Just came across my email

"I meant no disrespect when referencing Japanese wrestler Rei Higuchi. The context of my comment was intended to pay respect to one of the top wrestlers in the word, but my choice of words contradicted that message. It was a mistake and I apologize." - Thomas Gilman per IAWrestle.

My favorite part is that I added the "- Thomas Gilman per IAWrestle" thing myself to the other post since that was not how the statement was released but it still made it in your buddy's email. Crazy coincidence.

Good for your grandfather.  He reminds me of a black college professor I had when pursuing a masters degree in a night program.  He was from Trinidad and Tobago and dressed very causally (e.g., blue jeans, etc.)  A couple of times he was assumed to be the janitor and an administrator or other staff person would ask him to take out the garbage.  Instead of objecting, he just played along and complied with their request.  

Needless to say, some very embarrassed people would approach him later with profuse apologies, some obviously worried about their continued employment.  But, again, he'd downplay the whole episode saying; "No problem. You just made an honest mistake.  Don't worry about it."

People like that professor (and your grandfather) have probably done far more to debunk stereotypes and improve race relations than all the so-called social justice warriors will ever accomplish.  Much more effective than expressing outrage, which may often be counter-productive, especially when its just feigned as increasingly occurs (if we want to be honest about it).  

JMHO though.  I'm sure there are many that would disagree.

Couldn't this be an example of people looking for latent racism and finding it where it may not be?  An old dude dressed in jeans in an academic building might just be a janitor, irregardless of race.  Professors tend to dress professionally in most cases and students are generally younger.  The apology from those who made the mistake may have been simple courtesy, rather the desire to remain employed and/or excuse their alleged racism.  The story fills in the blanks with a bit of what seems to be a predetermined narrative.  We can take that same story and spin it 100 other ways too based on our individual subjective expectations about what peoples' motivations are.     Maybe the professor looked strong for instance and the person asking had a back injury.  Did this really happen a couple of times, or just once but made for an interesting story to illuminate what the professor was interested in teaching?  What course was the professor teaching?  just curious.  I had a Sociology professor in college who saw racism in anything and everything.  He was an interesting professor, but not very convincing.  Confirmation bias is just as real as racism..  

Gilman has never been a polished interview.  The use of the word was unfortunate, but I am not convinced everyone knows it is considered offensive.  

My favorite part is that I added the "- Thomas Gilman per IAWrestle" thing myself to the other post since that was not how the statement was released but it still made it in your buddy's email. Crazy coincidence.

Yeah that was my favorite part as well.   I wondered to myself, why is wrestlingphish on my balls like a gnat on a a dog's d!k?   What other post?   So I clicked the new topics button and then it became clear.  You made a topic on it hoping to capitalize on the popularity of this one, and when I updated everyone here with the topic you created, you were threatened I would steal your thunder.    I thought lets copy his post to a T, and post it here so he we can see him whine even more.      

Thanks for the clarification and apology, Thomas Gilman. You wrestled an outstanding an tournament. I formally retract my statement in calling you racist.

Kudos BTF on sticking to your word.    And to think several called for removing this topic and burying the act. 

So in summary....

Cletus starts a thread with a nugget of Op-research against Iowa, this time it's Gilman. Assumes the worst, and then, along with his fellow PSU trolls Hurricane, BTF and Lemonpie keep it going for 18 pages. 

Gilman meant no offense and apologized, but no matter. The plan worked, with 18 pages of hatred and garbage. 

Cletus and Hurricane.... that is what they do.

So in summary....

Cletus starts a thread with a nugget of Op-research against Iowa, this time it's Gilman. Assumes the worst, and then, along with his fellow PSU trolls Hurricane, BTF and Lemonpie keep it going for 18 pages.

Gilman meant no offense and apologized, but no matter. The plan worked, with 18 pages of hatred and garbage.

Or I was genuinely offended due to the word that was used represents a dark part of my heritage. He apologized and I accepted it. I am by no means a PSU troll. I am a fan but will call even them out when I feel they are in the wrong and my being a PSU fan had zero to do with my anger. I stated in another thread I was disappointed in how Taylor behaved after the match. I stated in another thread how i didnt like Mark Hall's pose after winnijg NCAAs. Ive gotten into numerous arguements with other PSU fans who imo were being blinded by their fandom of PSU. I was accused of trying to play the role of victim here after explaining my heritage. My anger with the word had NOTHING to do with wrestling. Much if the 18 plus pages were me defending my heritage and explaining why the word is offensive with others trying to justify the use of the word due to ignorance. Before hearing or reading about the quote I even complimented Gilman on his performance up until that point. With that said, hats off to Gilman for the apology. I no longer believe he is a racist. If David Taylor my favorite wrestler said the same thing I would have been equally offended and angered.

You on the other hand are trying to stir the pot after the issue was seemingly resolved. I got news for you buddy. In the real world if you use a racial slur, regardless of intent there's a high probability you will be called a racist.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

IMO his apology was the bare minimum that he needed to do, which is enough for most people on this forum.

If he really wanted to provide a sincere apology he wouldn't offer an excuse that he "intended to pay respect" to Higuchi. Just apologizing for the language and assuring people you will no longer utilize such hurtful words in the future would have been better. But he instead just says he used a bad choice of words. Was this guy born in a hole? Is this the type of language that is used in the Hawkeye wrestling room? Considering that a plethora of Hawkeye wrestlers tend to emulate the speech patterns and vocabulrary of Tom Brands I have to wonder if this is a case of wrestler see wrestler do? I have no clue if this is so, but when cases such as these come out in the open I have to ask these questions.

If Mr. Gilman wants to be made whole again he is going to have to do more than just provide a brief half hearted excuse plagued apology. I recommend that he reads up on Japanese American internment during World War Two, visit the Japanese American Internment Musuem, speak to or write to the victims of internment to learn more about their experiences (George Takei is a good source) and then do some reflection on his choice of words. The ball is in you court Mr. Gilman.

So in summary....

The most paranoid man in America makes his way over here to make this about his team and himself.        

Rosie, I asked a legit question and I was provided an answer very early on in the topic.     That said, however, several others chimed in and pointed out the slur which had sailed over my head.    I guess I was so focused on trying to identify who the Japanese wrestler Gilman referred to was, I missed it entirely.  And that was dumb.   It should have shocked me upon reading it and been the primary issue.     I missed it and that's on me.    

Upon realizing it, i needed to make a decision.    What to do about the topic?    Bury it as numerous urged me and mods to do ?    Just pretend it didn't happen and kill it?     Ignore how it affected at least one valued forum member and possibly several others who expressed their displeasure?   

Rosie, I don't know how they do things over there in Santa Maria, but on my watch, we stand up for our own and we clean up our home so issues/matters of this serious nature aren't allowed to manifest.       And what happened as we continued to express disappointment and concern?     He did it again.    Against the guarantees of several on this topic that it would not happen again, he does it again.   But you know what Rosie, another member on this board posted and assured us it would be addressed.   He told us he's in the industry.    Forward to this afternoon and sure enough Gilman got the message.   I don't know how that conversation went, but I can tell you he addressed it and he issued an apology.   

But instead of coming here to give thanks to all those involved in raising this issue and leading to Gilman changing his tune, instead you're here complaining.          Rosie let me ask you, would you have preferred we don't say anything and instead we allow him to make it to Paris where he promptly pulls the stunt again and even repeatedly like he did on Saturday?     Would that have made you feel better?    Instead of humiliating himself domestically, allow him to embarrass us all on a world stage?    And not only embarrass, but label us racists?      Is that what you would prefer?    Let me tell you the worst part, it's now how we would have felt or appeared, he may have harmed others with his careless (if not deliberate) choice of slur.    

Rosie I get it, you're hell bent on attacking me and those on the list you created above.    That's clear.   But can you do it when we're not trying to protect our sport and our foreign neighbors in wrestling?     

IMO his apology was the bare minimum that he needed to do, which is enough for most people on this forum.

If he really wanted to provide a sincere apology he wouldn't offer an excuse that he "intended to pay respect" to Higuchi. Just apologizing for the language and assuring people you will no longer utilize such hurtful words in the future would have been better. But he instead just says he used a bad choice of words. Was this guy born in a hole? Is this the type of language that is used in the Hawkeye wrestling room? Considering that a plethora of Hawkeye wrestlers tend to emulate the speech patterns and vocabulrary of Tom Brands I have to wonder if this is a case of wrestler see wrestler do? I have no clue if this is so, but when cases such as these come out in the open I have to ask these questions.

If Mr. Gilman wants to be made whole again he is going to have to do more than just provide a brief half hearted excuse plagued apology. I recommend that he reads up on Japanese American internment during World War Two, visit the Japanese American Internment Musuem, speak to or write to the victims of internment to learn more about their experiences (George Takei is a good source) and then do some reflection on his choice of words. The ball is in you court Mr. Gilman.

From my vantage point the apology is enough. I'm all for second chances even when it comes to things of this magnitude, and at least from me Gilman is getting a second chance.

However, if he does it again doing even what you suggest wouldn't be enough for me.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

I just finally watched the video.

I dont think he meant any disrespect.

how do you say 'the person from japan'?

he said the georgian.

there is no japanian...

i want to get ready for the japanese... that doesn't work.

18 pages about a true nothing burger 

I just finally watched the video.

I dont think he meant any disrespect.

how do you say 'the person from japan'?

he said the georgian.

there is no japanian...

i want to get ready for the japanese... that doesn't work.

18 pages about a true nothing burger

How do you say 'the person from Japan'?

THE PERSON FROM JAPAN

Just like people from Ireland and France.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

american

russian

czech

bulgarian

brit

frenchy

german

turk

armenian

jap.

some are truncated, some are not.

it's language and it's limitations. 

Edited by GockeS

american

russian

czech

bulgarian

brit

frenchy

german

turk

armenian

jap.

some are truncated, some are not.

it's language and it's limitations.

WHAT DON'T YOU GET ABOUT THE WORD "JAP" ITS BEEN CLEARLY EXPLAINED ON HERE. IT IS A RACIAL SLUR. YOU KNOW THE MEANING YET YOU DELIBERATELY USE IT.

IT IS NOT OK TO USE THAT WORD!!!

GockeS

How would you say "Chinese man"?

The English language's "limitations" are nit justification for using the a slur. Gilman owned up to his error, NOW ITS YOUR TURN!

Edited by BigTenFanboy

do you know the word most japanese have for us?

get off my case buddy.

what other word would you use when describing where they are from..it doesn't exist... and when he is talking quickly and used the word georgian, could not come up with the next word ... so said Jap. 

nothing burger.

boy i bet my joke would really set you off snowflake.

do you know the word most japanese have for us?

get off my case buddy.

what other word would you use when describing where they are from..it doesn't exist... and when he is talking quickly and used the word georgian, could not come up with the next word ... so said Jap. 

nothing burger.

boy i bet my joke would really set you off snowflake.

If you know the word is offensive and you use it intentionally you're a Racist.