast paced society we forget that things like internet are still developing. A streaming event depends on the viewer and the presenter (in the cases where the event doesn't have the best to work with for Flo. Perhaps this guy was maxing out his wi-fi and that caused the buffer, as I had a perfect stream for the entire 3 hours of viewing.

Nope. And it's because Lebron James and Tom Brady are professional athletes. Did FLO pay the universities for the rights to broadcast their duals/tournaments, etc? Does US Wrestling own broadcast rights to NCAA wrestling?  If not...then I'll go on record and say it's a near-miracle FLO hasn't  been sued already. If wrestling wasn't "beneath the notice" of lawyers, unlike all the high revenue sports, FLO probably would have a target on it's head like college football and college bball.

Edited by TobusRex

Nope. And it's because Lebron James and Tom Brady are professional athletes. Did FLO pay the universities for the rights to broadcast their duals/tournaments, etc? Does US Wrestling own broadcast rights to NCAA wrestling?  If not...then I'll go on record and say it's a near-miracle FLO hasn't  been sued already. If wrestling wasn't "beneath the notice" of lawyers, unlike all the high revenue sports, FLO probably would have a target on it's head like college football and college bball.

I know they pay OSU for their duals. Do not assume that they are just racking in the dollars without paying out broadcast rights.