Rei Higuchi, i'm guessing.  Came out of basically nowhere to storm to the Rio finals, and arguably got jobbed on a couple critical calls against Khinchegashvili in a great match.  It would seem that Gilman is right that preparing to beat Ramos wouldn't accomplish his goals, since Tony isn't close to those guys at the moment.

Edited by GoNotQuietly

And I love talking about how the Japanese cats come out of the woodwork every Olympic cycle to bash some favorites, especially at the lower weights.  It's a shame they don't have anything under 57kgs to see some of these guys let it fly.

Really, calling a guy the Jap? Whether that ignorant redneck knows or not, that's about as offensive as calling a black guy the N-word.

Agreed. If Gilman gets the spot for team USA I wonder if UWW will step in and disallow his entry at the World Championships?

Rei Higuchi, i'm guessing.  Came out of basically nowhere to storm to the Rio finals, and arguably got jobbed on a couple critical calls against Khinchegashvili in a great match.  It would seem that Gilman is right that preparing to beat Ramos wouldn't accomplish his goals, since Tony isn't close to those guys at the moment.

Ahhhhh

Edited by Cletus_Tucker

It's definitely not a good look, but it's not like calling a black guy the N-word.  There is a difference between offensive and utterly indefensible.  More similar to calling a jewish guy a 'jew', in that it is context dependent.  Still, our wrestlers could use some basic media training, especially if we are going to keep shoving mics in their face right after they get off the mat.  Words have consequence and importance.

Edit: I have no business parsing which racist phrases are "worse", and I apologize.

Edited by GoNotQuietly

Stop the PC crap. Let people of any nation say what they want as long as laws are not broken. This is wrestling not playing barbie's A hole. I would not say that but stop that crap. Clint Eastwood was right about America!

Nothing PC about calling out racism. This isn't a free speech argument. If you say stupid racist sh!t you will have to deal with people calling you an idiot and a racist. Edited by Chingadiculous

Proposal to turn this into the Rei Higuchi appreciation thread.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/rei-higuchi-beats-hassan-rahimi-10-5-57kg-semifinals

I'm all for that, but I also think some interesting points came up from a completely unintended OP and we shouldn't shy away from that.   

Is this an Iowa thing, or just a Gilman thing?   

It's definitely not a good look, but it's not like calling a black guy the N-word. There is a difference between offensive and utterly indefensible. More similar to calling a jewish guy a 'jew', in that it is context dependent. Still, our wrestlers could use some basic media training, especially if we are going to keep shoving mics in their face right after they get off the mat. Words have consequence and importance.

Ask someone who was in a Japanese internment camp how much venom is in that word.

Nothing PC about calling out racism. This isn't a free speech argument. If you say stupid racist sh!t you will have to deal with people calling you an idiot and a racist.

Race card. Good grief give him a break man. Talk to him about it and be done with it. He just came out of a battle. People always looking to hang people when their feelings get hurt. Grow a pair!